Fuses.....?

leximann

Okay, so I got some interior dash lights and have decided to hook them up to a fuse (at least 10AMP), what would be the best way to go about doing this, the instructions say use an add-a-circuit, where can I pick one of these up? Also where are the holes that run through the firewall so I can thread to the fuse box? Thanks!

As for a circuit, do you mean a circuit breaker? If that is the case, you can purchase one of those at the local auto parts store or on amazon for a few bucks. There is a hole in the firewall on the left side of the brake pedal and up a little bit. Also, you can reach the fuse box by using the hole that can be seen if you pop open the side dash panel on the passenger side as seen in eddies walmart rock light install thread.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Okay, so I got some interior dash lights and have decided to hook them up to a fuse (at least 10AMP), what would be the best way to go about doing this, the instructions say use an add-a-circuit, where can I pick one of these up? Also where are the holes that run through the firewall so I can thread to the fuse box? Thanks!

First, the side panels on your dash pop off very easily. You will see a hole with yellowish foam insulation in it. You can poke a metal hanger or long screwdriver through it and into the engine bay (actually, the hole comes out above the engine bay but beneath the side cowl.) Hard to explain without a picture but you will be able to see what I mean when you push a hanger through. If you have an automatic, you can also get more direct access to the bay through a grommet in the firewall where the clutch pedal would be. Daystar makes a great grommet boot for use in that spot if you have an automatic.

Second, while some people certainly do it, I am not a huge fan of tapping into the actual fuse box. You have to make a hole in the box or cover and it just doesn't seem worth the risk to me that water will get in. I would either use a separate switched and fused system with a relay or, if you want the lights to come on and dim with your actual dash lights, figure out a way to tap your dash light wire as a switch for a relay that then turns your new lights.

Other people may have some additional ideas.

Post up pics when you are done.

leximann

First, the side panels on your dash pop off very easily. You will see a hole with yellowish foam insulation in it. You can poke a metal hanger or long screwdriver through it and into the engine bay (actually, the hole comes out above the engine bay but beneath the side cowl.) Hard to explain without a picture but you will be able to see what I mean when you push a hanger through. If you have an automatic, you can also get more direct access to the bay through a grommet in the firewall where the clutch pedal would be. Daystar makes a great grommet boot for use in that spot if you have an automatic.

Second, while some people certainly do it, I am not a huge fan of tapping into the actual fuse box. You have to make a hole in the box or cover and it just doesn't seem worth the risk to me that water will get in. I would either use a separate switched and fused system with a relay or, if you want the lights to come on and dim with your actual dash lights, figure out a way to tap your dash light wire as a switch for a relay that then turns your new lights.

Other people may have some additional ideas.

Post up pics when you are done.

Well that was just one option in the included instructions. The other was to connect it directly to the battery, by going through the firewall and connecting the red to the positive post in the battery, and black to a ground source. Would this be easier? How would I attach the red?

Well that was just one option in the included instructions. The other was to connect it directly to the battery, by going through the firewall and connecting the red to the positive post in the battery, and black to a ground source. Would this be easier? How would I attach the red?

Attaching directly to the battery would be easier. Attach the power wire using a red ring terminal that can be purchased from almost any hardware or automotive store. Depending on where the ground wire is, attach that to a ground on the body or run that to the ground terminal of the battery using a black ring terminal

Sharkey

Word Ninja

I guess my first question would be how do you want the lights to turn on? Will you be turning it on with a separate switch of some kind? Also, what kind of lights? I'm guessing an led or multiple led's. Are they connected together or is there a separate + and - wire for each led?

The basic build components I use are as follows:

Switch (if it has a light, it will have three wires - ground, power, and load);
SPST Relay (it will have a ground, an output wire to your accessory/light, a fused power wire coming from the positive batter post, and an input for the load wire coming off of the switch);
Accessory/Light (it will typically have a positive and negative. Usually, the negative is grounded to the frame somewhere and the positive accepts the output wire from the Relay).

Generally speaking, I think most people fuse any wire with power running through it (I do unless I am tapping an existing power wire in the cab that is already fused.) However, when I tap an existing power wire, I'm only doing it to supply power to the tiny led in a switch...NOT to run an actual accessory or to serve as the power source for a relay.

leximann

I guess my first question would be how do you want the lights to turn on? Will you be turning it on with a separate switch of some kind? Also, what kind of lights? I'm guessing an led or multiple led's. Are they connected together or is there a separate + and - wire for each led?

The basic build components I use are as follows:

Switch (if it has a light, it will have three wires - ground, power, and load);
SPST Relay (it will have a ground, an output wire to your accessory/light, a fused power wire coming from the positive batter post, and an input for the load wire coming off of the switch);
Accessory/Light (it will typically have a positive and negative. Usually, the negative is grounded to the frame somewhere and the positive accepts the output wire from the Relay).

Generally speaking, I think most people fuse any wire with power running through it (I do unless I am tapping an existing power wire in the cab that is already fused.) However, when I tap an existing power wire, I'm only doing it to supply power to the tiny led in a switch...NOT to run an actual accessory or to serve as the power source for a relay.

The kit came with a switch included, to change modes. It has a red and black that need to be connected to the battery + and ground, which will power the accessory..

Sharkey

Word Ninja
View attachment 74806 Would the black hole in the top left be what I'm looking for? It has a sticky outer surface..?

Yep. If you go that route, I would highly suggest the Daystar boot.

If you aren't going to use a relay then I would suggest putting an inline fuse on the power (red) wire and then attaching it to the power terminal on the battery with a ring connector.

Top Bottom