Gas overflow on 1998 tj

Jeepguy3

Hi, I'm a newbie here and I have a problem filling up my tj. It's a 1998 tj with a 4.0 I-6, 3.25 Suspension lift, 1.25 body lift, and it has a 20 gallon tank. When I fill the jeep up to full, the pump doesn't sense back pressure and shuts itself off. It keeps filling and it overflow out of the top of the gas tank toward the front of the jeep on driverside like a faucet open all the way. Does anybody know what could be the problem? Thanks guys and I appreciate the help.

pvanweelden

It's actually either a 15 gallon or a 19 gallon tank for a 97-99 tj.
I always had issues with the gas pump shutting off, the trick I found was pulling the nozzle out of the fill tube a little at a time until it stayed on. Not sure about it not shutting off on you :(

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeepguy3

Oh ya that right, I forgot that. Mine is a 19 gallon. My problem is the opposite. The pump won't shut off and it keeps fill till it spray out of the top of the tank under the jeep. Has anybody ever had that problem?

Jiffy05

I wish I could help but I have the same problem as pvanweelden. It is such a pain to try and get gas anywhere with it.

Cbking

If it comes out of the top of the tank under the jeep it almost sounds like the filler neck is broken where it connect to the tank. My buddies tacoma had that issue so u just couldn't fill it all the way.

Woody3

My guess would be along the lines of Cbking. Maybe your filler hose has a crack or is loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is possible that the tanks are both 19 gallons. BUT, the vent for the overflow extends down about 4 inches inside the 15 gallon rated tank, and the 19 gallon has the vent tube flush with the top of the tank. This was how some guys would mod their tanks, so they could get the extra 4 gallons in. if that is what you have, the fuel will spray out if it is completely full, as the air pressure is pushing the fuel up and out of the overflow on the opposite side of the tank from the filler.

MC2003TJ

I would say that the fuel that is leaking out of the drivers side is related to all of the filler neck and vent hoses. Check all hoses for proper fitment and tightness from the filler spout to the tank.

On another note: I have a 2003 Tj and it was nearly impossible to get gas into the tank when at the gas station. I did some research and found out that the vent hose on the late model TJ's got changed to a very small hose let's say 1/8" or maybe 1/4". The older TJ's had a 3/8" or 1/2" hose as part of the filler spout assembly. I bought the whole filler spout assembly from a 1997 TJ off of ebay for $25 with all of the hoses, clamps and gas cap. Installed everything and now gas goes into the tank properly at the gas station. I am sure that Jeep changed all of this to meet smog testing requirements because the small vent hose ties into the evap purge tank circuit. I have had it installed for a year now and no check engine light issues and the California smog testing station didn't say anything when it got tested. It is all consealed under the back corner panel so unless you know what you are looking for you would never know the difference. It only makes sense that you need the proper sized vent to accomodate the amount of fuel displacement that you are putting in. BTW... I have a custom 27 gallon stainless steel gas tank and it would take me forever to fill up. I was very desperate to find a solution. People would get pissed off waiting for me to finish.

I hope this is helpful to some of my fellow TJ owners.

Jeepguy3

Woody3, no I still haven't figure it out, with this random weather here in good old Michigan and working long hours, the jeep is on the back burner for a bit. But when I find out, I'll let you guys know. :)

Top Bottom