tire question

2014billet

I've made up my mind and am going to go with a set of 285/75/17 trail grappler mt's. my question is do they only come in 10 ply? i have 10 ply tires on my plow truck and can't imagine needing 10 ply tires on a jeep. i would think a 6ply would be better for the weight of the jeep, but it seems like all 17's are load 10 ply. thanks in advance for any help.:beer:

Beyrgut

It's an E rated tire so should be 10 Ply.

Link to sizes/specs

Note at bottom of page link

LT tires with a "C" load range have a 6-ply rating. LT tires with a "D" load range have an 8-ply rating.
LT Tires with an "E" load range have a 10-ply rating.

2014billet

I understand that an E rated tire is a 10ply and a D is an 8 ply. But isn't that for hauling weight. Load range E tires are rated to carry over 3500# each. Will they air down and do well off road or when I get to silver lake and let them down will they flex and do what a load range C will?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you watch the first episode of the 2013 JKX sponsored by Nitto you will see how they air down. Also with the more ply rating will give you a stronger sidewall which can reduce the possibility of sidewall failure on the trail.

R/
Will

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Not sure of its an option for you but the 315/70r17 trail grapplers are d rated

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

2014billet

I'll watch that again soon as I get these kids ready for school. I'm assuming they must be fine. I just know that on my full size truck when I went to a load range e it was a huge difference in thé ride even with half the air in them that they call for. But there is a lot less side wall on a stock size tire.

2014billet

Just bought the Rancho 2" sport lift. 35 would be great but a little to much for that lift.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My mud grappler are E rated. They flex great on the trail and are good on the street. I even had my stepdad get E rated Goodyear duratrac's for his xterra. He only goes wheeling 1-2 times a year with me but I told him to get them for trailering out boat. The thicker sidewall will help.

Sent from my iPhone

2014billet

Already tried talking the wife into letting me cut them. She hates the look of any of the flat ones.

Already tried talking the wife into letting me cut them. She hates the look of any of the flat ones.

Give it time.... Mine did too, and then after three weeks of getting involved with a local club and her seeing more she changed her mind. Then after we took on some damage with the stockers she wanted the PSC aluminium narrow ones so that's what we have now.

Top Bottom