Gonna beef up my d30 a little

Chevy Dave

So I wanna beef up my front d30 on my 2014 2dr sport. So far I plan to throw in an aussie locker with a nicer diff cover and weld in some c gussets. I currenty run 33s and do not plan to ever go bigger than 35s. I am on a college student budget so I do not plan to go tol extreme nor wheel it too extreme. Do you guys think I should invest in chromoly axle shafts with nicer ujoints with full circle clips? If so, what is an affordable option? Am I on the right track so far? Will a lunchbox locker and c gussets be good enough for mild wheeling and lots of daily driving? Do I need chromos too?
Thanks!

noroad

So I wanna beef up my front d30 on my 2014 2dr sport. So far I plan to throw in an aussie locker with a nicer diff cover and weld in some c gussets. I currenty run 33s and do not plan to ever go bigger than 35s. I am on a college student budget so I do not plan to go tol extreme nor wheel it too extreme. Do you guys think I should invest in chromoly axle shafts with nicer ujoints with full circle clips? If so, what is an affordable option? Am I on the right track so far? Will a lunchbox locker and c gussets be good enough for mild wheeling and lots of daily driving? Do I need chromos too?
Thanks!

I would look into the lunchbox locker i thought i read some place that is doesnt work in the new jeeps! Also you do know that a shinny poop is till just a poop right lol, but C's are a must!

Chevy Dave

I know that the dana 30 is a turd but I am stuck with it until this thing is paid off. I just wanna make this thing a little more capable. How hard is it to weld in the c gussets? What all do I need to remove?

Chevy Dave

Oh and as for the locker, several companies make one that works in the Jk platform, I don't see why it wouldn't work

Chevy Dave

Awesome info, thank you! I found the poly performance gussets for $65 so I will probably order those.
Done a bit of research and it seems like I shouldn't need chromos for now.
Anyone have any thoughts on the front lunchbox locker? I never use 4wd on the street so I think it should be fine still for a daily driver

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Chromoly shafts are not a bad idea but are not needed either. I recently just broke my d30 shaft (well the gf did wheeling) and replaced them with TEN factory shafts. Basically any chromoly shaft with full circle clips will be the same.

As far as the locker goes I left my front open and locked the rear with an ARB. It's expensive but worth it. I do my best to never use it tho. It makes you a better driver IMO the less you try to lock.

Sent from my iPhone

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Awesome info, thank you! I found the poly performance gussets for $65 so I will probably order those.
Done a bit of research and it seems like I shouldn't need chromos for now.
Anyone have any thoughts on the front lunchbox locker? I never use 4wd on the street so I think it should be fine still for a daily driver

Save yourself $5 and get EVO gussets. As for the locker, I'd leave it open. Installing a locker will cause more damage and completely counteract the idea of beefing up the D30. The locker will just put more stress on the other axle components. All I plan on doing to my D30 is gussets and chromo shafts. Better off saving the extra money for a PR44. But I want my D30 to last until I have the money for the PR.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Save yourself $5 and get EVO gussets. As for the locker, I'd leave it open. Installing a locker will cause more damage and completely counteract the idea of beefing up the D30. The locker will just put more stress on the other axle components. All I plan on doing to my D30 is gussets and chromo shafts. Better off saving the extra money for a PR44. But I want my D30 to last until I have the money for the PR.

Being that he doesn't plan to go bigger then 35's he can lock the front and should be fine. You run into issues with the lower gears and lockers which he won't need such low gears for 35's. Also no need to get a PR44 for 35's really until the 30 breaks. While the D30 is a turd it's more then enough for 33's.

But I do agree with the EVO gussets. Also they were the first ones to make gussets for the JK's.

Chevy Dave

Thanks a ton for all the input guys I really appreciate it!
I agree that I'd rather have an open front and locked rear but I just can't afford that right now. I do enough wheeling to where I think I am good enough with modulating the brakes so that a front locker would benefit me more anyway with smaller tires. I think I will save up for the TEN factory chromos and do the locker and gussets for now.
I also plan to do BDS front upper and lower control arms so with the added benefits from that this should be a pretty capable two door on 33s.
Thanks again for all the advice everyone!

Just to clear any confusion up about if a lunch box locker works in a dana 30, it will. A dana 30 is a dana 30 no matter if its in a jk xj or zj or wj. The confusion might come from what transfer case a jeep has. some jeeps come with a full time 4 wheel drive transfer case in which you wouldnt run a lunch box locker in. Trying to drive around town with a full time locker up front always engaged wouldn't be fun. I dont know all the details about wranglers but i dont think they came with the full time full wheel drive option like other Jeep models so noting to b worry about. End of side note :)

1BAMFR

The D30 if properly strengthened is a great axle, I wheel a lot and have never had an issue.

37s, locked, 4.88s, sleeves, gussets, RCV axles.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Being that he doesn't plan to go bigger then 35's he can lock the front and should be fine. You run into issues with the lower gears and lockers which he won't need such low gears for 35's. Also no need to get a PR44 for 35's really until the 30 breaks. While the D30 is a turd it's more then enough for 33's.

But I do agree with the EVO gussets. Also they were the first ones to make gussets for the JK's.

Didn't catch the part about going no bigger than 35s. Guess with chromoly shafts, probably won't be much different than a stock Rubicon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The D30 if properly strengthened is a great axle, I wheel a lot and have never had an issue.

37s, locked, 4.88s, sleeves, gussets, RCV axles.

Please don't take this the wrong way but, your idea of wheeling a lot may not be everyone's idea of wheeling a lot. Depending on how you play, where you play and how much is really a lot, no amount of strengthening will prevent a D30 from bending axle tubes at the diff or breaking shafts deep inside the housing especially when running 37's. At least, that's what the last 7+ years of working on JK's has shown me.

1BAMFR

Please don't take this the wrong way but, your idea of wheeling a lot may not be everyone's idea of wheeling a lot. Depending on how you play, where you play and how much is really a lot, no amount of strengthening will prevent a D30 from bending axle tubes at the diff or breaking shafts deep inside the housing especially when running 37's.

I hear ya...You and I have had this debate for 2 years:yup:

I am not "easy" on my Jeep....It always holds up to my abuse, but I spent a lot on my D30.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks!

Being that you won't be going bigger than 35's, you should be fine with that setup but, I should caution you about installing a locker of any kind up front being that you live in an area that I would assume sees snow and ice. Even a luncbox locker can make this difficult if not dangerous. If you can't afford to install a selectable locker, I might recommend that you install something like a TrueTrac.

Regarding chromoly shafts, yes, I would recommend getting them with full circle clips. This alone will help prevent the most common form of front axle shaft failure which is a break at the yoke due to a lost bearing cap.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hear ya...You and I have had this debate for 2 years:yup:

I am not "easy" on my Jeep....It always holds up to my abuse, but I spent a lot on my D30.

Not trying to belittle what you're saying but, there's really no debate. While I'm sure you feel that you're not easy on your Jeep, I just think you'd have to spend some time out in the left coast to put a little perspective on things. :yup:

1BAMFR

Not trying to belittle what you're saying but, there's really no debate. While I'm sure you feel that you're not easy on your Jeep, I just think you'd have to spend some time out in the left coast to put a little perspective on things. :yup:

What would you do if I came to your playground and my built D30 stood up to the plate and survived?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What would you do if I came to your playground and my built D30 stood up to the plate and survived?

:cheesy: I'd count my blessings of course! Seriously, nothing sucks more than having a rig break down on a trail 10-100 miles away from the closest anything. Having said that, come on out and I'd be more than happy to show you around. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you went where the JKX was and where I just got back from wheeling I will guarantee your D30 will break with a locker, 37's and 4.88's.

Top Bottom