Offset Question

iflyhi22002

Hi all, I know this has been beat to death, but I'm just looking for a quick response.
I'm getting ready to replace the factory 13' Sahara 18" wheels with some new 18x9 XD wheels. I have Toyo OC AT2 tires in the 285/75R18 variety. I'm running 1.5" spacers now, and have a 2.5" lift. I will not be running the spacers with the new wheels, but I will eventually go to 295's I have a feeling.
The local Discount Tire is recommending I go with the +18 offset, and the other option is the -12. Any suggestions or input on this? I like how right now the tire sticks out just past the wheel well, but not too far.
It seems like most people go with the -12...any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

Everything depends on the lift that you wish to run and it's required backspacing. Stock wheel backspacing(the mounting face of the wheel's distance from the wheels inner lip) is 6.25". When you add a 1.5" wheel spacer that reduces the effective backspacing to 4.75".

Now offset is just a different way of looking at backspacing. It is the negative(closer to the inner lip) or positive ( closer to the outter lip) distance of the wheels mounting surface from the dead center of the rim.

A wheel that 9" wide and has a 0 offset will have a 4.5" backspace. Or one with a -1" offset will have a 3.5" backspace.

A wider stance (smaller # of backspace or more negative of offset) will create a more stable and wider stance but that comes with the tradeoff of more stress on your axle balljoints, knuckles, flanges, etc. that could eventually cause premature failure.

Not sure if this helped, or confused you more....but I would look at your lift and go with its recommended minimum backspace and shoot for that(usually 4.5" or 4.75" unless going with coilovers).

Top Bottom