What is this wire?

Devallee

I'm assuming it's a ground wire to something? A couple days ago I made a rookie mistake and was connecting something to the battery without the negative terminal disconnected, and as I was tightening up the positive side, the wrench touched this wire and made a big spark and then I realized it burned through a portion of the wire (as pictured). Ever since, my subs have been fading in and out, my door locks are acting up when I use my key to unlock it, and the jeep has a slight maybe half second lag turning on when you turn the key to start it. This all started happening the day of the incident. So I'm assuming this is a ground wire. My question is...can I drive with the wire like this without messing something up until I can get it fixed? I'm planning on going by the stealership today to get it checked out. And could it have done any permanent damage or are these symptoms just happening because of the lack of ground connection? I'm really afraid I could have shorted something out in the electrical system. Is that possible? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1395859915020.jpg
    1395859915020.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 1395859924725.jpg
    1395859924725.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 204

Devallee

Could this be what's causing those problems? Is it ok to keep driving on it or am I ok til I can get it fixed? Sorry if I sound dumb I'm completely ignorant when it comes to electrical stuff it freaks me out

Jiffy05

I honestly hate anything dealing with electricity(I am afraid of it) but I don't think that would hurt anything having it like that.

pvanweelden

Ground Wire. what else happened when you shorted out the wrench to it? any blown fuses?
it is fine the way it is.

eeftw

No, that strap will not have any effect on your total electrical system. It just grounds the hood with the unibody of the jeep. Seeing as you mention you have a sub/stereo system in the jeep try disconnecting the system and seeing if that has any bearing on the stock electrical systems. You may have a ground issue with your aftermarket system.

However, judging by that arced area of the ground strap you're still getting continuity between hood and unibody so that is not the issue.

Devallee

Ground Wire. what else happened when you shorted out the wrench to it? any blown fuses?
it is fine the way it is.

I haven't checked fuses I'll do that today. And nothing more than what I described so far has happened. If the strap is ok how it is, what's causing these problems?

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm assuming it's a ground wire to something? A couple days ago I made a rookie mistake and was connecting something to the battery without the negative terminal disconnected, and as I was tightening up the positive side, the wrench touched this wire and made a big spark and then I realized it burned through a portion of the wire (as pictured). Ever since, my subs have been fading in and out, my door locks are acting up when I use my key to unlock it, and the jeep has a slight maybe half second lag turning on when you turn the key to start it. This all started happening the day of the incident. So I'm assuming this is a ground wire. My question is...can I drive with the wire like this without messing something up until I can get it fixed? I'm planning on going by the stealership today to get it checked out. And could it have done any permanent damage or are these symptoms just happening because of the lack of ground connection? I'm really afraid I could have shorted something out in the electrical system. Is that possible? Any help would be appreciated.

it's a ground strap and you should make sure it's connected -it'll cause all the things you mentioned along with blown fuses, check the inside fuse block and the TIPM fuse block in the engine compartment.

now the big down side if after you replace the ground strap and you replace any blown fuses, if you still have issues you may have shorted the TIPM, it's an expensive repair unless you can get it replaced under warranty.

Last edited:

Devallee

it's a ground strap and you should make sure it's connected -it'll cause all the things you mentioned along with blown fuses, check the inside fuse block and the TIPM fuse block in the engine compartment. now the big down side if after you replace the ground strap and you replace any blown fuses, if you still have issues you may have shorted the TIPM, it's an expensive repair unless you can get it replaced under warranty.

Is the inside fuse block and the TIPM fuse block in the fuse box? (Again, excuse my ignorance)

Devallee

Just checked all of the fuses and didn't find anything blown. Just found another symptom tho... my doors locked on their own. Anything else I could check? Or should I just take it to the stealership? That scares me....

Devallee

Plot twist... When it locked (by itself with the battery disconnected) it locked my keys inside. This is ridiculous haha

jeeeep

Hooked
trying not to laugh...too hard... but yea, the locking when battery disconnected is actually a security feature.

I'd replace the ground strap since some of it is burned off, you want a clean full ground and surprisingly even with that small amount burned off will make a difference. Also check the ends where they connect, make sure it didn't 'fuse' to the end connection.

What about the extra key?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
As others have said, it is a ground strap. I'd replace it for sure. It may have affected the body control module, causing your door lock issues. I'd try unhooking the battery and hold the negative and positive cable ends together, this is a Chrysler trick that resets all of the computers and modules in the vehicle. Hold them together for 30 seconds or so.

Moochie

Mine is MIA. No noticeable problems. Having the hood grounded is supposed to help with engine noise interference with the radio. I don't listen to the radio so I don't know if it is causing any noise. It could be affecting my CB performance. I need to find a new ground strap and reconnect it.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Was this the first time a system was installed in the jeep? It's possible that the amp is pulling to much power. This could cause them to fade, lights to dim and other lack of power issues. As for the accidental ground I think you're good. You would probably have the same electrical issues if you didn't do it.

Devallee

Well I disconnected the negative battery terminal for a little then reconnected it and the problems have seemed to stop for now. If it comes back I'll just go ahead and replace it. But thank you all for the help!

Devallee

trying not to laugh...too hard... but yea, the locking when battery disconnected is actually a security feature.

I'd replace the ground strap since some of it is burned off, you want a clean full ground and surprisingly even with that small amount burned off will make a difference. Also check the ends where they connect, make sure it didn't 'fuse' to the end connection.

What about the extra key?

My spare key was stolen out of my mom's purse a while back so I only have one. Luckily the driver side window was cracked and they keys were within reach using a wire hanger and a little patience

Top Bottom