California Off Road Fund BS

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just read an article in the L.A. Times about a budget surplus that was intended for off road funding was never used for its intended purpose, essentially hidden and used as a slush fund for other programs. Of course, the people who were in charge claim to know nothing about it. Read all about it here...

The culture clash has pitted conservationists against drivers of dirt bikes and dune buggies, who have tangled over how to spend more than $100 million set aside to buy and manage land for off-road vehicles. That fund is where state accountants found more than half of a $54-million hidden surplus, the revelation that sparked the ongoing scandal...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-state-parks-20120727,0,3856220.story

Gotta love good ol' Kalifornia :rolleyes2:

GCM 2

Seems to be a common theme and not just in your state, sad times indeed. It just sucks this is happening everywhere and at all levels :(

MTG

Caught the Bug
I've worked in Government for a short period, twice (in different states). The inefficiency and ineptitude that exist among some governments and its employees is astounding. But the People's Republic of Kalifornia seems to take the cake.

Thanks for posting.

"WOL for Director in 2012"

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Oh I freakin hate politicians!! No matter what party it all comes down to them sucking crap! It's so time to for most all of them to get fired and for us to get some regular people to work for us! it's a shame what this country is coming to.

Serg5000

And to think they are always claiming they have no money in the off-road fund. If they just left it alone and used it for it's intended use. Closing parks for no reason really sucks. Why not just cancel the other programs that are sucking this money dry.:banghead:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know if any of you saw this but, here's the real kicker - now that everyone knows about this hidden fund that was supposed to be used for off road use, everyone else now wants it to be used to pay and keep all the State Parks open. :rolleyes2:

When cash-pinched state officials announced last year that they couldn't afford to keep 70 California parks open, residents jumped in to help. Neighbors held bake sales, cities dug into their reserves, and nonprofits rallied big donors.

With the recent disclosures of a largely unknown $54-million pile sitting in state parks accounts, that can-do spirit has been replaced by a how-could-they indignation. Several local governments are demanding their money back, saying they were duped at a time when they could least afford it.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-parks-donations-20120802,0,3882789.story?track=rss

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
You would think the money could only be used for the intended purpose of the fund. Hopefully someone is held accountable:rolleyes2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You would think the money could only be used for the intended purpose of the fund. Hopefully someone is held accountable:rolleyes2:

you would think. but, i have a feeling that isn't going to be how it works out. you should see what CA is doing with all the money they've raised selling 9/11 license plates :rolleyes2:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I see this time and time again. Government entities don't have money to fund projects or programs and we all suffer as a result. Then "miraculously" a large fund is "found" and now since they closed or shut down all of the projects and programs due to the aforementioned lack of funding the "miraculously" discovered money can now be reallocated for whatever the hell they want.

Welcome to the US of A! I love this country, but having Uncle Sam have his hands in BOTH my pockets and seeing this stuff happen really frustrates me.

Top Bottom