Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVO Rock Sliders

EVO Rock Sliders

Just ordered my EVO Rock Sliders, cant wait for them to come in! A little skeptical on the welding installation.. But hey I guess theyre that much more tough! Anyone have any tips, dos/donts on installation and bedlining? Thanks! Ill post pics when they arrive!
    Leximann

Knows a Thing or Two
    "skeptical on welding" as in they may not be as strong as bolting them on?

Quote Originally Posted by drew@offroadevolution View Post
    "skeptical on welding" as in they may not be as strong as bolting them on?
    Think he meant he wasn't sure he could do the welds

Quote Originally Posted by seanb123 View Post
    Think he meant he wasn't sure he could do the welds
    Yep thats what I meant. Im sure theyll be durable haha. I have a friend who has some welding experience, so skeptical as in taking it to him or should I just take it to a professional whose installed em before. I have no worries about the capabilities of these things.
    Leximann

-
    I love the EVO sliders and there is no doubt they are VERY strong but the weld on installation kills it for me. Not because I am worried about the welding itself, but because being able to easily remove them for repaint is essential. I clean, paint, and treat everything steel under/on my Jeep regularly but am still losing the war on rust living in OH.... I just wish they would hurry up on the bolt-on ones they were prototyping almost a year ago!

Knows a Thing or Two
    Quote Originally Posted by leximann View Post
    Yep thats what I meant. Im sure theyll be durable haha. I have a friend who has some welding experience, so skeptical as in taking it to him or should I just take it to a professional whose installed em before. I have no worries about the capabilities of these things.
    copy that.... it is pretty easy as long as the installer can weld. just wrap the weld around the 'foot' as much as possible and fill the rosette welds. you want about a "fingers" width distance between the legs of the sliders and pinch seams.... good luck

Been Around the Block Tranquillity's Avatar
    I did mine myself, I'm not master welder at all but felt pretty confident with the welding gun in my hand. It's a shame our weather are so bad rust hit the welding a week later, even with touch up paint.

This summer there is going to be one POR-15 paranoia weekend.

Question for Drew,

I could not weld most of the upper parts of the slider foot. Couldn't reach it. Should I fill it with POR-15 or leave it open so it could kinda "vent" ?

Thanks.
    No colors anymore I want them to turn black

Knows a Thing or Two FrankenJeeper's Avatar
    Out of curiosity, how thick steel is the foot made out of?

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by leximann View Post

After you spent your hard earned money on these the last thing you want is to slam down and have weld(s) fail and jack up your body. If in doubt have a pro do it.

To save time =$ you probly want to have layout and temp support figured ahead of time before taking it in. I would recomend pre mouning and using a few of these K5 self tappers thru rosette holes at hom

ForumRunner_20140330_093334.jpg

e first. Then remove for drive to shop then re mount. If welder is not going to have to worry about clamping this together it should save a bunch.
    These screws are designed gor 1/4+" steel and will go thru frame like butter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast