EVO Rock Sliders

leximann

Just ordered my EVO Rock Sliders, cant wait for them to come in! A little skeptical on the welding installation.. But hey I guess theyre that much more tough! Anyone have any tips, dos/donts on installation and bedlining? Thanks! Ill post pics when they arrive!

leximann

Think he meant he wasn't sure he could do the welds

Yep thats what I meant. Im sure theyll be durable haha. I have a friend who has some welding experience, so skeptical as in taking it to him or should I just take it to a professional whose installed em before. I have no worries about the capabilities of these things.

I love the EVO sliders and there is no doubt they are VERY strong but the weld on installation kills it for me. Not because I am worried about the welding itself, but because being able to easily remove them for repaint is essential. I clean, paint, and treat everything steel under/on my Jeep regularly but am still losing the war on rust living in OH.... I just wish they would hurry up on the bolt-on ones they were prototyping almost a year ago!

ChaosNein

Yep thats what I meant. Im sure theyll be durable haha. I have a friend who has some welding experience, so skeptical as in taking it to him or should I just take it to a professional whose installed em before. I have no worries about the capabilities of these things.

copy that.... it is pretty easy as long as the installer can weld. just wrap the weld around the 'foot' as much as possible and fill the rosette welds. you want about a "fingers" width distance between the legs of the sliders and pinch seams.... good luck

Tranquillity

I did mine myself, I'm not master welder at all but felt pretty confident with the welding gun in my hand. It's a shame our weather are so bad rust hit the welding a week later, even with touch up paint.

IMG_3287_zps0a0ed2b1.jpg

This summer there is going to be one POR-15 paranoia weekend.

Question for Drew,

I could not weld most of the upper parts of the slider foot. Couldn't reach it. Should I fill it with POR-15 or leave it open so it could kinda "vent" ?

Thanks.

Rebel JK

After you spent your hard earned money on these the last thing you want is to slam down and have weld(s) fail and jack up your body. If in doubt have a pro do it.

Rebel JK

To save time =$ you probly want to have layout and temp support figured ahead of time before taking it in. I would recomend pre mouning and using a few of these K5 self tappers thru rosette holes at hom

ForumRunner_20140330_093334.jpg

e first. Then remove for drive to shop then re mount. If welder is not going to have to worry about clamping this together it should save a bunch.
These screws are designed gor 1/4+" steel and will go thru frame like butter

leximann

Since the finish is raw steel, I plan on spraying with Bedliner. What should I prime with & what's the best bedline product?

leximann

To save time =$ you probly want to have layout and temp support figured ahead of time before taking it in. I would recomend pre mouning and using a few of these K5 self tappers thru rosette holes at hom

View attachment 76388

e first. Then remove for drive to shop then re mount. If welder is not going to have to worry about clamping this together it should save a bunch.
These screws are designed gor 1/4+" steel and will go thru frame like butter

Where could I find the tappers lol I've been to ace hardware and Home Depot, no luck

Where could I find the tappers lol I've been to ace hardware and Home Depot, no luck

Try looking at home depot back in the metal roofing area. That is where they can be found. I have about 200 of them in the garage from doing my roof.

R/
Will

BBrown626

Several coats of self-etching primer. and rustoleum bedliner spray has worked best for me.

Finish like he said ^^

I don't see why you would use sheet metal screws. You will then have to blindly weld in the holes you made in the frame. Use a couple C-clamps and jack stands to hold them in place. Tack weld and then let the sparks fly after your sure they are where you want them.

Even if your not the best welder your likely securing them better than something like those flexible rails that bolt to the body mounts.

The EVO rails are great! I just took mine through the Rubicon this week. My brother in-law went with me and he has Ace. We are on 35's so we bounced our way through and a few times we had to pivot off the rocks with our rails. Both made it through without damage, but the Ace rails visibly flexed quite a bit and made me a bit nervous.

Top Bottom