Spray Painting Exhaust Pipe

leximann

Ive seen some people posting that they used high heat black spray paint on their exhaust to match the underside of their Jeep. Ive heard of Rustoleum having a good product but are any others better? If someone has done this, was your Jeep lifted off the ground?

Chattinfarms

Any high heat paint will do good. I used spray paint for headers and works great. They will all fade a bit and will need to be touched up occasionally. Just make sure it will take heat cause otherwise the paint can catch fire (trust me)

Sent from the business end of my jeep

UNLIMITED_FUN

Rustoleum High Temp Grill Paint or just the enamel +1

Been through a couple of cans these, buy it!

When I want to paint nuts and bolts etc, I'll spray with this and put in the oven on 300 for a while, then to the freezer. Makes the paint rock hard.

Hack12

Here are a few better photos I just took of my buddy's stock exhaust. They show the 2 hangers you'll have to remove and the clamp you'll have to loosen to separate the pipes. The clamp can be removed with your average socket set.

Clamp:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396896095.598747.jpg

Driver's side hanger:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396896115.300830.jpg

Passenger's side hanger:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396896125.421068.jpg

Once you've done all that you'll need a flat head screwdriver and a hammer or mallet to separate the two pipes.

leximann

Here are a few better photos I just took of my buddy's stock exhaust. They show the 2 hangers you'll have to remove and the clamp you'll have to loosen to separate the pipes. The clamp can be removed with your average socket set.

Clamp:
View attachment 77674

Driver's side hanger:
View attachment 77675

Passenger's side hanger:
View attachment 77676

Once you've done all that you'll need a flat head screwdriver and a hammer or mallet to separate the two pipes.

Gotcha. Are he hangers just bolted on as well?

904Jeep

Do they just slide through or slide off?

You will want to slide the metal hanger welded to the exhaust through the rubber potion. As already mentioned it is a true PITA to remove the muffler from the rubber pieces. You can use WD-40, PB blaster, or white lithium grease to lubricate the hanger. If you have a set of vice grips you can use those to squeeze the metal hanger through the rubber portion.

Hack12

You will want to slide the metal hanger welded to the exhaust through the rubber potion. As already mentioned it is a true PITA to remove the muffler from the rubber pieces. You can use WD-40, PB blaster, or white lithium grease to lubricate the hanger. If you have a set of vice grips you can use those to squeeze the metal hanger through the rubber portion.

Yeah, it sucks, to say the least.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ive seen some people posting that they used high heat black spray paint on their exhaust to match the underside of their Jeep. Ive heard of Rustoleum having a good product but are any others better? If someone has done this, was your Jeep lifted off the ground?

I used a VHT engine enamel to coat my OEM exhaust. Went on nicely and seems to be holding up pretty well. Like everyone said, any high temp paint (including BBQ paint) will do just fine. Caliper paint is often more expensive, so you may not want to use that.

Top Bottom