Anybody use back-up camera

Tranquillity

So yesterday I got a deal on a LCD radio. The guy gave me a back up camera as well. I was wondering if it would come in handy? I don't plan using it for parking of course, I thought it could be useful to spot the rear DS or something like that.

Anybody here use a camera system when wheeling and what's your impression about it ?

Thanks.

beans

So yesterday I got a deal on a LCD radio. The guy gave me a back up camera as well. I was wondering if it would come in handy? I don't plan using it for parking of course, I thought it could be useful to spot the rear DS or something like that.

Anybody here use a camera system when wheeling and what's your impression about it ?

Thanks.

We don't have one yet but we plan on setting one up with the go-pro system. Here's why. With tablets you can hook up multiple camera's at multiple angles and film together. With Adobe, you can then organize your shots and pic the best ones for editing. You can slap one on the roof, one on the back, and one on the side with jaws. When stopping for harder rock climbs you can have your other two cameras working, while you take the one off the side and set it up on a tripod. For multiple arial shots you can mount another camera to DJI. Is it expensive? Yes. Does it require alot of extra do-hickies like tablets, otter boxes and grips, a full adobe software system, a good phone, multiple batteries, and access to internet hot spots to dump your footage? Yes. But if you really love making videos or getting awesome shutter shots its definitely a great way to go. :) :)

Important Side note: My husband does the driving 98% of the time. I would find a dedicated partner to take care of this kind of stuff if you want to go this way because your eyes are never on the road and it always takes too hands.

JKFlyer

I use it and have images coming out of my trail dash. It does come in helpful when parking BC I can't see out my back window at all with the 37 there. I really like it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tranquillity

Thanks for the replies, I don't plan using it for video editing. I don't think there would be a good video quality from it but I think I got my answer anyway. Can't really watch the camera and where I'm going at the same time lol... That was pretty obvious :doh:

liljohn850

I have a back up camera wired up to head unit and my back up lights so that it's triggered automatically when I'm in reverse. I used a flush mount camera and put a rather large hole in my drop hitch blank to put the camera in snuggly. i think it looks clean. and its very useful when we can't see out the back of our jeeps.

pastorwug

I use it every time I back up, the camera comes on automagically.
Play it through my 730N in the dash.

Love it!

Angry Aussie

I have one and love it. I can't see out of my back window with my 37s. Comes in handy at night as well parking. I've been happy with mine

Mdrnizd

What camera are you guys using and where are you mounting it? Also, what do I need to do so the head unit recognizes it?

Pushrod

I use the Lockpick from Coastal Electronics which among other things allows 3 camera inputs and displayed on the Jeep Navi radio. I have one camera mounted in the spare tire and another on the front bumper. The rear camera comes on when reverse is selected and I only use the front cam when offroad. When I'm using the front camera I can select it for auto on and it is activated when drive is selected until 10 mph is reached and it turns off or it can be selected to stay on while the vehicle is running. The rear camera is great for backing up as the view out the back is mostly blocked by the spare tire (35"). This camera was approximately $25 ordered from walmart online, not great quality pic but good enough to see what is behind the vehicle. The front is a better quality cam with 700 plus lines of video and great video quality found at Fry Electronics, designed for home security. This camera is useful off road for the times when all you can see is sky and hood through the windshield. I have it set up so it displays the space between the front bumper and where the view is lost below the hood on flat ground. I do not have a need to record so there is no provision.

pastorwug

I use the Lockpick from Coastal Electronics which among other things allows 3 camera inputs and displayed on the Jeep Navi radio. I have one camera mounted in the spare tire and another on the front bumper. The rear camera comes on when reverse is selected and I only use the front cam when offroad. When I'm using the front camera I can select it for auto on and it is activated when drive is selected until 10 mph is reached and it turns off or it can be selected to stay on while the vehicle is running. The rear camera is great for backing up as the view out the back is mostly blocked by the spare tire (35"). This camera was approximately $25 ordered from walmart online, not great quality pic but good enough to see what is behind the vehicle. The front is a better quality cam with 700 plus lines of video and great video quality found at Fry Electronics, designed for home security. This camera is useful off road for the times when all you can see is sky and hood through the windshield. I have it set up so it displays the space between the front bumper and where the view is lost below the hood on flat ground. I do not have a need to record so there is no provision.

Right on, that's mostly what I've done.
Love the Lockpick!

Flyer

Would like to install a backup camera and a front camera for those steep uphills where you cannot see the ground in front. Would a Lockpick handle both those and display through the 430 display? Probably have to get some help in wiring it all in but worth the trouble. I can't see much behind me when backing up and am always worried about some small kid or dog running back there in a grocery store or other parking lot.

Pushrod

Would like to install a backup camera and a front camera for those steep uphills where you cannot see the ground in front. Would a Lockpick handle both those and display through the 430 display? Probably have to get some help in wiring it all in but worth the trouble. I can't see much behind me when backing up and am always worried about some small kid or dog running back there in a grocery store or other parking lot.

The Lockpic is plug and play but I can't comment on your radio type. Your questions can be answered on their website.

pastorwug

IMG_0633.jpg

Here is where I have mounted my back-up camera - great panorama view with infa-red as well.
$89 on Ebay.

ghostryder

i just back up till i hear the crunch then i go a little farther and its usually good....... unless its another jeep and then i stop when i hit metal lol :rock:

Flyer

I like that camera above that pastorwug has. I think I could figure out how to attach it to my AEV rear bumper. I am not sure if I will do the Lockpick or simply configure the factory 430 to accept a backup camera.

Top Bottom