Rubicon/sahara/sport

hickey800

whats everyones opinions on which one to buy i am going go with the unlimited i was set on getting the rubicon because of the danna 44 in front and 4:10 gears but i wanna run 37" tires but from reading it dont seem the dana 44 will hold the 37s and seems like it be better to go cheaper on the jeep and ride stock longer than i wanted and buy a pr 44s front and back which ill have a while to save up for, any thoughts or choices will be appreciated thanks.
-keep in mind to i live in newfoundland so it ant as easy to get the pr44s here and will cost alot to get them thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've bought a 2007 Rubicon, a 2007 Sahara, a 2009 X (Sport) and then finally a 2012 Rubicon. I have built all of them up and there is a reason why I got a Rubicon again for 2012 - if you can afford it, it really is the better way to go. While the front axle and lockers aren't the greatest, they will work for a while or, you can sell the front for a decent penny. Also, you still get the e-disco which I love and a 4:1 transfer case which works great.

StrizzyChris

There's plenty of people who run factory D44's and 37's. You'll want to regear to get the "like factory spunk" back and I wouldn't go higher than 5.13 to keep as much of the R&P strength as possible. BUT if you wheel hard enough, it's very likely to bend the axle over time.

If it were me, I'd wait til the 2015's come out and get a bargain on the 2014 rubi just because I am in love with my stock swaybar disco and rubi transfer case. The D44 and lockers are great too :yup:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
If I did it all over again, I would go with a Rubicon. I bought a Sport S and had the idea that I can beef it up slowly over time, but now I realize that a a stock a Rubicon would do everything I need it to do and then some. Now I'm losing patience trying to make my Sport as tough as a stock Rubicon.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Agreed with what was said above. If I knew anything about jeeps back when I got mine I would have gotten a rubi. My sport is great but it just doesn't have the cool features a rubi has. I had to go out a buy a used rubi sway bar (still need to install), I want a rubi transfer case, and I would have liked a D44 up front even if it isn't a true D44.

Sent from my iPhone

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I have 2 Rubicons. My first jeep was a sport. I really like the Rubicon for the fully loaded features. Then some days I think a sport is the way to go if you are really going to upgrade everything.
If I could start over and had the money, I'd get a jku sport with factory half doors. Pr 44 up front. The sport rear axle is better than a Rubicon if you want a arb locker. Atlas transfer case. And look for a broken Rubicon e disco sway bar and put a evo no limits disconnect on it.

hickey800

i wont be getting it tell mid-end of june and i was talking to the dealer and he said if they still have the one im looking at he will give me sweet deal on a trade in with my truck, so how much would it cost me to get the pr44 front and back roughly, the shitty part is i have to get them shipped to newfoundland and than installed, if i did keep the stock 44s and threw 5:13 gears in them how long you say ill get out them i dont tend to wheel to hard nothing like i see in wayalife videos but sometimes i tend to get little cocky and go for it if you know what i mean (its a guy thing) also how much do they usually cost to get installed or if they are completly put together when you get it can they be installed in a basic garage??

hickey800

I have 2 Rubicons. My first jeep was a sport. I really like the Rubicon for the fully loaded features. Then some days I think a sport is the way to go if you are really going to upgrade everything.
If I could start over and had the money, I'd get a jku sport with factory half doors. Pr 44 up front. The sport rear axle is better than a Rubicon if you want a arb locker. Atlas transfer case. And look for a broken Rubicon e disco sway bar and put a evo no limits disconnect on it.

thats the thing i dont really ever see myself going completely upgrading everything cus it will always be my daily driver so ill never run more than a 37" tire

StrizzyChris

, so how much would it cost me to get the pr44 front and back roughly,

There's not a rear PR44, you would just keep your stock sport D44(what I would do) and add an ARB locker and 35 spline chromoly axle shafts....or get a Dynatrac trail 60 rear axle.

keep the stock 44s and threw 5:13 gears in them how long you say ill get out them i dont tend to wheel to hard nothing like i see in wayalife videos but sometimes i tend to get little cocky and go for it if you know what i mean (its a guy thing) also how much do they usually cost to get installed or if they are completly put together when you get it can they be installed in a basic garage??

Well if you don't beat the shit out of it, and only wheel mild to moderate trails, a stock D44 could last as long as you own the Jeep. Give it hell(and drive like an idiot IMHO) and the 37's could go out on your first trip or within the first year. It's all dependent on your terrain and driving style

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's not a rear PR44, you would just keep your stock sport D44(what I would do) and add an ARB locker and 35 spline chromoly axle shafts....or get a Dynatrac trail 60 rear axle.

What he said ^^^

Well if you don't beat the shit out of it, and only wheel mild to moderate trails, a stock D44 could last as long as you own the Jeep. Give it hell(and drive like an idiot IMHO) and the 37's could go out on your first trip or within the first year. It's all dependent on your terrain and driving style

Agreed. I beat the crap out of my 2012's D44 running 37's and still got about 60,000 miles out of it before it was so bent that it had to be replaced.

hickey800

if i ran 35" tires they would be fine tho right ?? and i dont no if i can afford the pr44 or dynatrac 60 to be honest cus by time i buy the jeep/lift/tires/rims/gears im gonna be without a left or right arm(not to say me misses will kill me) but is there a way to make my 44s a little more solid i plan to get c gussets will that help much

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Still depends on how hard and fast you drive over rough terrain but yeah, you can make a Rubicon 44 last a lot longer with 35's.

hickey800

Agreed. I beat the crap out of my 2012's D44 running 37's and still got about 60,000 miles out of it before it was so bent that it had to be replaced.

wow 60,000 miles on a jeep would last me about 4 years i dont have travel to far where i live, i have my truck 2-3 years not and only got 40,000 km on it so if i ran 37s, 5:13 gears and never offroad to hard i could last good while, i also do little bit mud riding so the tires will be spinning a bit going few little donuts will this cause them to bend quicker ??

2trackin

I wheel a great deal with my factory Rubi axles on 37s. But I am smart about it. Here in Michigan we don't have any of the crazy terrain out west. Just ask yourself what kind of wheeling you'll be doing. I think you can make a front 44 last quite a while on 37s being smart about it though. Just my 2 pennies.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

2trackin

wayoflife said:

wow 60,000 miles on a jeep would last me about 4 years i dont have travel to far where i live, i have my truck 2-3 years not and only got 40,000 km on it so if i ran 37s, 5:13 gears and never offroad to hard i could last good while, i also do little bit mud riding so the tires will be spinning a bit going few little donuts will this cause them to bend quicker ??

You should be fine in mud. The real damage is going to come from higher speed rough terrain. It really puts a lot of stress on the axles. Just be careful about getting to much wheel hop going on as well.

hickey800

You should be fine in mud. The real damage is going to come from higher speed rough terrain. It really puts a lot of stress on the axles. Just be careful about getting to much wheel hop going on as well.

This might be a stupid question but could you explain wheel hop I feel like it's a basic thing and I'll understand if I just never heard "wheel hop" before

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Truth be told, it's not the rock crawling that'll jack up your axle - it's the speed. Out in the west, we have hundreds of miles of wide open desert to bomb through and when you're running coil overs, it's hard not to go fast. Still, time will most likely catch up to you - it'll just take a lot longer. :yup:

2trackin

This might be a stupid question but could you explain wheel hop I feel like it's a basic thing and I'll understand if I just never heard "wheel hop" before

This happens when your tire(s) are spinning and then start to get traction, then lose traction, and catch traction and the vicious cycle starts to make the wheel "hop". This with big heavy tires has the potential to cause some serious damage in the axle and drivetrain. Believe me, any smart guy will feel the wheel hop and let off the gas.

hickey800

Oh ok ya I know what your talking about n it kinda feels like your getting a little jumping or j hop kinda feel to vehicle

hickey800

Truth be told, it's not the rock crawling that'll jack up your axle - it's the speed. Out in the west, we have hundreds of miles of wide open desert to bomb through and when you're running coil overs, it's hard not to go fast. Still, time will most likely catch up to you - it'll just take a lot longer. :yup:

Thanks man I might just run the 35s to be safe I don't want risk it than break the Dana 44 and not be able to afford a replacement

Top Bottom