Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubicon/sahara/sport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Caught the Bug

Rubicon/sahara/sport

whats everyones opinions on which one to buy i am going go with the unlimited i was set on getting the rubicon because of the danna 44 in front and 4:10 gears but i wanna run 37" tires but from reading it dont seem the dana 44 will hold the 37s and seems like it be better to go cheaper on the jeep and ride stock longer than i wanted and buy a pr 44s front and back which ill have a while to save up for, any thoughts or choices will be appreciated thanks.
    -keep in mind to i live in newfoundland so it ant as easy to get the pr44s here and will cost alot to get them thanks.

I've bought a 2007 Rubicon, a 2007 Sahara, a 2009 X (Sport) and then finally a 2012 Rubicon. I have built all of them up and there is a reason why I got a Rubicon again for 2012 - if you can afford it, it really is the better way to go. While the front axle and lockers aren't the greatest, they will work for a while or, you can sell the front for a decent penny. Also, you still get the e-disco which I love and a 4:1 transfer case which works great.

There's plenty of people who run factory D44's and 37's. You'll want to regear to get the "like factory spunk" back and I wouldn't go higher than 5.13 to keep as much of the R&P strength as possible. BUT if you wheel hard enough, it's very likely to bend the axle over time.

If it were me, I'd wait til the 2015's come out and get a bargain on the 2014 rubi just because I am in love with my stock swaybar disco and rubi transfer case. The D44 and lockers are great too
    2013 Dune JKU Rubicon <-- Build Thread

37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" ATX Slabs, EVO BO Coilovers Front and Rear, GenRight Rear Tire Carrier, RK Front lower Control Arms, Adams 1310 Front DS, LOD Sliders, DynoMax Comp Exhaust, EVO ProTek Skids, Fender Trim, EVO 1/4 Pounder and stinger, Warn 9.5ti, EVO C-Gussets, AEV Procal, Trektop NX

***Buy Jeep parts Made in the U.S.A.!!!***

Caught the Bug
    i wont be getting it tell mid-end of june and i was talking to the dealer and he said if they still have the one im looking at he will give me sweet deal on a trade in with my truck, so how much would it cost me to get the pr44 front and back roughly, the shitty part is i have to get them shipped to newfoundland and than installed, if i did keep the stock 44s and threw 5:13 gears in them how long you say ill get out them i dont tend to wheel to hard nothing like i see in wayalife videos but sometimes i tend to get little cocky and go for it if you know what i mean (its a guy thing) also how much do they usually cost to get installed or if they are completly put together when you get it can they be installed in a basic garage??

Quote Originally Posted by hickey800 View Post
    , so how much would it cost me to get the pr44 front and back roughly,
    There's not a rear PR44, you would just keep your stock sport D44(what I would do) and add an ARB locker and 35 spline chromoly axle shafts....or get a Dynatrac trail 60 rear axle.

Quote Originally Posted by hickey800 View Post
    keep the stock 44s and threw 5:13 gears in them how long you say ill get out them i dont tend to wheel to hard nothing like i see in wayalife videos but sometimes i tend to get little cocky and go for it if you know what i mean (its a guy thing) also how much do they usually cost to get installed or if they are completly put together when you get it can they be installed in a basic garage??
    Well if you don't beat the shit out of it, and only wheel mild to moderate trails, a stock D44 could last as long as you own the Jeep. Give it hell(and drive like an idiot IMHO) and the 37's could go out on your first trip or within the first year. It's all dependent on your terrain and driving style
    2013 Dune JKU Rubicon <-- Build Thread

37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" ATX Slabs, EVO BO Coilovers Front and Rear, GenRight Rear Tire Carrier, RK Front lower Control Arms, Adams 1310 Front DS, LOD Sliders, DynoMax Comp Exhaust, EVO ProTek Skids, Fender Trim, EVO 1/4 Pounder and stinger, Warn 9.5ti, EVO C-Gussets, AEV Procal, Trektop NX

***Buy Jeep parts Made in the U.S.A.!!!***

Quote Originally Posted by StrizzyChris View Post
    There's not a rear PR44, you would just keep your stock sport D44(what I would do) and add an ARB locker and 35 spline chromoly axle shafts....or get a Dynatrac trail 60 rear axle.
    What he said ^^^

Well if you don't beat the shit out of it, and only wheel mild to moderate trails, a stock D44 could last as long as you own the Jeep. Give it hell(and drive like an idiot IMHO) and the 37's could go out on your first trip or within the first year. It's all dependent on your terrain and driving style
    Agreed. I beat the crap out of my 2012's D44 running 37's and still got about 60,000 miles out of it before it was so bent that it had to be replaced.

Caught the Bug
    Agreed. I beat the crap out of my 2012's D44 running 37's and still got about 60,000 miles out of it before it was so bent that it had to be replaced.
    wow 60,000 miles on a jeep would last me about 4 years i dont have travel to far where i live, i have my truck 2-3 years not and only got 40,000 km on it so if i ran 37s, 5:13 gears and never offroad to hard i could last good while, i also do little bit mud riding so the tires will be spinning a bit going few little donuts will this cause them to bend quicker ??

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by StrizzyChris View Post

if i ran 35" tires they would be fine tho right ?? and i dont no if i can afford the pr44 or dynatrac 60 to be honest cus by time i buy the jeep/lift/tires/rims/gears im gonna be without a left or right arm(not to say me misses will kill me) but is there a way to make my 44s a little more solid i plan to get c gussets will that help much

Still depends on how hard and fast you drive over rough terrain but yeah, you can make a Rubicon 44 last a lot longer with 35's.

If I did it all over again, I would go with a Rubicon. I bought a Sport S and had the idea that I can beef it up slowly over time, but now I realize that a a stock a Rubicon would do everything I need it to do and then some. Now I'm losing patience trying to make my Sport as tough as a stock Rubicon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast