DynoMax 2012-Up JK Evolution Competition Exhaust System Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
main.php

If you're looking for an awesome new exhaust system for your 2012-up Jeep JK Wrangler, you really need to look no further than DynoMax. Their new Evolution Competition Exhaust System requires no welding, provides better clearance, is very affordable and most important of all - sounds great! And, as you can see in this write-up below, the whole thing is super easy to install and can be done in about an hour using basic tools.

What you'll need:
Dynomax Evolution Competition Exhaust System
• 15,16mm (or 5/8") Sockets & Wrenches
• Ratchet
• WD40 or similar lubricant
• Large Prybar
• Grinder with Cutting Wheel (optional)

Here's a shot of the DynoMax 2012-Up JK Evolution Competition Exhaust System and all the parts you'll get with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-39516...&sr=8-1&keywords=dynomax+exhaust+jk+evolution
main.php

1. Using a 15mm wrench, loosen the clamp bolt securing the factory exhaust pipe to the muffer as shown...
main.php

2. Using a 15mm wrench, loosen the clamp bolt securing the factory exhaust pipe to the Y-Pipe as shown...
main.php

3. Spray some WD40 or similar lubricant on all 4 rubber exhaust hanger isolators. There are 2 in the rear on either side of your muffler...
main.php

main.php

There's one along the frame rail just forward of the muffler...
main.php

And, there's one between the resonator and Y-pipe as shown...
main.php

4. Use a large pry bar to separate the muffler from the rubber exhaust hanger isolators...
main.php

main.php

5. Pull on and work the muffler back and forth until it separates from the exhaust pipe. Remove and discard the factory muffler...
main.php

6. With the muffler removed, use a large pry bar to separate the exhaust pipe from the remaining 2 frame rail exhaust hanger isolators...
main.php

main.php

7. Pull and work the exhaust pipe and resonator back and forth until it separates from the Y-pipe. Remove and discard the factory exhaust system..
main.php

8. Using a 16mm socket, loosen the 2 bolts securing the forward edge of your EVAP skid plate to the cross member as shown...
main.php

9. This may not be the case anymore but, I got an early kit and, while the exhaust hanger bracket that's provided with the kit would work as is, I wanted mine to sit flush and to do that, a little clearancing was needed. If you too got an early kit and wish to do the same, you can start by removing the bolt closest to the driver side frame rail. With that removed, use a grinder to cut the skid plate lip and level it out...
main.php

This is what it should look like when all is said and done...
main.php

10. Take one of the stepped clamps provided and slip the narrower end onto the end of the factory Y-pipe as shown...
main.php

11. Install the DynoMax intermediate pipe onto the end of the factory Y-pipe making sure that the welded exhaust hanger is pointing toward the frame rail...
main.php

12. Push the new intermediate pipe all the way on and then connect the exhaust hanger onto the factory isolator...
main.php

13. Using a 16mm or 5/8" socket, secure the clamp in place...
main.php

14. Remove the remaining EVAP skid plate bolt, place the new exhaust hanger provided with the kit on top of it making sure that the pin is pointing toward the driver side frame rail and then, loosly secure everything back in place using the 2 factory bolts...
main.php

15. Slip the remaining stepped clamp onto the intermediate pipe and then install your new DynoMax exhaust onto it as shown...
main.php

16. Slip the remaining smaller clamp on the end of the exhaust and then, install the exhaust tip onto it so that the opening is pointing downward...
main.php

17. Install one of the factory exhaust hanger isolators that you removed earlier onto the pin of the new cross member hanger provided and onto the exhaust tip as well as shown...
main.php

18. Using a 16mm socket, tighten down the 2 evap canister skid plate bolts...
main.php

19. Using a 16mm or 5/8" socket, secure the exahust tip clamp in place...
main.php

20. Peel off the clear plastic protector from the exhaust and you're done...
main.php

Start up your engine and enjoy the sound and performance of your new DynoMax JK Evolution Competition Exhaust System. :cool:

DynoMax 2012-Up JK Evolution Competition Exhaust System Sound Clips

MTG

Caught the Bug
Very cool! :thumb:

Couple of questions:

1) how much space between the evap skid and the exhaust? Will there be enough room if you have moved your evap skid over 2" to avoid the factory rear DS.
2) should you have a CAI if you run this?
3) how's it sound?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool! :thumb:

Couple of questions:

1) how much space between the evap skid and the exhaust? Will there be enough room if you have moved your evap skid over 2" to avoid the factory rear DS.
2) should you have a CAI if you run this?
3) how's it sound?

1. plenty of space. the exhaust sits in the same place as the resonator and, while it is a bit bigger, it's not so much that it should be a problem. i will try to take better pics of this area.
2. nah, in reality, unless you run both a CAI and headers, the performance gains from an exhaust like this is nominal at best.
3. sounds awesome and hoping to get a sound clip of it today :yup:

Something I said?

:thinking::idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think MTG was expressing a "passive aggressive" style in order to receive a suitable response in a timely fashion ;)

Gotta love that Dynomax look and sound! Nice little upgrade to the 'Cat. :thumb:

:cheesy: guess i'm a little slow this morning.

sorry mtg - forgot to subscribe to this thread and i simply missed your post. :D

MTG

Caught the Bug
1. plenty of space. the exhaust sits in the same place as the resonator and, while it is a bit bigger, it's not so much that it should be a problem. i will try to take better pics of this area.
2. nah, in reality, unless you run both a CAI and headers, the performance gains from an exhaust like this is nominal at best.
3. sounds awesome and hoping to get a sound clip of it today :yup:

Perfect! Thanks!

:thinking::idontknow:

I think MTG was expressing a "passive aggressive" style in order to receive a suitable response in a timely fashion ;)

Hahaha! :cheesy:

No really I thought 1) I had asked a dumb question or 2) was a ninja thread killer. Either way I thought it was something I said. :) Well, maybe just a hint of sarcasm in there. :idontknow:

So this is why I was asking....

The ARB compressor I have took a while to fill 4 35s, not awful but I can only imagine that the 37s are going to take that much longer. So I was thinking a tank would be nice to add at some point. I'm wondering if there would be a way to mount a tank in the spot where the stock muffler is located and use the ARB to keep it filled up. :thinking:

Plus I really don't like the raspy "ricer" sound of the stock '12s upon acceleration.

nacho

The 12's sound like a sports car with exhaust. I have the magnaflow comp exhaust on mine, looks about the same as the dynomax kit. Very quiet unless you are on the throttle in the upper RPM range

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The ARB compressor I have took a while to fill 4 35s, not awful but I can only imagine that the 37s are going to take that much longer. So I was thinking a tank would be nice to add at some point. I'm wondering if there would be a way to mount a tank in the spot where the stock muffler is located and use the ARB to keep it filled up. :thinking:

Plus I really don't like the raspy "ricer" sound of the stock '12s upon acceleration.

yeah, if not for the fact that i have dreams of an evo leaver in the back of rubicat someday, i've eyed that exact same area for a tank as well. i'm sure it could be done without too much fuss too.

there is no ricer sound about this new exhaust.

The 12's sound like a sports car with exhaust. I have the magnaflow comp exhaust on mine, looks about the same as the dynomax kit. Very quiet unless you are on the throttle in the upper RPM range

agreed, sports car like. we just took a bunch of sound clips yesterday and hope to post something up today.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay folks, just added a sound clip to my original post but, you can see it here as well...

:cool:

MTG

Caught the Bug
That sounds good! :thumb:

Oh and you better regear if you're running 37s. You can hardly even get that thing moving. :crazyeyes:

DMFNJ24601

Sounds great and I can't wait to get one.

Just a noobish question, being new to the Jeep world and all....on the Dynomax site it says for Offroad Use Only. Does this effect emissions and passing smog tests? Is there any legality to running this on a daily driver & weekend toy? I assume that since you're in Kalifornia and have it, it should be good elsewhere. Was just kind of curious on this.

GCM 2

Sounds great and I can't wait to get one.

Just a noobish question, being new to the Jeep world and all....on the Dynomax site it says for Offroad Use Only. Does this effect emissions and passing smog tests? Is there any legality to running this on a daily driver & weekend toy? I assume that since you're in Kalifornia and have it, it should be good elsewhere. Was just kind of curious on this.

Because this system is considered a "cat back" exhaust, meaning the catalytic converters were retained and only the muffler was changed, there will be no difference in emissions output over the factory system. The reason it's labeled Offroad use only, is the increased decibal output in noise over a factory system. But since the 3.8L and 3.6L engines are relatively small displacement V6's, you have nothing to worry about, they are just not that loud. I run the version of this exhaust for the older 3.8L and really it's how it should have sounded from the factory. It's throaty, but not even close to being obnoxious.

DMFNJ24601

Because this system is considered a "cat back" exhaust, meaning the catalytic converters were retained and only the muffler was changed, there will be no difference in emissions output over the factory system. The reason it's labeled Offroad use only, is the increased decibal output in noise over a factory system. But since the 3.8L and 3.6L engines are relatively small displacement V6's, you have nothing to worry about, they are just not that loud. I run the version of this exhaust for the older 3.8L and really it's how it should have sounded from the factory. It's throaty, but not even close to being obnoxious.

Awesome, thanks for the info. After my cool air intake, this is the next item on my list to install.

What was the price tag on this BTW?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

wow, couldn't have said it better myself :thumb:

Awesome, thanks for the info. After my cool air intake, this is the next item on my list to install.

What was the price tag on this BTW?

list is over $350 but, if you look around, you can find it for about $250

Top Bottom