Front axle housing?

Not sure if it is the same but it looks similar to the front axle under the red jk showing off the evo high clearance arms on off road evolutions website

HLKSMSH

My friend has one and let me tell you its more work to make it fit than you want to get into. A lot of cutting and extending the housing on it is so large you will have to do some custom work to get it in there. pretty much you will have to push out the front and with that being done you have to extend everything that connects to the axle.

13WhiteRubi

I don't have any experience with these. Doesn't look like a bad option if you're looking to go with a third member.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I don't have any experience with these axles. RidgeRunner has a pair of Currie Rock Jocks he is waiting to slap on. And although they aren't this specific model, he will at least be able to give you some feedback regarding Currie axles soon enough.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Randy (the guy with the silver JKU that has done all the JKX's) had currie axles and kept breaking them. After the first time I'm pretty sure they told him he was too hard on his jeep and that they wouldn't warranty them anymore. There is a reason why he runs dynatrac's now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Randy (the guy with the silver JKU that has done all the JKX's) had currie axles and kept breaking them. After the first time I'm pretty sure they told him he was too hard on his jeep and that they wouldn't warranty them anymore. There is a reason why he runs dynatrac's now.

This ^^^

Not too many people I know who can afford to drop some serious coin on a set of 60's only to replace them with another set just a few years later. But then, when you play as hard as Randy, you really need a set of axles that won't let you down and backed by a company that will stand behind their product. This is why he now runs Dynatrac axles and why I do too.

suicideking

What are the weak points on the Currie axles (where did they break)? I'm assuming it's not something that could be reinforced to avoid breaking?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What are the weak points on the Currie axles (where did they break)? I'm assuming it's not something that could be reinforced to avoid breaking?

Most of the breaks I have seen were on the rear axle - mainly broken shafts, one of which happened on JKX 2011. After his 2nd break, Currie wouldn't warranty them anymore and said he was playing too hard. Not exactly something I'd want to hear after dropping so much coin for something that was supposed to be a lot stronger. I'm not sure the exact amount but, he's also broken multiple ring and pinions.

I don't have any experience with these axles. RidgeRunner has a pair of Currie Rock Jocks he is waiting to slap on. And although they aren't this specific model, he will at least be able to give you some feedback regarding Currie axles soon enough.

Unlike the one originally mentioned, my RockJocks were built and marketed as a direct bolt in for the JK. Here are pics of both front and rear: ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396813617.886175.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396813829.569886.jpg As you can see, the mounts are already in place, nothing left to weld on. However, the cones extend roughly an or so more than a stock housing which means it will likely require different drive shafts. I have a set of JE Reel 1350's on order and will be doing the entire install next week.
As Eddie just mentioned, Dynatracs are great axles and from an installation prospective I would recommend them over Curries. Only reasons why I chose to do the RockJocks is simply because I like how they look, I got a good deal on mine, and I don't wheel nearly as hard as Wayalife and OverlanderJK.

Last edited:

noroad

Thanks guys was just looking at this as an idea a friend told me about! Still sounds like in going with a pr44

Mikes Offroad

If I recall Randy's were a semi float, Currie now has a full float which should remove some of the issues related to the Rock Jok.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I recall Randy's were a semi float, Currie now has a full float which should remove some of the issues related to the Rock Jok.

"Were" as in, past tense. In an effort to mitigate the breaks he was seeing, he upgraded them to the full float. Didn't make a difference and Currie still wouldn't help him out. Again, there is a reason he is now running Dynatrac ProRocks and if you talk to him, he'll tell you why.

Mikes Offroad

Sorry I was not aware that he had already upgraded to the full float rear axle and was still having issues. I just wish could afford a set of Dynatracs. A friend of mine just got a set, 60 front and 80 rear just under 20 grand delivered to Yellowknife.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sorry I was not aware that he had already upgraded to the full float rear axle and was still having issues. I just wish could afford a set of Dynatracs. A friend of mine just got a set, 60 front and 80 rear just under 20 grand delivered to Yellowknife.

That's pretty cheap actually especially if they are built with everything. A cheaper set in the states will run $17k easy.

suicideking

Most of the breaks I have seen were on the rear axle - mainly broken shafts, one of which happened on JKX 2011. After his 2nd break, Currie wouldn't warranty them anymore and said he was playing too hard. Not exactly something I'd want to hear after dropping so much coin for something that was supposed to be a lot stronger. I'm not sure the exact amount but, he's also broken multiple ring and pinions.

That's definitely discouraging. Pay that much for aftermarket axles, it would really piss me off if they broke. What size wheels is he on? Assuming 40's? I'll have to checkout that video.

noroad

:thumb: You wont be disappointed!

Ya from what i hear its pretty much the monster of 44s, i was trying to holding out to see if G2 would get there head out there a$$ but every time i call and ask about there new core 44 its "Will know in 2 weeks" standard answer from dec till now lol!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ProRocks are for sure made in the USA and by a company that ONLY makes axles. G2 is the axle name for Transamerica - i.e. 4Wheel parts. When I was at SEMA last year, I pressed G2 on the issue and was assured that they are all made in the USA as well but then, some of their products clearly had it stamped into them and some did not. Couldn't get a good explanation as to why that was. For me personally, I would prefer to buy an axle made by a company that specializes in making the best axles you can get and the best axles you can get only - not a company that makes suspension products called ProComp, bumpers called Smittybilt and then, oh yeah, axles called G2. But of course, that's just me.

Top Bottom