ARB Refrigerator/Freezer

jkjurny

Thinking of picking this up.

On a 2012 JKU, does it fit perfectly on the driver side with the rear seats up? I'm worried about the bump on the tailgate. All the pictures I've seen have it mounted on the passenger side.

How about in bear country? Do you leave it in the Jeep, or pull it out and into the bear locker? Thanks!

Serg5000

I have an 08 and it fits without issue. The fridge is 28" longish, and the space I have with the seat up is about 30".I'm not sure is the rear dimensions changed in the newer models.

Benny

Fit's just fine in the back of my 13. The stock power port back there isn't enough for powering the fridge. Run a dedicated fridge circut like the one ARB sells right to the battery. I wouldn't count on it being bear-proof as it's just a plastic lid and latch.

Heholua

Fit's just fine in the back of my 13. The stock power port back there isn't enough for powering the fridge. Run a dedicated fridge circut like the one ARB sells right to the battery. I wouldn't count on it being bear-proof as it's just a plastic lid and latch.

What problems are you having? I run an 80 qt fridge off the stock power port with no problems on my 2012.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Depends on the size you buy. Mine runs great off the power plug up front. I have a 2010 so I installed a plug in the back that goes straight to the battery.

Benny

It would work for a little while but I kept getting a flashing red light. Even set the battery monitor cutoff to low and it would still shut off after an hour or so. Ever since I added the ARB fridge wiring loom directly to the battery I haven't had any issues. The wires to the stock 12volt plug in the back are very tiny 16-18 guage.

sean.m.adams33

Really looking in to getting an ARB fridge/freezer, was hoping to see some pics of how people have it mounted and hooked up. Thanks!

davantalus

In bear country you'll want to put it in an available trailhead box... mainly because you don't want the bear opening your jeep (nevermind the arb) like an anchovies tin to get at your hummus and chapstick.

Serious sierra explorers will enforce a "no eating ANYTHING" in their vehicles. But much like the "...I only have to run faster than you." I tend to rely on "I only have to smell less tasty than the guy in the next site."

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sweet. Didn't know if anyone was getting crazy with it. Ratchet straps it is.

A lot of people do. ARB makes a nice slide out system for the back. They also make specific tie down straps for the cooler. I've seen slide out racks for trunk decks that then drop down to waist height with slide out cutting boards. Just depends on what you want to spend. :yup:

RodCyn

Yup, you can use straps to hold it down, which works well or more elaborate setups.

I tend to do just a little more :brows:

ARB Slide Out with Hold Down Straps with a Dedicated Power Source, installed into the Sub-Box

p6dv.jpg

3pvv.jpg

jkjurny

Yup, you can use straps to hold it down, which works well or more elaborate setups.

ARB Slide Out with Hold Down Straps with a Dedicated Power Source, installed into the Sub-Box

p6dv.jpg

3pvv.jpg

That's a nice setup!

sean.m.adams33

p6dv.jpg

3pvv.jpg

That's a pretty serious setup. Way more than just ratchet straps. Think I'm just gonna go with the straps.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Reviving this to see what sizes people are running? There are at least 4 by my count - 37/50/63/82qt. Any people get a smaller and wish they would have gotten larger? Vice versa?

Also, has anyone looked at other brands like Dometic? ARB is the only brand I see people running, but occasionally I see some others like Engel. Curious if anyone has experience with any of them.

Last edited:

RodCyn

Reviving this to see what sizes people are running? There are at least 4 by my count - 37/50/63/82qt. Any people get a smaller and wish they would have gotten larger? Vice versa?

Also, has anyone looked at other brands like Dometic? ARB is the only brand I see people running, but occasionally I see some others like Engel. Curious if anyone has experience with any of them.

The footprint between the 37 qt and 50 qt are the same. The only difference is approx 3" off the top.
That being said, if you're not trying to save vertical space, the 50 qt is more efficient as you can place bottles of water in the rear/top compartment, standing up, but can't on the 37.
Also full bottles of wine fit, standing straight up, in the front of the 50, but not in the 37. This was explained to me by a dealer, prior to my purchase.

Top Bottom