Lift Comparison

leximann

Alright, it's about time I invest in a lift for my JK. Originally I was going to do the 2" Rancho Sport suspension with the 5000 shocks. After some input and research, I think I want to go bigger (If I don't now, I will regret it in the future lol) so now I'm between the Rancho 3" or 4" sport suspension with 9000XL shocks, and the 4" Old Man Emu suspension system. The OME is a bit more expensive, but if has a better overall quality then I'm willing. So tell me your opinions or past experiences you've had!

Jahowt

From my experience (Rock Krawler 3.5"), the cost goes up once you cross the 2.5" line. With anything larger than 2.5", you will also need to consider either modifying the crossover y-pipe on the exhaust or changing the front driveshaft (which will likely need to be done at some point either way). Brakelines need to be longer or re-routed and geometry may need to be fixed. Minor tweaks will be required as well such as the rear axle vent tubing will need to be extended.

I'd run through installation steps online for each of the lifts and see if anything gives you heartburn, then pick the lift that fits your need best.

leximann

From my experience (Rock Krawler 3.5"), the cost goes up once you cross the 2.5" line. With anything larger than 2.5", you will also need to consider either modifying the crossover y-pipe on the exhaust or changing the front driveshaft (which will likely need to be done at some point either way). Brakelines need to be longer or re-routed and geometry may need to be fixed. Minor tweaks will be required as well such as the rear axle vent tubing will need to be extended.

I'd run through installation steps online for each of the lifts and see if anything gives you heartburn, then pick the lift that fits your need best.

I guess I didn't really think about how it will affect everything else. I'm new at all this so I guess I'll start more research

904Jeep

4" 's of lift is a lot for a 2door on 35's. Personally I wouldn't go higher than a 3.5". You also need to keep in mind that you will net more lift than advertised, especially if you choose a lift that is not 2 door specific. My 2.5" actually netted me 3" 's

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I agree with what 904jeep said. I have a 2.5" teraflex lift that yielded me about 3.25-3.5" of lift. I run 35's with trim fenders and it's enough. Hinrich runs the 3" enforcer on his 2 door with 37's and flat flares. He yields about 3.5" of lift

Sent from my iPhone

Beyrgut

Being this close to Jeep Beach, definitely hold out on buying anything until afterwards. You are going right? There is always tons of rigs in various configurations with owners more than willing to talk about what they like and don't like about their current setup. The only downside of the event is the overwhelming amount of ideas you get and having to make them all work :icon_crazy:.

leximann

Being this close to Jeep Beach, definitely hold out on buying anything until afterwards. You are going right? There is always tons of rigs in various configurations with owners more than willing to talk about what they like and don't like about their current setup. The only downside of the event is the overwhelming amount of ideas you get and having to make them all work :icon_crazy:.

Yes I plan on being there either Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday, but Im going to wait till after, I just want to narrow it down to have something to compare with. I cant wait!

I agree with what 904jeep said. I have a 2.5" teraflex lift that yielded me about 3.25-3.5" of lift. I run 35's with trim fenders and it's enough. Hinrich runs the 3" enforcer on his 2 door with 37's and flat flares. He yields about 3.5" of lift

Wow, I guess I also didnt account for the weight of the 2 door lol, so now its the Old Man Emu 2" and they offer load specific for the 2 door, or the 2" Rancho sport suspension with 9000 XL shocks, which is also 2 door specific. I would like to end up in the higher 2 to lower 3 inch area overall with my lift, so possibly the 3" Rancho. But like Beyrgut said Im sure Ill have a beter idea (along with tons of ideas) after Jeep Beach

Sent from my iPhone

4" 's of lift is a lot for a 2door on 35's. Personally I wouldn't go higher than a 3.5". You also need to keep in mind that you will net more lift than advertised, especially if you choose a lift that is not 2 door specific. My 2.5" actually netted me 3" 's

The ones Im looking at happen to be 2 Door specific, but if the emus are really worth it Id do the 2" forsure, but if the Ranchos are the winner Id have to think about it because of the huge price difference from 2-3...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just remember that when you get a 2 door specific one you will be right around that height. So if your looking to run 35's I would go with the 3" Rancho. You can't beat their prices right now with the rebate they are offering.

Sent from my iPhone

leximann

The 3" SPORT system (and 4" SPORT system) comes with a front adjustable track bar and rear track bar bracket, front sway bar links, front and rear bump stop spacers, front stainless steel brake lines and rear brackets so I feel like I would be getting all the extra things I needed to change in one package? Would that be correct?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The 3" SPORT system (and 4" SPORT system) comes with a front adjustable track bar and rear track bar bracket, front sway bar links, front and rear bump stop spacers, front stainless steel brake lines and rear brackets so I feel like I would be getting all the extra things I needed to change in one package? Would that be correct?

Yea the only thing you maybe missing from the kit is adjustable front lower control arms. I didn't look at it so idk if they are included or not

Sent from my iPhone

Beyrgut

Don't forget to factor in at least a new front driveshaft and most likely rear. I don't remember the lift heights for a 2 door but over 2.5 a front is a matter of time for 2Dr and 4Dr.

904Jeep

Don't forget to factor in at least a new front driveshaft and most likely rear. I don't remember the lift heights for a 2 door but over 2.5 a front is a matter of time for 2Dr and 4Dr.

Being at 3" on my 2 door I have had to replace the front after 6 months and the rear is on its way out too.

For the OP, you would also need rear adjustable upper control arms should you replace the rear shaft.

leximann

Being at 3" on my 2 door I have had to replace the front after 6 months and the rear is on its way out too.

For the OP, you would also need rear adjustable upper control arms should you replace the rear shaft.

Gotcha, I guess there really is a lot to consider. And brands or suggestions on the control arms or shafts?

CerOf

Gotcha, I guess there really is a lot to consider. And brands or suggestions on the control arms or shafts?

I have Adams and it's been great. No issues and good customer service. Others have good success with coast and je reel. The key is to make sure you get me with spicer or neapco u-joints. Any of the above three will treat you right. All you have to tell them is year, 2/4 door, lift height, tire size and they'll get you paired up with what you need.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Beyrgut

I have a JE Reel 1310 up front and no complaints. If I ever go to anything bigger than 35's I will go to their 1350's, but being in FL I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Make sure your kit whichever one you order has extended or drop brackets for the brake lines.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Top Bottom