Ford ecoboost in a JK?!

cmireles

So check check this out. I just so happen to have at my disposal the following:

-2013 ford 3.5L ecoboost engine/trans pulled from an explorer sport
-A grandfather who is a great mechanic/welder/fabricator/creative mind

Opinions anyone? I think this is a really cool idea, given the 365 hp engine is much more powerful and fuel efficient than this damn 3.8 liter. Plus it sound fun and challenging. I get to feel like an engineer for a little lol

Would be going in a 2010 JK 2 door sport

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sounds awesome and a cool idea!. Only issue I see is getting the ecu and electronics to all work together. Look at the wiring issues Moby had with a common LS swap.

Sent from my iPhone

pastorwug

each to his own when it comes to what is "fun."
That would not be my idea of fun - to what advantage would you gain by sticking a Ford into a JK?
The 3.8 is not the best but it ain't that bad.

cmireles

each to his own when it comes to what is "fun."
That would not be my idea of fun - to what advantage would you gain by sticking a Ford into a JK?
The 3.8 is not the best but it ain't that bad.

Well the point of the ecoboost was more that I just happen to have one. But I feel there would be. Lot of gain here. 365hp in the Eco vs 205 in the 3.8, and an even better comparison in torque plus the engine in itself has better fuel consumption. If it can pull around an F-150 with no problem and get decent mpg, I'd love to see what it can do to a jeep!

cmireles

Sounds awesome and a cool idea!. Only issue I see is getting the ecu and electronics to all work together. Look at the wiring issues Moby had with a common LS swap.

Sent from my iPhone

True with the Ecu. Probably end up dragging it to roush to see if they could solve those issues.

munstie

I think it would be cool as well if it could be made into a simple conversion, like the Hemi and LS swaps..

trailless

Caught the Bug
If this wrangler isn't your daily driver than go for it!

What axles to you have? Wouldn't want to snap something the first time you launch from a red light.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

eeftw

I would be interested how you do the turbo piping. You would be getting into some money there. As far as the trans you can't beat the 6r80 auto trans ford has right now. They take a beating from the mustang crowd.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
For what it would cost you and the headaches I would sell the ecoboost and buy an LS with a kit from motech.

Last edited:

Jeeper Jr.

For what it would cost you and the headaches I would sell the economist and buy an LS with a kit from motech.

It may not be what you want to hear but this is a good suggestion. Still, I would love to see a Ford powered Jeep.

eeftw

I wonder how well a new 5.0 4v engine would do. Might be a little tight tho... Haha imagine a v8 in. 2 door... I would kill myself lol.

cmireles

If this wrangler isn't your daily driver than go for it!

What axles to you have? Wouldn't want to snap something the first time you launch from a red light.

Factory d44 rear. But yeah it's my dd lol

Top Bottom