When to use lockers

JKU EXTREME

Okay. So I am still new to offroading, never (really) offloaded so I'm not that savvy. So my questions are: When do you use your lockers? are they before you get to a difficult obstacle?, after the first attempt? And which ones do you use in different scenarios?
I appreciate y'all helping out.
Thanks
-John W.

finger3

I wheel fairly often and mainly use them only on very bad obstacles. If you use them with too much traction you could break an axle shaft not to mention without hydro boost in your steering the front being locked is near impossible to steer.

JKU EXTREME

I wheel fairly often and mainly use them only on very bad obstacles. If you use them with too much traction you could break an axle shaft not to mention without hydro boost in your steering the front being locked is near impossible to steer.

Wow... Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

Jersey_Devil

I'm the same way. Sometimes I'll give it a go unlocked first, then do just the rear and if I still can't get it, then I'll lock the front in also

Sent from my obama monitoring device

2trackin

I lock up when going through or over an obstacle I'm sure I'll need them. Otherwise I lock up when I lose traction and cannot continue onward without them. Of course it can be fun seeing how far you can go without them, mainly if you don't have other people following you to hold up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I never understood the whole "I try it unlocked and then lock if I can't do it" thing. You spent the money on lockers use them!

noroad

I never understood the whole "I try it unlocked and then lock if I can't do it" thing. You spent the money on lockers use them!

Ya but you will be suprised on what you can do unlocked and if your not in a hardcore spot going throw open might be a little more challenging for the drive(might even improve over all driver skill)!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ya but you will be suprised on what you can do unlocked and if your not in a hardcore spot going throw open might be a little more challenging for the drive(might even improve over all driver skill)!

I am unlocked so I am aware of what can be done. But when I put my locker in soon I'll be using it all the time.

Armydog

I lock the rear every time I'm in loose stuff - around here it's almost always mud now that the snow is gone....

I have a bypass relay that allows me to lock the stock rubicon front and rear in any range. So I use the rear lockers more than I would if that was not possible- four wheel low seems pretty restrictive for fire road type wheeling.

Have used the front lockers when trying to climb the front end onto a rock or over a snow pile, helped pull the jeep up and onto whatever I was trying to get on. Unlocked them as soon as I got where I wanted to be. I have the stock rubicon d44 bastard axle and don't want to push it that hard for fear of breakage....

I actually try to run where I'm going in 2 wheel drive and switch into 4 wheel and lock the axles when needed... Then I will downgrade back into 2 wheel drive if I can... Maybe I'm a wimp or need to try harder trails.....

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Jeeper Jr.

Time for a supernoobish question...
Can you lock up when you are already in a hard place? Or do you have to lock before you hit the obstacle? Like if I'm twisted up with a wheel in the air and the other in a ditch. When I hit the button, will I instantly lock? Or do I need to move abit? What is the locking procedure?
Sorry for the thread-hijack but I thought it was as good a place as any.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Armydog

I guess that depends on the type of lockers you have. My stock electric rubicon lockers (2005) lock up when I push the button. If I'm spinning in mud, I stop lock them in and go. They seem to activate, but technically the jeep is moving because the tires are spinning when switching from open to locked.... Again, not a lot of rock crawling for me, mostly trails and mud....

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

MTG

Caught the Bug
I use mine...when I remember to push the button...which is usually about the time I am stuck and somebody calls out "Hey, are you locked?!"

:cheesy:

jesse3638

Hooked

Not to mention typically there is unnecessary trail damage done due to spinning wheels that otherwise would not have been. That kind of stuff can get trails closed and ruin it for everyone. As Adam mentioned, you bought lockers why not use them. There is no shame in that.

JAGS

Hooked
I use mine...when I remember to push the button...which is usually about the time I am stuck and somebody calls out "Hey, are you locked?!"

Same here

Sent via carrier pigeon

X3. I'm always amazed how good of spotters the Walmart cart guys are. ;) :cheesy:

One thing I did learn the hard way with the stock e-locker is that they apparently don't enjoy snow. I seized my rear locker up in big bear the first winter I had my jeep. I think it was a bunch of BS, but jeep tech said not to use in snow. But they were nice enough to replace under warranty. So can't be too mad. Damn thing seized so bad, they had to give me a whole new rear housing.

So for what it is worth, consider not using your e-locker in snow. :idontknow:

GCM 2

Lockers, never used mine.....

I'll help you to understand; I just really enjoy using my winch, I mean I spent money on my winch.....plus its why I take passengers and/or use spotters. They "wanted to go four wheeling too", or "wanted to spot for the group". I'm just putting them to work in the job they applied for, I'm an equal opportunity off road employer :rock:

On the rare chance I am riding solo, I just follow MTG. When he gets stuck, I then know to 'engage lockers' before the point MTG got stuck at. However, if he is still nearby I would just yell at him to start running my winch cable to a recovery point on his rig "Knuckles", or a rock, or a tree, or hook the line to my spare tire and then bury my spare tire no less than four feet deep and use that as a winch point . I don't remember paying for lockers, but I remember buying my winch, so I use it, a lot. :standing wave:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'll help you to understand; I just really enjoy using my winch, I mean I spent money on my winch.....plus its why I take passengers and/or use spotters. They "wanted to go four wheeling too", or "wanted to spot for the group". I'm just putting them to work in the job they applied for, I'm an equal opportunity off road employer :rock:

On the rare chance I am riding solo, I just follow MTG. When he gets stuck, I then know to 'engage lockers' before the point MTG got stuck at. However, if he is still nearby I would just yell at him to start running my winch cable to a recovery point on his rig "Knuckles", or a rock, or a tree, or hook the line to my spare tire and then bury my spare tire no less than four feet deep and use that as a winch point . I don't remember paying for lockers, but I remember buying my winch, so I use it, a lot. :standing wave:

Well I guess that makes sense. Now I know. :thumb:

Top Bottom