How to Successfully Sell Bad Product at a Higher Price

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just read this article about how a beer like Corona can have a grade of 1.69 out of 10, get a Beer Advocate “awful” rating of 55 out of 100, is described as having a “faded aromas of sulphur, faint skunk, mild cooked veggies” and yet, is still one of the most successful selling beers in America. Of course, in spite of all that, it somehow enjoyed being the 6th best selling beer in America and at $30 a case on average, is almost twice the cost of other popular American brews. How is that possible you might ask? The answer is in the article below...

The Corona coup: How Constellation sells so much bad beer
wine-conglomerate-constellation-brands-buys-20130607-235639-303.jpg

Constellation Brands (STZ), best known as a wine empire, is once again crooning about Corona. Last year it bought all of the Mexican brewery that makes the beer and the company that imports it to the U.S. The results have been intoxicating: Profit in the recent quarter almost doubled because of a surge in Corona sales.

Corona is now the fifth bestselling beer in the U.S., selling more than double the amount of Heineken, the next most popular import. It’s growing while the rest of the beer business is drying up or being siphoned off by new small-batch brewers. Last year, Corona sales rose 4 percent.

Here’s the curious thing: Corona is not very good—at least by most critical accounts.

After 3,200 reviews at RateBeer.com, Corona has a grade of 1.69 out of 10. The Beer Advocate gives Corona an “awful” rating of 55 out of 100 and the following description: “faded aromas of sulphur, faint skunk, mild cooked veggies.”

Not only is Corona not very good—it’s one of the worst Mexican beers. Here’s how the folks at Beer Advocate rank other suds from south of the border.

Bohemia 77
Negra Modelo 77
Dos Equis Amber 72
Victoria 68
Modelo Especial 66
Pacifico 63
Tecate 60
Sol 58

Oddly enough, Constellation makes and distributes four of those brews: Negra Modelo, Victoria, Modelo Especial, and Pacifico.

Granted, American drinkers guzzle a lot of beer that doesn’t draw rave reviews. For example, according to Chicago-based research firm IRI, one in five beers downed in the U.S. is a Bud Light, hardly a go-to for beer snobs. Bud Light and Coors Light are popular in large part because they’re cheap. Corona, at $30 a case on average, is almost twice the cost of Natural Light, the No. 6 selling beer in the country.

So how has Constellation kept the Corona party going? In a word, marketing. Crown always pushed Corona pretty hard, but Constellation has been even more aggressive with its advertising since it took over entirely in June. Specifically, it set out to boost its return in colder months.

Constellation rolled out a campaign in the fall featuring former NFL coach Jon Gruden during Monday Night Football. Meanwhile, the company cooked up a Thanksgiving promotion with Woodbridge and Butterball. The receptionists on Butterball’s turkey hotline were pushing Corona as a logical pairing choice.

Constellation recently has been playing up Cinco de Mayo, a day more than any other that marks the brand’s marketing coup. “We will continue to build our Corona de Mayo equity to reinforce our positioning around summer’s first fiesta,” Chief Executive Officer Robert Sands said during a conference call with analysts this week. Note the not-at-all subtle phrasing, “Corona de Mayo.” That’s like saying the “Fourth of Jack Daniels.”

Of course, an emphasis on marketing isn’t a new strategy in the beer business. Despite bloated advertising budgets, some of the biggest brands in the game have seen sales slip. Constellation’s Corona strategy is different, however, because of its consistency. The ads don’t talk about taste or hops or extra clean water. The image is not seasonal or dark or light. With the exception of the turkey promotion, the formula is simple: sand, sun, and lime wedges.

Corona isn’t selling beer. It’s selling the idea of having a beer on a beachside vacation. And the millions of beer drinkers who’ve taken a spring break trip to Cancun or hit a California taco stand don’t really care what the brew tastes like.

See whole article here:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-c...llation-sells-so-much-bad-beer-150650252.html

Of course, for those who are paying attention, this applies to everything including aftermarket Jeep parts. In spite of how overpriced, gimmicky, useless, substandard or just flat out bad something maybe, if you market it well, you will have eager buyers ready to become your fanboys. Of course, that's just me, what do I know :D

Trembley

That's a bummer..I actually really like Tecate..with a lime and salt...sucks it did so poorly on the meter. I personally do not care for Corona at all, but if it's all there is, I won't say no lol!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Very interesting read. I do not drink regularly (or socially for that matter). I drink maybe 2 times a year, and that is always to excess! From what I remember from my last trip to the River Walk in SA Texas, Corona tasted like every other drink I had that night. Seemed only the colors of the drinks changed but they all tasted the same. My face was numb too. Or maybe I was drunk. :doh:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Marketing is everything!

I've always thought Carona tasted as bad as Coors or any of the lesser beers. IMO If you have to put a lime in your beer to make it drinkable, it's not worth drinking

pastorwug

Thus the entire catalog of Smittybuilt from China - junk, but marketed at a competitive price for those that can't save and wait.
Not trying to step on any toes but I remember asking David at Northridge about Smittybuilt and he gave me the 411.

NV375

I have never been a drinker but, I always thought it was funny when I traveled to Mexico in the 80s and early 90s. Mostly Baja in the rural areas. Bud was better than cash to barter with. The Americans would buy up cases of corona when we went through the city and the locals would laugh. I would horde the Mexican made Coke in the bottle. :beer:

Rccrwlr

It really is pretty funny how much Corona flies off the shelf. Can't stand it personally! Support you local micro brewery. The beer is SOOO much better

--rccrwlr

Mdeeq

yep

a longggg time ago (before mexican beer really became popular in the us) i visited mexico and included a stop at the corona brewery. Id never put that stuff in my face now. My personal fave mexi beer is the Bohemia or the Superior. Also like MIcheladas. if you've never had one, ask the google. or just order one up at a mex restaurant. mui bueno.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
This is why I only drink micro brews anymore these days. Dogfish head, yards, and victory are just a few of the local beers I choose over the "beer market leaders". Taste is everything

Sent from my iPhone

Chevy Dave

I'm from Wisconsin, nothing but MGD every day for me. Cold filtered draft taste in a can or bottle. Can't beat it

OlllllllO instagram @lucythejeep

Armydog

to the OP - truth at its best! Too bad marketing is so very effective, there are a few things on my jeep I would return and not rebuy if I had not fallen victim to aggressive marketing!!! oh well, live and learn.

Sithwindu

What draws me to coronas is that skunky taste!!! Lol call me weird . Tho not my favorite (that's firemans 4 right now) it's a nice beach beer (along with modelo and dos)

Brewman

I make my own beer but even the worst beer I have made is far better than a Corona. I will say that Corona does have it's place, just like a "Hot and Ready" Little Caesars Pizza. It's crap but sometimes the just sound good.

Top Bottom