EVO Manufacturing JK 07-12, Trans Crossmember Exhaust Skid - EVO1093B

pastorwug

I've got the Oil Pan skid, the Auto Tranny Skid and the piece between the tranny and oil pan skid - how necessary is this (EVO Manufacturing JK 07-12, Trans Crossmember Exhaust Skid - EVO1093B) skid and is it a must for the Rubicon trip? :thinking:

Last edited:
It looks like from your profile you are running short arms like me. I have found that they seem to funnel rocks right into my exhaust cross-over and loop. For me, this was a big issue so I use the skid.

All I can say about the Rubicon is on all the videos I watch there are always a few comments about how their skid plates got used.... I have not done the Rubicon for personal experience but hope to soon.

pastorwug

Yes, short arms.
So you're saying that without this skid there seems to be a build up of rocks and debris near your exhaust - I haven't experienced that.
OR - with this skid that happens? :thinking:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would say that it's necessary and something I'm looking into as well. It will be nice to have extra protection for the crossmember and you exhaust

Sent from my iPhone

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm confused. :thinking: You have all skids but you are wondering whether you should put the middle skid on?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

pastorwug

Spoke with a guy that is a Rubicon "expert" (by his own admission and hates anything EVO) and he said that every possible skid there is would be a must for the Rubicon, but he wanted me to buy them from Poly Performance which seems to be very popular here on the Central Coast of California.

Point being that the crossmember skid is the only one I'm missing from EVO and was wondering if others run it as well.

pastorwug

I'm confused. :thinking: You have all skids but you are wondering whether you should put the middle skid on?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sorry, maybe I'm confused as well - but speaking about the crossmember/exhaust skid only at this point.

Yes, short arms.
So you're saying that without this skid there seems to be a build up of rocks and debris near your exhaust - I haven't experienced that.
OR - with this skid that happens? :thinking:

No, I'm saying that the shorter arms cause rock slide-offs to be directed at the exhaust (in my case). From what I can tell, it seems long arms would slide on a rock past the exhaust which is good as I don't think the crossmember skid works with long arms. :idontknow:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Sorry, maybe I'm confused as well - but speaking about the crossmember/exhaust skid only at this point.

I just have the factory cross member and I have ran some pretty extreme trails, including the Rubicon a few times. Granted, it is beat up … :shock:

pastorwug

So, considering the amount oif undercarriage damage that often happens on the Rubicon trail it looks like I'll be buying this - more protection better than less.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have no additional skids on my rig and I ran the rubicon last year. Maybe I did it wrong. :idon'tknow:

Don't lie. You know you use the excess bubble wrap from all the stuff you order on Amazon.com.

Pastor if you you have a skid, why not run it? I have all three EVO skids, but maybe I'm just a fanboy and it's the not best advice. :idontknow: I just know a dented exhaust crossover is not something I would want to deal with.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Since my jeep has been lifted with exhaust spacers I have scraped my crossmember but it's not dented or damaged. And it hangs down below the trans crossmember. You'll be fine with or without it.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
I'm running short arms, have the EVO cross member skid, and ran the rubicon. The skid did its job twice. Bashed pretty good but saved the crossmember exhaust(that really what it protects. Not as critical for cross member). So I'm glad I had/have it. It will bend. Particularly on the passenger side. Some have made some nice mods to beef up that side. think there's an excellent write up on it.

I'm running short arms, have the EVO cross member skid, and ran the rubicon. The skid did its job twice. Bashed pretty good but saved the crossmember exhaust(that really what it protects. Not as critical for cross member). So I'm glad I had/have it. It will bend. Particularly on the passenger side. Some have made some nice mods to beef up that side. think there's an excellent write up on it.

I did this... http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?9690-EVO-Protek-JK-Cross-member-Skid-Improvement

But someone else might have better ideas.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Spoke with a guy that is a Rubicon "expert" (by his own admission and hates anything EVO) and he said that every possible skid there is would be a must for the Rubicon, but he wanted me to buy them from Poly Performance which seems to be very popular here on the Central Coast of California.

That pretty much tells you all you need to know about that guy.

ttfhell

Anybody come up with a good way to bend it down without removing the skid? It's a pain and I'm lazy lol.

Top Bottom