BlackKnight's Commando Build

BlackKnight

Well, I figured my build was going to be over the course of years. Though some of the bigger things will still likely be years, like: Junkyard custom dana 60s, 37s, 4inch lift. I'm starting a thread now as I have the bug. The bug that will only be controlled by my wife slapping me upside the head now and then for spending too much...

Here is the list so far:
2013 JKUS Commando Green
Rugged Ridge hood protector
Rugged Ridge door sill protectors
Rugged Ridge door window guards
Quadratrac Floor mats (Front/Back/Cargo)
Tuffy Door Locks
Tuffy Hood Lock

As above installed:
IMG_0015small.jpg

Just recieved and will be installed this weekend.
ORE Rear Bumper Facia
ORE Rear Frame D ring mounts
Rugged Ridge Tow Hitch w/electrical Harness

IMG_0123small.jpg IMG_0124small.jpg

To Carry my and my wife's bikes a Thule Parkway 2 (2" hitch mount two bike rack, not pictured)

Just Purchased from Home Depot:
Self etching primer, high temp Satin black automotive paint, one small canister of acetone for paint prep and cleaning, for the Aluminum ORE Facia
Rustoleum "oregano green" satin enamel paint, 4 pieces of aluminum "gutter guard" a bundle of zip ties and small square fasteners for them to make a set of grill inserts color matched to the jeep

Also purchased but over the winter: 1 case of Plasitdip Flat Black for Rims, and front grill.

Plans for this weekend (weather permitting)
Remove stock rear bumper and hook
Paint the pinch seams on the back end of the jeep
Install Ds and rear facia
Time and wife permitting, Pull, clean and plastidip the rims
even more time and wife permitting, Pull the grill and Plastidip that as well.

BlackKnight

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399492861.423910.jpg smittybuilt tailgate storage installed. On to the bumper.

Sent from my Apple personal messaging system using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlackKnight

Antenna X 13" antenna installed.

Last edited:

BlackKnight

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399495401.879639.jpg
Bumper removed. Now just to bolt everything in.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
i really wish you guys would stop putting these evo rear facias on, it's making me want one more and more! really cleans up the back. looks good!

BlackKnight

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399499756.050839.jpg

Slight delay. After pulling all the install hardware out for the d ring hangers. Found something missing. Small screw plates for the rear bolts are not present. I'll give Mel and the guys over at EVO a quick call, their customer service is top notch, I'm sure the will be on their way ASAP.

BlackKnight

i really wish you guys would stop putting these evo rear facias on, it's making me want one more and more! really cleans up the back. looks good!

Lol. That was the reasoning why I got mine.

BlackKnight

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399500056.733662.jpg
Facia bolted in with the stock bumper bolts. Now just waiting on the bolt plates to finish the D's.

Also when I do the final assembly I'll be painting the pinch seam (flat black to match the other hardware)

Boji

How do you like the shorty antenna? I've so many negative comments about the reception with them

BlackKnight

How do you like the shorty antenna? I've so many negative comments about the reception with them

It works good for me. But I'm mostly on satellite radio and not that rural. I'd assume once I get to the mountains away from civilization the reception will be less than the stock one. For me though the steel whip was not optimal.

BlackKnight

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402178996.388598.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402179006.693825.jpg

Added my new stickers

Wind shield, 2x cowl, back corner and back window.

Jeepin_Jeepata13

Looking good man. Can't go wrong with the Commando Green either. It was the only color I wanted and the salesman looked at me like I was crazy!

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlackKnight

Commando green looks great. Looking forward to following your build. What's up next on the list?

Have to finish the rear facia off with the "D" ring assemblies. Got the missing parts (the nuts with tabs) from ORE last week. Now just waiting on a nice weekend day to install (have to trim the frame first also).

Next (soon) is a front stubby bumper that closely matches the simplicity of the rear facia.

fancyHippo

dig the EVO rear fascia and d-ring mounts. I'm sure it will look great when you find the right front bumper. :thumb:

BlackKnight

Think I found my Front Bumper..

Has anyone had anything from Rough Country? Quality wise are they any good?

I'm looking at either the Hybrid Stubby (with Fogs)
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jk-stubby-winch-bumper-1062.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGSpcSHWN64

or the Standard Stubby (Also has Fog placement)
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jk-stubby-winch-bumper-1054.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TgjFMUQdDU

Both re-utilize my Factory Fogs which I'll have till I switch to LEDs. The Standard Stubby sounds like it's built from thicker steel all around (Hybrid is 1/4" main w/ 1/16" on the end caps), but Lighter is sometimes better, sometimes...

BlackKnight

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1408837124.505117.jpg
Rotated the tires and plastidiped the factory rims. Next up the grill now that the nicer weather seems to be here.

Top Bottom