[Saving You Money] Hard Top Storage System

tonytony9

Dear Forums,

It's that time of year again; time to bring out the hard tops. Instead of dropping a fortune on a hardtop lift system I created my own for little under $20.00 and a quick trip to my local hardware store.

Many probably already do this or know about it, however, I thought I could share my own personal system/experience.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398283052.672642.jpg
As you can see from the picture my system is pretty self explanatory.

First buy yourself a set of these:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398283095.956362.jpg
I got a four for only $17.00 - Hold up to 1200 pounds I believe.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398283134.575982.jpg
If you have rafters in your garage then buy some sort of hooks (got mine from an old swing set) in order to hook the ends of the straps onto.

Simply open the back window, wrap the straps around and begin to lift your roof. It is pretty self explanatory and in a way unique to your own garage. Hope this helps someone out though!

Question: Is the system which I am using harmful to the hard top in anyway? I have it evenly balanced and it is only holding its only weight. I just want to make sure it won't cause any significant damage.

Thanks,
Tony

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

munstie

Made my own as well, the rope is just to stabilize the top.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1398284209006.jpg
    1398284209006.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 588
  • 1398284236020.jpg
    1398284236020.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 589

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Dear Forums,

It's that time of year again; time to bring out the hard tops. Instead of dropping a fortune on a hardtop lift system I created my own for little under $20.00 and a quick trip to my local hardware store.

Many probably already do this or know about it, however, I thought I could share my own personal system/experience.

View attachment 80120
As you can see from the picture my system is pretty self explanatory.

First buy yourself a set of these:
View attachment 80121
I got a four for only $17.00 - Hold up to 1200 pounds I believe.

View attachment 80122
If you have rafters in your garage then buy some sort of hooks (got mine from an old swing set) in order to hook the ends of the straps onto.

Simply open the back window, wrap the straps around and begin to lift your roof. It is pretty self explanatory and in a way unique to your own garage. Hope this helps someone out though!

Question: Is the system which I am using harmful to the hard top in anyway? I have it evenly balanced and it is only holding its only weight. I just want to make sure it won't cause any significant damage.

Thanks,
Tony

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Back from the dead:
I was thinking about doing something like this, but I have one major question burning a hole in the back of my mind about this: how do you go about lowering it back on the jeep?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Back from the dead:
I was thinking about doing something like this, but I have one major question burning a hole in the back of my mind about this: how do you go about lowering it back on the jeep?

loosen the straps........:idontknow:

tonytony9

Back from the dead:

With two people it really is not that bad. You have to slowly loosen each side to the ground. Then lift the roof back on to the jeep. If your garage is big enough you could essentially just back right up below it and drop it slowly on I assume.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
With two people it really is not that bad. You have to slowly loosen each side to the ground. Then lift the roof back on to the jeep. If your garage is big enough you could essentially just back right up below it and drop it slowly on I assume.

1 person, my girl cant lift half of the top... :dont_tell: lol I was looking into the Harken link because of lowering it, but it doesnt seem the hardware would be feasible to install in the garage at my current residence. 4 eyelets in the ceiling would be much more do-able, but it only will help with removing the hardtop. I know eventually, I will need to put the hard top back on, which is the main reason prompting my question.

tonytony9

1 person, my girl cant lift half of the top... :dont_tell: lol I was looking into the Harken link because of lowering it, but it doesnt seem the hardware would be feasible to install in the garage at my current residence. 4 eyelets in the ceiling would be much more do-able, but it only will help with removing the hardtop. I know eventually, I will want to put the hard top back on.

Only thing I can say is get a friend then haha. I haven't looked into any other system because to me this was so cheap and easy to do.

tonytony9

1 person, my girl cant lift half of the top... :dont_tell: lol I was looking into the Harken link because of lowering it, but it doesnt seem the hardware would be feasible to install in the garage at my current residence. 4 eyelets in the ceiling would be much more do-able, but it only will help with removing the hardtop. I know eventually, I will need to put the hard top back on, which is the main reason prompting my question.

From the looks of it you could probably build and buy everything you need at Home Depot for that system u linked.

Speeddmn

I dont have a picture, but essentially mine is the same, only I use 8 straps, 2 on each corner. One strap is the ratchet style, the other is a slip style. I also have a 2x4 on the front and rear with the eyelets. This allows me to yank on the slip style on each corner to raise it. Ratchet the other to hold (safety), and just move the ladder around. Little slow, but easy for a single person. Hardest part is raising the the rear while inside enough to slide the 2x4 under it.

To lower it I again just use the slip style and go around corner to corner. I'd like to get a cheap electric hoist, but I had these items laying around so I made it for now.

DMF

Back from the dead:

I lower the fronts first. It feels less then 10 pounds as all the weight is in the back. Just take the fronts off the tie down hooks and lower it down to the Jeep. Then walk around to the back and just lift the back off the hooks one corner at a time. It does not feel heavy at all since half the weight is distributed to the front now. I don't ratchet it down, just up. Get some type of foam padding for the back.

JAGS

Hooked
Back from the dead:

loosen the straps........:idontknow:

I have a very similar system holding/securing my hardtop in the garage. Lowering that much weight from above your head by yourself with basic ratchet straps can be a bit scary. The top wants to drop faster than you want. :eek:

I use the ratchet straps to lift up the top much like the OP and other posted up from main rear section of the top. The back glass area is the heaviest. Once it's to the high point of lifting, I use the non ratcheting straps (kind with the teeth - hold 125 lbs each) from each of the front two wholes to two more eyelets in the ceiling studs. Then another two in the rear section of the top to two existing eyelets. When I want to lower, I completely remove the ratchet straps keeping the others in place. Then I can slowly guide the top lower from each corner letting out just a little slack at a time.

I only lower it to the point just above the rear trunk. Back the jeep in the garage and then lower top on top. This way I don't have to lift the top from the ground. I can do the whole process solo. And after a couple times getting used to it, it's relatively easy.

Edit: looks like speeddmn and ooohdave said similar. :yup: Got sidetracked at work and did'nt check thread before submitting. :)

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I lower the fronts first. It feels less then 10 pounds as all the weight is in the back. Just take the fronts off the tie down hooks and lower it down to the Jeep. Then walk around to the back and just lift the back off the hooks one corner at a time. It does not feel heavy at all since half the weight is distributed to the front now. I don't ratchet it down, just up. Get some type of foam padding for the back.

This is an interesting approach, and sounds pretty doable. I may rethink the 4 ratchet strap approach

I have a very similar system holding/securing my hardtop in the garage. Lowering that much weight from above your head by yourself with basic ratchet straps can be a bit scary. The top wants to drop faster than you want. :eek:

I use the ratchet straps to lift up the top much like the OP and other posted up from main rear section of the top. The back glass area is the heaviest. Once it's to the high point of lifting, I use the non ratcheting straps (kind with the teeth - hold 125 lbs each) from each of the front two wholes to two more eyelets in the ceiling studs. Then another two in the rear section of the top to two existing eyelets. When I want to lower, I completely remove the ratchet straps keeping the others in place. Then I can slowly guide the top lower from each corner letting out just a little slack at a time.

I only lower it to the point just above the rear trunk. Back the jeep in the garage and then lower top on top. This way I don't have to lift the top from the ground. I can do the whole process solo. And after a couple times getting used to it, it's relatively easy.

Edit: looks like speeddmn and ooohdave said similar. :yup: Got sidetracked at work and did'nt check thread before submitting. :)

By any chance do you have pictures of this setup? its a little hard to follow having not seen it. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me figure this out. Thank you all.

JAGS

Hooked
By any chance do you have pictures of this setup? its a little hard to follow having not seen it. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me figure this out. Thank you all.

Yeah, thought that after typing. I'm at work, so will try to post up later. Not as contemplated as it may read.

Knuckles76

I use a two strap system and I am able to lift and lower mine by myself

Attachments

• 1418257354470.jpg
    1418257354470.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 1418257384509.jpg
    1418257384509.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 147

Knuckles76

Yes sir... a very simple system if you take your time when raising and lowering. I do like the 2 strap better than the 4 just because I only have to move to 2 straps instead of 4.

JAGS

Hooked
Just getting home. Here's a few pics. A few more straps than others. Lol. It's lifted enough so we can walk under or through the top in the garage. Also the kids sports equipment and craft table are underneath. Last thing I ever want is for one strap to give and the thing to come crashing down on someone. It's not moving or coming down. The chains are rated at 200lbs.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418270133.886801.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418270177.207145.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418270210.570152.jpg

Clem319

This is an interesting approach, and sounds pretty doable. I may rethink the 4 ratchet strap approach

Mine is a 4 strap system with 2x4's screwed into the studs and eye bolts into the 2x4's. I remove the cross straps and leave the other 2 when lowering. It's pretty simple. I back my jeep right under it and lower each corner a few inches at a time. It's a one man operation. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418273209.857844.jpg

My wife's Tahoe goes under it in the garage. Just in case 😂

Knuckles76

I would recommend these straps if going with the 2 strap system.

Attachments

• 1418305156964.jpg
    1418305156964.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 119
Top Bottom