Battery powered drill, saw, grinder...???

Donny

Can anyone recommend a Battery powered drill,saw, and grinder by brand, voltage, and or combo set that you have used on the trail that will last better than a HF set? What do you use? Really prefer to buy better stuff that will last.
AND can they be recharged on the trail? How do you recharge them? (probably a dumb question but the shoe is fitting right now)

Donny

JKbrick

I only buy Milwaukee power tools, just my preference, in my work truck I just got a power invertor to plug my charger into. They have car chargers too I believe

NV375

I don't always take them with me on the trail but I use DeWalt 18v lithium ion every day at work. At work we have the grinders, jigsaws, 6.5" saws (skillsaw), reciprocating saws (sawzall), hammerdrills and 1/4" impact drivers. None have let us down. Before the 18v lithium ion we had 14.4v and 18v nicad they also worked good. We just got our first 2 6.5" circular saws they seem better (more power) but have not had them long-term. At home I have all DeWalt 18v NiCads and rarely brake out corded tools unless I don't have a cordless version. I am thinking about moving to the 20v Lithium ion at home. I do pack mine on camping, hunting and firewood trips not normally on day trail rides.

Sent using the WAYALIFE mobile app

NV375

........AND can they be recharged on the trail? How do you recharge them? (probably a dumb question but the shoe is fitting right now)

Donny

In my personal truck I use the inverter method. At work I have some vehicle chargers on order that plugin to the cigarette lighter sockets. I have never used the vehicle charger before but I have not been able to get permission for an inverter for the work truck so I ordered the chargers.

GCM 2

I personally run Milwaukee brand tools, although I think they are now made in china like everything else :naw: I'm sure most of the brands available at Lowes or Home Depot are going to be 10x more reliable than anything from Harbor Freight or even Craftsmen from Sears, which has gone so far off the deep end with quality I would not even walk into a Sears for any tool. I would only advise that you buy at least something 18v or higher, it is a noticeable difference in power.

You can recharge on the trail, however you will need an power inverter in the jeep to convert from DC to AC. The better option is to just have a few spare batteries with you. Most of the newer tool sets actually run for pretty darn long time on a full charge.

NV375

The DeWalts I have so far made in Mexico. I stopped buying Milwaukee when they went to China. The Chinese made Milwaukee tools we had did not seem to hold up. Still way better and than HF cordless tools. IMHO

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
More and more I am always a bigger believer of dewalt. We have tired everything under the sun at work and they typically seem to be the most powerful and rugged. The new 20v lithium ion line they have is very impressive and from speaking with them should be their power level platform for some time(meaning 22v won't be the new best thing next year). With the lithium ion, do be aware there are multiple Ah ratings ( I think dewalt's now is 1.5 and 4) which will change the power supply greatly.

Most important to me is dewalt's superior customer service. Their repair centers are the most plentiful where they charge flat rates to repair to like new condition no matter the issue. If you have old tools, working or not you no longer want, they do an awesome trade up program in their factory stores where they give you a flat credit no matter the brand or condition.

JKbrick

Do the dewalt have the brushless motors yet? My new 12v brushless Milwaukee is the equivalent of the 18v with brushes and they are small and light. I really am impressed by them. I always get new tools then when the employees need something I pass it on and try another new one

Panda

I work in construction going on my 30th year, over the years things have changed, as far as battery powered dewalt has ruled the roost up until the new Mikita system has come out a couple years ago, the new impact Mikita drill can't be beat it's way lighter & stronger, every professional I know is using it for good reason, just try it you'll see why :yup: you can get the kit with impact driver, drill & six inch circular saw its an awesome set up! charge it before you leave & it'll last a long trip

NV375

The available tools for a given battery is one of the reasons I went to DeWalt years ago. The cordless grinder is my most used tool after my 1/4" impact driver. Old tools using my new batteries is one reason I am still running 18v. I have thought about selling all my current personal cordless tools and changing to newer technology but I keep buying jeep parts. If you are not adding to current tools look at who of the quality brands offers the tools you need or want and think about future expansion.

As for a good brand I will no longer use for cordless tools is Ridgid they do or did offer a lifetime warranty for the ones bought at Home Depot. What a pain around here getting work done. The service center in Las Vegas I have been using said they are thinking of dropping them because of the hassles. I have never needed a service center for my DeWalt tools. I have sold most of my Ridgid cordless tools and saws. They are mostly good tools. I don't like dealing with the registration and warranty process.

Donny

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm gonna roll over to Home Depot and check out some of their stuff then over to Lowes... 18v + Milwaukee or Dewalt are the targets....

Donny

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398619101.300778.jpg
Been using Dewalt's 18V nicad line and have no complaints. Thinking about upgrading to the 20V Lithium Ion but these 18v are still going strong.

The one cordless power tool I use the absolute most is my Snappy CT3110hp. Use it all the time. I rarely fire up the air compressor anymore. Again the newer way more powerful Snap On impacts would be nice. But mine is still plugging away. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1398619433.376001.jpg

Friends don't let friends shop at HF!

Sure you can hassle with free replacements every time you use a tool. I'd just rather invest in nicer tools and be done with it.

Slappy32

I cannot recommend Makita. I am already deep into their 18V line so I'll continue and the tools themselves are second to none. However, their batteries have chips in them that shut the battery down after a fixed number of charges and obviously batteries aren't cheap. Also, if a cell goes bad in a battery, and it fails on the charger three times, it will render the battery useless. Pretty much every contractor down here in the Keys uses Makita for what it's worth and they are great power tools. Makita makes an LED light that is absolutely amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXLM03...8&qid=1398620935&sr=8-1&keywords=makita+light

Last edited:

HDGasser

I love my Milwaukee 18v Li cordless tools but wouldn't hesitate to pick up anything from Dewalt.

Dewalt or Milwaukee can't go wrong with either one IMO.

I also have a 1/2 corded Milwaukee drill that WILL break your wrist if it gets caught up and your not ready for it!

Last edited:

dahreno

Banned
Ridgid seems to make a pretty good tool also, I have never owned a set but have used them. The also have a lifetime warranty on tool and batteries ! Can't beat that .

NV375

Ridgid seems to make a pretty good tool also, I have never owned a set but have used them. The also have a lifetime warranty on tool and batteries ! Can't beat that .

My experience is excellent tools shit warranty. They make it as much of a pain as they can. It took months to get my new batteries. As of when he gave me the batteries the company was still trying to deny coverage. The service center not owned by Ridgid said I did everything I could have and he would fight to get paid and probably stop doing business with them. I still have plenty of Ridgid tools I will not likely be buying any more.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I enjoy reading all of the opinions, but this is pretty much a Ford v. Chevy v. GMC v. Dodge thread.

Every contractor I know or have ever worked with has an opinion about power tools as loyal as their opinion about what truck to use to carry the tools. The opinions are never the same, but they are always resolute.

Top Bottom