need some advise

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
hey guys.
ive noticed since i bought/ installed my Dominion SS relocation bracket about a month and a half or so ago. that my ride quality from the front of the suspension got just a tad bit rougher.
and as of 3-4 weeks ago, its been feeling worse, i feel all of the bumps on the road, and when i off-road as well. the best way to describe it is whenever the tires are overly inflated and a harsh ride is given is almost exactly how it feels .
but my steering wheel, dash, hell almost the whole front end seems to shake and feels pretty bad.
so this leads me to believe two things.
that maybe my wheels need to be rebalanced, because even when im on a nice flat road my steering wheel still tends to shake, and a little more so at higher speeds.
also i think that maybe i didnt torque something right?
which leads me to ask you guys, how exactly are you supposed to properly torque the suspension? am i supposed to have the suspension in the air while the jeep is being supported by the frame?
or am i supposed to put jack stands under the axle supporting it? or is it supposed to be torqued while it sits on the ground?
also if it helps, i am still stock other than the SS and the relo bracket.

there is a thread on here about suspension.

loosen everything in the front end with jeep on the ground give it a shake then torque everything to propper setting!

is the jeep lifted? the steering stabalizer shouldnt give you a harsh ride or wheel shake thats caused by other components!

jeeeep

Hooked
hey guys.
ive noticed since i bought/ installed my Dominion SS relocation bracket about a month and a half or so ago. that my ride quality from the front of the suspension got just a tad bit rougher.
and as of 3-4 weeks ago, its been feeling worse, i feel all of the bumps on the road, and when i off-road as well. the best way to describe it is whenever the tires are overly inflated and a harsh ride is given is almost exactly how it feels .
but my steering wheel, dash, hell almost the whole front end seems to shake and feels pretty bad.
so this leads me to believe two things.
that maybe my wheels need to be rebalanced, because even when im on a nice flat road my steering wheel still tends to shake, and a little more so at higher speeds.
also i think that maybe i didnt torque something right?
which leads me to ask you guys, how exactly are you supposed to properly torque the suspension? am i supposed to have the suspension in the air while the jeep is being supported by the frame?
or am i supposed to put jack stands under the axle supporting it? or is it supposed to be torqued while it sits on the ground?
also if it helps, i am still stock other than the SS and the relo bracket.

So the SS is not the stock unit? did you properly adjust the SS from turn to turn?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
as mentioned make sure everything is torqued back to spec. your trackbar should be at 120 ft/lbs.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
there is a thread on here about suspension.

loosen everything in the front end with jeep on the ground give it a shake then torque everything to propper setting!

is the jeep lifted? the steering stabalizer shouldnt give you a harsh ride or wheel shake thats caused by other components!
yes i have seen this plenty of times but it only discusses the torque settings on the bolts, not how to actually do it.
so i should loosen up the track bar, tie rod, and the drag link on the ground and tighten it up on the ground?

So the SS is not the stock unit? did you properly adjust the SS from turn to turn?
correct, i broke the stock SS about a month and a half after i got the wrangler and got the Bilstein one because i thought i NEEDED a SS, so i bought it as soon as i could at a 4wheelparts store as soon as i could cause i didnt want to wait for one to take a long time to get shipped to me, but later found out one isnt really necessary.
and yes it doesnt collapse on either end.

did you tighten the track bar while the jeep was lifted?

i actually did it on the ground, because i didnt know how i should do it

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
ok. can i do it with it jacked up with the axle supported with jack stands or can i have just the front on ramps?
since i am stock, it is a little tight under there when i try to use the torque wrench.

jesse3638

Hooked
ok. can i do it with it jacked up with the axle supported with jack stands or can i have just the front on ramps?
since i am stock, it is a little tight under there when i try to use the torque wrench.

Do your best to torque everything with the jeep sitting under its own weight on flat ground. This ensures the rubber bushings aren't prelaoded as would happen if you torqued everything with it jacked up and the set it back on the ground.

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Do your best to torque everything with the jeep sitting under its own weight on flat ground. This ensures the rubber bushings are prelaoded as would happen if you torqued everything with it jacked up and the set it back on the ground.

good example of what you are saying as told by mel wade:thumb:

Top Bottom