Oil at manual transmission vent?

JeepDrum

I have a 2008 X 2-door with about 32k on the clock. A few days ago I was underneath it and noticed what seemed to be oil at the vent for the manual tranny. I have limited mechanical knowledge so i cane here for help but couldn't find any posts about it. Does anyone know what this could be?

JeepDrum

I have a 2008 X 2-door with about 32k on the clock. A few days ago I was underneath it and noticed what seemed to be oil at the vent for the manual tranny. I have limited mechanical knowledge so i came here for help but couldn't find any posts about it. Does anyone know what this could be?

Edited to correct spelling

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure it's coming from the vent or just found oil in that area? I would thoroughly clean up the area with some brake cleaner, drive around a bit and then check again. More than likely, it's coming from somewhere else.

JeepDrum

Are you sure it's coming from the vent or just found oil in that area? I would thoroughly clean up the area with some brake cleaner, drive around a bit and then check again. More than likely, it's coming from somewhere else.

Thanks Eddie. I just found it in that area. I'm not sure of anything at this point. I wiped it with a rag while I was down there. Is it ok to spray brake cleaner right in there or should I spray it on a rag and wipe it more thoroughly that way.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. I just found it in that area. I'm not sure of anything at this point. I wiped it with a rag while I was down there. Is it ok to spray brake cleaner right in there or should I spray it on a rag and wipe it more thoroughly that way.

Spray away and wipe it down clean so that you can get a better idea of where it's coming from. Also, what color is the oil? Kind of pinkish or brown?

Top Bottom