Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Custom Offroad Exhaust

Quiet Custom Offroad Exhaust

I have been scouring several forums to get feedback on a few exhaust systems that eliminate the rear muffler on a JKUR. I have had my 2014 JKUR for several months and recently decided to move towards the EVO DTD front and rear suspension and upgrade to long arms. The two pre-packaged exhaust systems I looked at and considered buying were the Magnaflow 17143 or the Dynomax 39522. The issue I had with both was the feedback on several forums for people stating it was too loud, it droned, or it sounded raspy like a civic. The rep from Dynomax on the forum, exchanged messages with me and understood my need to keep the jeep quiet for my fiancee, and was kind enough to provide suggestions on keeping the factory resonator upstream of the 14" canister muffler offered by the 39522 system. Though I truly appreciate the candor from the vendor, the more I thought about it, the more I felt that it was a shame to buy an exhaust system only to butcher it. I decided to take it to a custom exhaust shop to have a custom stainless system installed.

When I got to the shop we discussed utilizing a 6" round 14" long 2.5" inlet/outlet canister muffler with the factory resonator in place. I knew that this would scavange more exhaust energy than the canister muffler on its own. What I ended up going with is a 24" long 5x8 oval 12286 muffler where the factory resonator resides and dumping by the skid of the rear drivers side control arm (factory control arm skid location). All pipes were stainless and I was able to keep the muffler tucked up higher than the factory resonator.

The end result (dont ask for sound clips because Im honestly too lazy to take videos) is a VERY quiet exhaust system. Lets put this in context. Its louder than stock, but not much. You can definitely hear it when your foot is on the gas and you are accellerating but its not bad AT ALL. I would be surprised if anyones wives or girlfriends complained. At 60mph (on 37" tires and 4:88 gears) it doesnt drone at all. At 70mph you can hear the exhaust, but the wind noise from my light bar and the tire noise from the toyo open country's FAR exceeds the noise of the exhaust. At 80mph ~3000rpm), the exhaust noise is there but everything else is noisier. At 85mph it quiets down to a nearly imperceptable hum again.

Basically I think the longer oval muffler solved the problem many here are looking for. Unfortunately its not a kit, but the result is a clean looking full stainless system that cost me less than $300 installed. (actually $307 with tax).

Pics below:

I love custom work. Nice job.

Sent via carrier pigeon
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    commando Green
    RK 3.5 X Factor
    Loaded PR44 front with ARB locker
    37" NITTO Trail Grapplers
    PSC Brawler F/R

Also I have the dynomax exhaust you stated and barley hear it at red lights. I does a nice semi loud growl when start up but my neighbors don't get disturbed by it and get semi loud when you first start Rollin but fades to nice low hum when you get up to speeds

Sent via carrier pigeon
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    commando Green
    RK 3.5 X Factor
    Loaded PR44 front with ARB locker
    37" NITTO Trail Grapplers
    PSC Brawler F/R

Custom work is great as I could never do any of that. Being said, I'd find a skid for that if you plan to wheel. Seems to be in an open area subject to rocks and things and hangs down below your frame rails.

Just wouldn't want you to smash that thing up your first trip out.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    Custom work is great as I could never do any of that. Being said, I'd find a skid for that if you plan to wheel. Seems to be in an open area subject to rocks and things and hangs down below your frame rails.

Just wouldn't want you to smash that thing up your first trip out.
    A skid for what? It's a muffler it can get dented in. Look at mine sometime.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    A skid for what? It's a muffler it can get dented in. Look at mine sometime.
    True, but seems like the EVO comp exhaust is tucked up a bit more and the muffler is much smaller. But I get what you're saying as well.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm90 View Post
    Also I have the dynomax exhaust you stated and barley hear it at red lights. I does a nice semi loud growl when start up but my neighbors don't get disturbed by it and get semi loud when you first start Rollin but fades to nice low hum when you get up to speeds

Sent via carrier pigeon
    I have a Dynomax in the same location as the OP put his. I have bashed it a number of times and the last hit that it took, it pushed it up to the frame cross member, so there is slight vibration now at certain points in the RPM range. Not terrible but its there. I also don't have carpet in my jeep, interior tub is Rhino Lined and I get extra heat in the footwell of the driver side back seat.

I plan to add some type of flexible heat shield to the bottom of the tub but will need to remove the muffler to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    True, but seems like the EVO comp exhaust is tucked up a bit more and the muffler is much smaller. But I get what you're saying as well.
    the EVO exhaust is smaller in width but has a 6" diameter I believe. This is tucked up as high as it can go and is a 5x8 oval. from a vertical diameter perspective, this muffler is actually 1" shorter in height. I am GUESSING but I feel its safe to assume that my system still protrudes less than the EVO by about a half an inch. It is literally tucked up as high as I can without causing it to rattle against the frame/tub/floorboard. The caveat to that statement is that it is a longer muffler (by 10 inches) than the unit used in the EVO system. Tradeoff for noise. Pick your poison. I am ok with a $180 muffler taking a few dings and doinks. Punch a hole and it wont kill me to buy a new one. I still feel that I found a good compromise with having the larger muffler in the back or having the noisier "other" systems where this custom system is located. I'll have to take a picture from a position where the camera is not located below the car. It does protrude the frame rails but not significantly.

From a heat standpoint. I have driven an hour at 80+ mph with the system and I dont have any heat related issues when I put my hand against the floorboard after getting to my destination. Maybe the air passing over the muffler at those speeds helps. The key is that the engine is under load the whole time at those speeds so it is also likely that the muffler gets pretty warm. I am sure it will be worse on the trails. In the case that it does become an issue, it wouldnt be hard to cut a piece of inconel heat shield from race car parts I have and secure it around the muffler. Another option is to unbolt the system and have it ceramic coated. Or.... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-721202/overview/

tons of options
    Last edited by SmokinV10; 05-01-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinV10 View Post
    the EVO exhaust is smaller in width but has a 6" diameter I believe. This is tucked up as high as it can go and is a 5x8 oval. from a vertical diameter perspective, this muffler is actually 1" shorter in height. I am GUESSING but I feel its safe to assume that my system still protrudes less than the EVO by about a half an inch. It is literally tucked up as high as I can without causing it to rattle against the frame/tub/floorboard. The caveat to that statement is that it is a longer muffler (by 10 inches) than the unit used in the EVO system. Tradeoff for noise. Pick your poison. I am ok with a $180 muffler taking a few dings and doinks. Punch a hole and it wont kill me to buy a new one. I still feel that I found a good compromise with having the larger muffler in the back or having the noisier "other" systems where this custom system is located. I'll have to take a picture from a position where the camera is not located below the car. It does protrude the frame rails but not significantly.

From a heat standpoint. I have driven an hour at 80+ mph with the system and I dont have any heat related issues when I put my hand against the floorboard after getting to my destination. Maybe the air passing over the muffler at those speeds helps. The key is that the engine is under load the whole time at those speeds so it is also likely that the muffler gets pretty warm. I am sure it will be worse on the trails. In the case that it does become an issue, it wouldnt be hard to cut a piece of inconel heat shield from race car parts I have and secure it around the muffler. Another option is to unbolt the system and have it ceramic coated. Or.... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-721202/overview/

tons of options
    got a part number or brand by chance of the muffler your installer used? Sounds smaller but maybe a little longer than my Dynomax but I would need to measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcdawg View Post
    got a part number or brand by chance of the muffler your installer used? Sounds smaller but maybe a little longer than my Dynomax but I would need to measure.
    Its a Magnaflow Muffler-PN 12286

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast