Coleman stove question

MTG

Caught the Bug
I am looking to buy a new camping stove. I was looking at this one made by Coleman.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Perfe...&qid=1399478516&sr=1-4&keywords=coleman+stove

I like the fact that it has a grill and a burner. Plus they make a griddle insert for the grill side. Anyone have experience with this one?

The other option would be a traditional two burner one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Trito...&qid=1399478418&sr=8-3&keywords=coleman+stove

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

sean112280

I have had the 2nd one you posted. Can't beat the classic stove in my opinion. I also like that it has the griddle part with it. just my :twocents:

GCM 2

I am looking to buy a new camping stove. I was looking at this one made by Coleman.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Perfe...&qid=1399478516&sr=1-4&keywords=coleman+stove

I like the fact that it has a grill and a burner. Plus they make a griddle insert for the grill side. Anyone have experience with this one?

The other option would be a traditional two burner one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Trito...&qid=1399478418&sr=8-3&keywords=coleman+stove

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I currently have option #2 in your choices. I absolutely hate the damn thing and don't even know why I hang on to it. My single biggest complaint is that it is either on.....or off. The regulator at the bottle and the adjustment knobs for the burners don't control crap! It's wide freaking open all the time, and for the record, this is stove number two. The first one I bought did the same thing, took it back to Walmart, got a like replacement and the same thing again.

That is all I have for you on this subject, I'm currently looking for something better too.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I have the Bass Pro Shops version of your #1 and it's pretty awesome. Grills like a BBQ and cooks up some mean roadside burgers. It's the best of both worlds. You can grill on one side and fry an egg on the other. My :2cents:

bbailey

Banned
The Coleman's are pretty basic when it comes to camp stoves (and the Cabelas and Bass Pro stoves are rebrands as best I can tell). Primus and Camp Chef make a bit higher end stove that you can actually cook with (as in, control heat). Quality is about the same across all the brands I've looked at (I've owned 2 Coleman's, a Bass Pro, a Cabelas, and currently have both a Camp Chef Everest and a Primus Firehole 300). It's a toss up as to whether you're going to have dents in the hood, a poorly attached hood, etc. That said, for the added cost of the Camp Chef and Primus, you do actually get the ability to control heat, which was what I was looking for and the reason I bought them. I probably use the Primus most often when I've got more than myself in the jeep to feed. If its just me, I just use my trusty Jetboil.

pastorwug

The Coleman's are pretty basic when it comes to camp stoves (and the Cabelas and Bass Pro stoves are rebrands as best I can tell). Primus and Camp Chef make a bit higher end stove that you can actually cook with (as in, control heat). Quality is about the same across all the brands I've looked at (I've owned 2 Coleman's, a Bass Pro, a Cabelas, and currently have both a Camp Chef Everest and a Primus Firehole 300). It's a toss up as to whether you're going to have dents in the hood, a poorly attached hood, etc. That said, for the added cost of the Camp Chef and Primus, you do actually get the ability to control heat, which was what I was looking for and the reason I bought them. I probably use the Primus most often when I've got more than myself in the jeep to feed. If its just me, I just use my trusty Jetboil.

I saw the Jetboil at REI yesterday - very nice but not cheap.

I had one similar to the second one. Brought my own griddle and cooked burgers at the top of Santiago peak service road. Worked well and didn't have any complaints about it! Only used it once though

Sharkey

Word Ninja
There is no "perfect" stove.

I generally agree with the comments above regarding quality and flame adjustment. Plus, call me lazy, but it's nice not to have to worry about lighters or matches. I have a 10-15 year old Coleman two burner with a piezo lighter. It boils things...that is what I use it for. Or, I use my smaller Jetboil stove to boil if I'm not making much.

If I was looking to spend a little more and get something nicer that had more cooking control, I'd get the Camp Chef Rainier Camper Grill Griddle Combo or maybe just the grill.

If I planned on cooking larger meals for multiple days, I would move up to the Camp Chef Big Gas Grill 3 burner stove and get some different attachments for the top. (Honestly, for a family camping in the same spot for multiple days, this is the way to go IMHO.)

MTG, for the kind of meals you cook, I would also stay clear of lightweight camping style cookware (pots, pans, etc.). Most of that stuff will burn food in a heartbeat.

GCM 2

I saw the Jetboil at REI yesterday - very nice but not cheap.

The Jetboil is what I take with me overseas on most of my trips. I used to take an MSR whisperlight but the Jetboil is a little easier to operate. The cost is not that much, it will last generations.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Please keep the suggestions coming. :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
There is no "perfect" stove.

I generally agree with the comments above regarding quality and flame adjustment. Plus, call me lazy, but it's nice not to have to worry about lighters or matches. I have a 10-15 year old Coleman two burner with a piezo lighter. It boils things...that is what I use it for. Or, I use my smaller Jetboil stove to boil if I'm not making much.

If I was looking to spend a little more and get something nicer that had more cooking control, I'd get the Camp Chef Rainier Camper Grill Griddle Combo or maybe just the grill.

If I planned on cooking larger meals for multiple days, I would move up to the Camp Chef Big Gas Grill 3 burner stove and get some different attachments for the top. (Honestly, for a family camping in the same spot for multiple days, this is the way to go IMHO.)

MTG, for the kind of meals you cook, I would also stay clear of lightweight camping style cookware (pots, pans, etc.). Most of that stuff will burn food in a heartbeat.

My boss gave me this one: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-9949-...qid=1399481895&sr=1-13&keywords=coleman+stove

We used it at the Las Vegas house for the last three years. I'm not interested in anything big, just something to cook when the family and I go out. But you're right in that we do like to cook good food. I like the looks of that Rainier grill. Price is pretty good too.

MTG

Caught the Bug
The "griddle" on #2 ways a stinkin' ton!
Chucked ours first day.
But otherwise a decent stove.

The Jetboil is what I take with me overseas on most of my trips. I used to take an MSR whisperlight but the Jetboil is a little easier to operate. The cost is not that much, it will last generations.

I've used Sharkey's jetboil before and they are great! Looking for something to cook a little bigger meals with...4+ people.

That said, I might pick one of these up anyway. :yup:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My boss gave me this one: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-9949-...qid=1399481895&sr=1-13&keywords=coleman+stove

We used it at the Las Vegas house for the last three years. I'm not interested in anything big, just something to cook when the family and I go out. But you're right in that we do like to cook good food. I like the looks of that Rainier grill. Price is pretty good too.

I haven't used one, but the Rainier does look good. Just know that cleaning any of those grill style burners is going to take some effort. Seriously though, get some good good cookware. I've spent countless dollars buying fancy lightweight nesting pots and pans. They are great for backpacking but they suck for making real meals on a high power stove.

Ever considered going the dutch oven route? We used them a lot in my river guide days. You can make some pretty incredible meals but you do have to deal with coals.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Good thread, I was debating on both these as well. We currently have the single burner that attaches right to the bottle. It works decent but I would like something with two cooing surfaces

pastorwug

Ever considered going the dutch oven route? We used them a lot in my river guide days. You can make some pretty incredible meals but you do have to deal with coals.

Boy that sure is true, the Dutch Oven meals we had on a Backroads bicycling trip were OTH - off the hook!

Top Bottom