Window rolled down, but won't go back up

Charlie Mike

I rolled down my driver's side rear window and now it won't roll back up. When I hit the switch to roll up the window, I hear nothing. When I hit the switch to roll down, I hear the motor engaging.

Any ideas? Motor? Regulator?

I know opening the door panel can be a pain, but if I have to replace the motor/regulator, is it a fairly straight forward for install? Or should I just take it to the dealership. I'm fairly confident in my fix-it skills. Thanks.

Cannot help I have manual windows.

I did have the same problem on my 05 Ram and it was the window regulator.

R/
Will

droflakcin

I have manual windows, but I've replaced a number of window motors on Fords, if you take the panel off, it should be pretty straight forward to get to the motor. Like stated above, check the plug first, then try smacking the motor a few times with a wrench (sounds stupid but works from time to time.) If it still wont go up, replace the window motor.

utiadam

LOSER
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399835381.104190.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399835407.925273.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399835451.273900.jpg

It's really not that bad taking the door panels off. I would definitely check the switch or plug first.

Charlie Mike

It's really not that bad taking the door panels off. I would definitely check the switch or plug first.

Thanks, utiadam. Pictures really helped me opening up the door panel.

So I concluded it was indeed a bad motor. Once I pop'd the door panel off, I unplugged the wire harness that goes direct to the regulator motor. I meter'd one lead (roll-up), and I got a solid 12 volts. Meter'd the other lead (roll-down), and also got a solid 12 volts. And through the Process of Elimination determined it was indeed a bad motor. Which I'm actually quite relieved about because it's only 3 screws, pop the bad one out, and pop the new one in. Very very easy! :thumb:

utiadam

LOSER
Thanks, utiadam. Pictures really helped me opening up the door panel.

So I concluded it was indeed a bad motor. Once I pop'd the door panel off, I unplugged the wire harness that goes direct to the regulator motor. I meter'd one lead (roll-up), and I got a solid 12 volts. Meter'd the other lead (roll-down), and also got a solid 12 volts. And through the Process of Elimination determined it was indeed a bad motor. Which I'm actually quite relieved about because it's only 3 screws, pop the bad one out, and pop the new one in. Very very easy! :thumb:

Cool! Glad the pictures helped. I noticed after I posted the pictures I had the screws on the silver handle trim out which are fake screws. They don't have to come out but I guess you figured that out.

Charlie Mike

So the same problem reemerged on the same window! :doh:
Window rolled down but won't come back up. Meter'd the leads to the motor and I'm getting 12v rolling down, but not rolling up. Same issue using both the front and rear window switches. This leads me to believe that it is not the motor this time. For some reason the leads are not switching polarity.
Any ideas?

pvanweelden

If you know what motor wire should be getting 12 volts to roll the window up, try taking a wire straight off the battery + and applying it to the motor, to rule out another motor failure

Augichef

I had this happen to me as well.. It was my switch.. In order to get the window up I crossed the wires from the switch.. Then I order a new switch and redid the correct wire connection and the rest is history.. I only crossed the wire to roll up the window..
Good luck
Augi

2010 Silver jku
"Islander"

jeeeep

Hooked
may be your TIPM, my rear doors failed then worked then failed...no fuses blown but the TIPM is bad and the relays for the doors on the most bottom layer not replaceable

Check all your fuses just incase but after that it may be your TIPM.

Do a search for JK TIPM and you should find an image that defines what each relay and fuse is for

hydrohut

The fault your getting is almost always a switch problem. Unless the doors have been underwater the motors would seldom give trouble in my experience. Not sure about the JK but often the switches can be carefully taken apart and contacts cleaned.

Charlie Mike

If you know what motor wire should be getting 12 volts to roll the window up, try taking a wire straight off the battery + and applying it to the motor, to rule out another motor failure

I'll do that to be absolutely sure.

may be your TIPM, my rear doors failed then worked then failed...no fuses blown but the TIPM is bad and the relays for the doors on the most bottom layer not replaceable

Check all your fuses just incase but after that it may be your TIPM.

Do a search for JK TIPM and you should find an image that defines what each relay and fuse is for

Not familiar with the TIPM. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

The fault your getting is almost always a switch problem. Unless the doors have been underwater the motors would seldom give trouble in my experience. Not sure about the JK but often the switches can be carefully taken apart and contacts cleaned.

I get the same problem with both my front switch and rear switch. Meter the leads and I get the same thing with both the front and rear. I doubt both of the switches went bad. I mean I guess it is possible, but unlikely I would think.

Top Bottom