M.O.R.E. Skid plates

Sminkey

I have there engine/tranny skid on my JKU and it's saved both numerous times. I've had to take it off a few times to flatten it back out as I wheel hard and smashed plate into exhaust crossover. Didn't hurt exhaust at all, would just make an annoying noise from the exhaust vibrating the plate. Overall happy with it.

ghostryder

I have there engine/tranny skid on my JKU and it's saved both numerous times. I've had to take it off a few times to flatten it back out as I wheel hard and smashed plate into exhaust crossover. Didn't hurt exhaust at all, would just make an annoying noise from the exhaust vibrating the plate. Overall happy with it.

thanks i was thinking about getting one and just wanted some feedback awesome to know someone has field tested it :clap2:

If you've had to flatten it back out a few times then it really doesn't sound like it is doing it's job and the more you have to flatten it the weaker it will get.

Sminkey

If you've had to flatten it back out a few times then it really doesn't sound like it is doing it's job and the more you have to flatten it the weaker it will get.

It's done it's job well. And yes if course it's getting weaker. If you'd seen where my rig's been I think you'd have a different comment. I know there are better skids out there but for the $$ it's worth it.

It's done it's job well. And yes if course it's getting weaker. If you'd seen where my rig's been I think you'd have a different comment. I know there are better skids out there but for the $$ it's worth it.

Just sounds like a false sense of security to me if it keeps bending.

Serg5000

Forget the weight of the aftermarket stick with stock, just get a go oil skid.

Depending on his setup, he may not be able to run the factory skid.
I put a 3.5" lift on mine the drive shaft would make contact. So it had to be replaced with something different.

Serg5000

i have a 3.5 lift as well

With that much lift I bet your drive shaft hits the factory skid at full flex. Heck I bet It doesn't full flex by the time it makes contact with it.

And I do not suggest no plate. You just never know when your going to need protection. Spending some money on skid protection could mean the difference between getting off the trail or not.

Just my opinion.

ghostryder

With that much lift I bet your drive shaft hits the factory skid at full flex. Heck I bet It doesn't full flex by the time it makes contact with it.

And I do not suggest no plate. You just never know when your going to need protection. Spending some money on skid protection could mean the difference between getting off the trail or not.

Just my opinion.

i was under it checking everything out from the last ride and saw some decent dings on everything under there hence the reason i am checking out skids i really don't wanna be out on the trail and see tranny fluid pouring out from under my rig lol

ghostryder

Just my opinion.

what are you running?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would look at the protek skids. I just installed mine and they are sturdy as hell! The factory skids are plenty strong. You should only need to protect you tranny pan and oil pan.

Sent from my iPhone

awesome thanks for the info

Hey bud,

I run the Proteks and have been happy. You can check them out next time we are together. I also installed a set on "caveman's" Rig. The larger skids may seem like they protect more but the truth is they usually don't. They also fill with mud and hold heat in. You will notice, I have some "clearancing" on the gas tank skid but it's holding up well.

edit to add this good read.... http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?869-Giving-Some-Love-to-Factory-Skidplates!!&referrerid=6983

sc_rhino

I have that skid but changed my mind. I think it retails for $275 and if you want it I can ship it to you for $170. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399900106.124916.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
you would honestly suggest no skid plates?

He never said anything about "NO" skid plates - just to stick with the ones that come stock on your Jeep AND add one for your oil pan (and tranny pan if you have a 2012-up automatic) as it does not come with one from the factory. There is no need to replace what you already have with expensive aftermarket skid plates that will add weight, trap mud and make the detection of leaks harder to see/find and make maintenance harder to do as well. I have been running factory skid plates for over 7 years and while they may look a bit beat up, they are still doing their job just fine.

Top Bottom