Jeep model knowledge question?

Tigh10

New to the site, I wondering if someone can spread some light on a question I have about the different JK models available. I used to have a rubicon and I found myself pulling the suspension, putting a lift on it, swapping out the stock skids for different stuff . Kept takin stuff off to put aftermarket on. I am lookin at the new jeep wrangler 4drs and going from the sport all the way up to rubicon x I'm wondering:
Is there anything on the models above the sport, that I can't add to the sport at a later time? Or are the upgraded models just bells and whistles? Thanks for any help

Speeddmn

you can start with a sport and add anything your heart desires (bank account also). I started with a Rubicon simply because out of the box I would be happy for quite some time. Do I think I will ever get rid of the 4:1 tcase, doubytful. I have a 2" BB some toyo MT's and knock off bumpers, and so far I feel I can have fun anywhere...almost. If you want to hit the trails hard out the gate then a Rubi might be faster, but if you have time and money then a sport would be cheaper. Just my :twocents:

jeeeep

Hooked
New to the site, I wondering if someone can spread some light on a question I have about the different JK models available. I used to have a rubicon and I found myself pulling the suspension, putting a lift on it, swapping out the stock skids for different stuff . Kept takin stuff off to put aftermarket on. I am lookin at the new jeep wrangler 4drs and going from the sport all the way up to rubicon x I'm wondering:
Is there anything on the models above the sport, that I can't add to the sport at a later time? Or are the upgraded models just bells and whistles? Thanks for any help

you can add any of it a later time if you have enough cash and time. trying to think of what I've done to upgrade my 2010 Rubi - gears, suspension, 35's with wheels, drive shafts, oil pan skid, tuner, rock rails. Stock skids are really quite strong and I only covered the oil pan since it wasn't already protected. most all the changes started with wanting taller tires...
Marketing and a lot of users mass paranoia would just about make anyone believe the stock parts are made of paper and glue.

If you start with the sport, besides the items I listed I can think of
transfer case
front and rear lockers
front axle to replace the D30 - may need rear as well, I forget what the d44 sport and d44 rubi differences are if any
electronic front sway bar
possibly more skid plates
trans cooler -mine came with one, not sure if it's stock on all rubi's
axle shafts for new axles

While I am considering installing a PR44 up front, I've gotten 4 years of fun and the axle is still plenty strong, I wouldn't consider changing if I were to keep doing as I do but....I'd like 37's an LS and to take on some more challenges.

I will also say I had the dealer remove some of the non-essential to me bells and whistles - leather, Nav (had that unit in my Grand Cher and it never worked well) etc... - I took off some of the visible bling knowing that I could replace those things easily with aftermarket and for less

for my use, paying for the Rubi mechanical functions up front was worth it to me - and I can still sell what I take off because there is a market for it

Last edited:
Top Bottom