Goodyear MT Kevlar vs Goodyear DuraTrac

Ltjkwrangler

2007 JK 2dr. X, Manual Transmission, Daily Driver, LT285/70R17, 3" Zone lift. Looking for mileage, ride, noise, etc. comparison.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Without question, get the Duratracs. The MTR with Kevlar are by far the worst tire I have run to date. Difficult to balance, tracks funny due to its directional like tread design, unpredictable on the rocks and has really weak side walls. The Duratracs work great on and off road, are quiet and will last a long time.

maxcustody

Without question, get the Duratracs. The MTR with Kevlar are by far the worst tire I have run to date. Difficult to balance, tracks funny due to its directional like tread design, unpredictable on the rocks and has really weak side walls. The Duratracs work great on and off road, are quiet and will last a long time.

Guess I should have done more research.....................really weak side walls?

GR8WHITE

Well i haven't had any problems with my mtr's. I usually aired down to 13 psi and my mtrs stick like glue in almost all surfaces. I personally have no experience with the dura tracs so i cant say much on their behalf.
Good luck with your decision
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404179393.388387.jpg

Last edited:

sunnysideup

over 70,000 miles on my duratracks... they are gonna make the summer and then retire to the tire graveyard. Never had a flat. Air down nice, are real quiet, work good on ice, and did I say that the last a loooonnnggg time. I will be buying another set ...gonna squeak out a few more miles first!
:rock:

Rayz

I have the MT/R's and love them, but would like to get a set of Duratracs for the winter- best of both worlds?

warrkill

Eddie whats the tread life on the Nitto trail grapplers like compared to the Duratracs?

I have the MTR's and am very pleased with the trail performance.... Road I'd say "so-so"

There have been some issues with the sidewalls. My opinion is that it is related to the Kevlar as the "its the best tire I have ever had / they only lasted a few hundred miles" comments are common in bicycle and motorcycle tires with kevlar too. IF this is the case, it all comes to manufacturing lot. (This is just my opinion and no fact. I am basing it off my knowledge of other tire manufacturing processes I have worked with.)

My first choice was actually the MFG KM2s but after a long back order, I eventually gave up and got the MTRs. Both the MTRs and KM2s have proven to perform better on my local terrain than any of the Nitto tires. I hate that this is true, but it is. This said, they do not have the sidewall and balancing issues that the MTRs have so pick your poison.

I can vouch that the larger MTRs are a total PITA to balance. MY tires were off radially (side-to-side) so if you're thinking about beads don't bother. The best balance I have gotten came from a Road Force Balancer, but it's still not perfect.

GCM 2

I have never run the Duratracs, but I have also never read anything but great reviews of that tire on any forum. Now the MTR/K's I have run (17x40"s), and out of the 7 different brands of offroad tires that I have run on different vehicles, the MTR/K is by far the worst tire I have ever owned. Nearly impossible to balance, tracks very badly on hard surfaces, performance offroad was mediocre (I have owned A/T's that perfumed as well or better), and lastly the sidewalls were the weakest I have ever experienced.

I will add that the terrain we have in the southwest is not easy on tires (especially on sidewalls), so the environment that others are wheeling in may not be exposing the weak points of a tire.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie whats the tread life on the Nitto trail grapplers like compared to the Duratracs?

I apologize for not seeing this sooner. To answer it, you will get more life out of the Duratracs. The Trail Grapplers have a soft rubber compound and will wear out faster.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have never run the Duratracs, but I have also never read anything but great reviews of that tire on any forum. Now the MTR/K's I have run (17x40"s), and out of the 7 different brands of offroad tires that I have run on different vehicles, the MTR/K is by far the worst tire I have ever owned. Nearly impossible to balance, tracks very badly on hard surfaces, performance offroad was mediocre (I have owned A/T's that perfumed as well or better), and lastly the sidewalls were the weakest I have ever experienced.

I will add that the terrain we have in the southwest is not easy on tires (especially on sidewalls), so the environment that others are wheeling in may not be exposing the weak points of a tire.

:cheesy: "Not easy on tires"? My brand new Toyo's were trashed after just one weekend of wheeling with you in Florence Junction!!

Mitrig

Depending on where you live the duratracs do wear a little quick. Compared to the km2s I had or the sikentaromor that was on it. In the winter it was the best tire I have ever been on. In the rain it is amazing too. Only problem was once the crazy Canadian winter ended and it started getting hot our roads began chewing down m tread fast. 15000km on them and at about 50% life. During the winter I saw almost a negligible loss in tread.

Though overall I'd deal with the way out roads here eat away on them becuase they are apectacular. When I go to 35s I'm picking up another set forsure

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on where you live the duratracs do wear a little quick. Compared to the km2s I had or the sikentaromor that was on it. In the winter it was the best tire I have ever been on. In the rain it is amazing too. Only problem was once the crazy Canadian winter ended and it started getting hot our roads began chewing down m tread fast. 15000km on them and at about 50% life. During the winter I saw almost a negligible loss in tread.

Though overall I'd deal with the way out roads here eat away on them becuase they are apectacular. When I go to 35s I'm picking up another set forsure

Of all the tires I have run, KM2 last the longest - they literally wear like iron.

Of all the tires I have run, KM2 last the longest - they literally wear like iron.

I have never run them personally, but this makes since to me. I have noticed as they get old they tend to dry and crack worse than some other brands. I always thought this is due compound. I've noticed higher mileage tires tend to need replacing due to cracking before tread loss. :idontknow::thinking:

GCM 2

:cheesy: "Not easy on tires"? My brand new Toyo's were trashed after just one weekend of wheeling with you in Florence Junction!!

Well at least your tires did not have non-repairable sidewall gashes. If you remember I went through two MTR/K's that weekend :icon_crazy: I had the one with the least amount of damaged hot patched from the inside to make the drive out to Off Road Evolution to pick up my Nittos.

Again, for the record: Duratracs for the win!

Mitrig

I'm not saying they are not amazing. I had a set in my envoy and the jeep. They wear by farthe best. Only issue I feel they have is they aren't tht good when it comes to snow

Top Bottom