4" Double D JK Bolt On Long Arm

JungerJk

Hey Guys,

Seriously considering moving to the Double D Long Arm kit, but haven't been able to find any pictures of it installed (everyone posts up the DTD ;) ). I'm also considering the King 2.5 w/Reservoir for the 37" Tire Package. Do you happen to have any shop installs or pictures with this setup?

Thanks,
Jason

DJCFHB

Her is my rig 4" double d long arm with bilstiens. Love the ride did install myself. Wasn't bad at all, a plasma cutter is a life saver.

Last edited:

JungerJk

Thanks. May have to hit you up to see what you ran into during the install. Will likely do myself as well.

Angry Aussie

I have the double d lift kit on bilsteins and love it. I'd go though all of your parts before you start and make sure you have all the right brackets and everything. When I got my kit it was missing a couple of things and had the wrong bracket for the rear but evo sent out everything I needed the next day.

I didn't do the install myself but do have a few pictures from the install but doubt they would be any help to you.

It's an amazing kit, I love mine!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Guys,

Seriously considering moving to the Double D Long Arm kit, but haven't been able to find any pictures of it installed (everyone posts up the DTD ;) ). I'm also considering the King 2.5 w/Reservoir for the 37" Tire Package. Do you happen to have any shop installs or pictures with this setup?

Thanks,
Jason

We have a ton of install pics. Let me see what we can do about getting them posted up.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
We have a ton of install pics. Let me see what we can do about getting them posted up.

Looking to possibly moving on to this same setup as well.........the Full Traction 4" SRS Long Arm is another i've been interested in as well.......Both are comparably priced.......leaning towards the EVO kit.........your thoughts on both kits

~Woodrow~

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Looking to possibly moving on to this same setup as well.........the Full Traction 4" SRS Long Arm is another i've been interested in as well.......Both are comparably priced.......leaning towards the EVO kit.........your thoughts on both kits

~Woodrow~

Full traction is bolt on so you can do it yourself. You'll need someone to install the EVO for you. Both are great kits.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

~Woodrow~

Well, you're in luck, I've run both kits and can tell you that both are a great choice.

If there is a down side to the FT kit, it's the cross member that they use - it hangs down quite a bit. The upside to it is that it is beefy as hell and makes a great replacement to your beat up factory one and you can feel confident that it will take a beating and then some. The other thing to take into consideration is that the FT kit is that it uses Clevite bonded rubber bushings on the frame side joints. The upside to this is that they are essentially maintenance free (wont squeak and requires no greasing) and will do a better job at absorbing road noise. The down side is that if you run coil overs, you will blow them out sooner than later.

If you go with the EVO DoubleD kit, I would recommend that you pick up a HD aftermarket cross member to have installed at the same time. This kit will use Johnny Joints that will offer outstanding bind free flex even with coil overs and they'll last a long time but, you will want to grease them as a part of routine maintenance. Depending on who you talk to, Johnny Joints will not absorb road noise as well as bonded rubber but, I tend to disagree being that the JK comes with true body mounts that are isolators and do a great job. Another benefit of the DoubleD kit is that it comes with high clearance front mounts that install above the frame rails and, if you ever upgrade to an EVO Lever system, EVO will hook you up with high clearance brackets as well.

BTW, I just posted detailed step by step install pics here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?17760-EVO-MFG-DoubleD-Long-Arm-Installation-Photos

:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Full traction is bolt on so you can do it yourself. You'll need someone to install the EVO for you. Both are great kits.

Actually, the Double D kit is a bolt on kit too. As you will see in the install thread that I just posted up, Off Road Evolution did the whole install with bolts. They just prefer to weld the kit on at the shop. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Actually, the Double D kit is a bolt on kit too. As you will see in the install thread that I just posted up, Off Road Evolution did the whole install with bolts. They just prefer to weld the kit on at the shop. :yup:

I was thinking the high clearance which is weld on correct?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking the high clearance which is weld on correct?

Yes, the high clearance brackets need to be welded on and most people who get the EVO long arm kit go this route. However, the standard Double D kit is made with different rear frame brackets and they are bolt on. Not too many people go this route but, if you look on the thread that I posted up here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?17760-EVO-MFG-DoubleD-Long-Arm-Installation-Photos

You will see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I could see where the confusion might come from being that most people do the high clearance brackets and have a shop like ORE do the install - which would almost always be a weld in install.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yes, the high clearance brackets need to be welded on and most people who get the EVO long arm kit go this route. However, the standard Double D kit is made with different rear frame brackets and they are bolt on. Not too many people go this route but, if you look on the thread that I posted up here:

You will see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I could see where the confusion might come from being that most people do the high clearance brackets and have a shop like ORE do the install - which would almost always be a weld in install.

Cool. Just saw your thread. I don't think I know anyone with the standard double d which is why I was thinking it was weld on.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Thank you for sharing your experience with these kits and the link to the install Eddy....much appreciated sir

~Woodrow~

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious, what kind of suspension travel does the Evo DD get?

It get the same as any other suspension kit running the same length shocks. Contrary to what some manufacturers will try to sell you on, a long arm kit will NOT improve the amount of flex that you have, it'll only help to correct your geometry. This will help improve your ON PAVEMENT ride and allow your axle to articulate more cleanly like stock - not too much swipe. Being that the DD kit comes with Johnny Joints on both ends of the arms (as opposed to just one side like many kits are setup), your flex will be bind free. Does this make sense?

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Makes sense. Just wondering in practice how much travel people are getting with the +4" coil/typical shock setup.

Top Bottom