Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PSC Ram assist 2014 JKU

Quote Originally Posted by GCM 2 View Post
    ....and once again, my 2009 "classic iron" has a benefit over these high-brow, fancy, smancy 3.6L pentastar Jeeps

I am on my third power steering pump over the course of 4 1/2 years on my build. The first one lasted halfway back home (200 miles??) from Off Road Evolution, on the day I picked up my jeep after its was complete. PSC sent one out the next day and I swapped it out at home. This second one lasted three years.....at least up until we did the Florence Junction run in May 2012, that Moby, Powerline Patrol and EVO1 took part in. This power steering pump (#2) burned up in the 100 plus degree temps that weekend (so did EVO1's), but would only 'fade out' when it got really hot. In fact that run was in early May and I parked the jeep until September, then did the 2012 JK Experience and finally had to change out pump #2 in the parking lot of the hotel in Silver Lake Michgan. Once again PSC overnighted a new pump (#3) to me. Now this third power steering pump is not a remanufactered one like the other two, this third pump is PSC's on version, it looks more like a billet milled/machined pump rather than a cast model like the others. September will be two years on this pump (#3) and so far no issues.

I do run the reservoir, it sits in front of my LS7 SBC (pay no attention to the 3.8L stickers on intake

While I do love the extra power of the 3.6L motor, I will have to say that we have had our fair share of problems with it. First the head issue which sucked and now this oil burning issue. Guess that's what you get with a first gen high-brow, fancy, smancy Pentastar motor

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post

While I do love the extra power of the 3.6L motor, I will have to say that we have had our fair share of problems with it. First the head issue which sucked and now this oil burning issue. Guess that's what you get with a first gen high-brow, fancy, smancy Pentastar motor
    I need to lay low on the cheap shots and touting my "Classic Iron" for the second time in a week......I feel karma giving me the stink eye
    2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
    EVO Long Arm w/Envy Links
    EVO Front Double Throw Down
    EVO Lever Rear w/Double Throw Down
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's f/r
    PSC hydraulic ram assist
    Mastercraft Baja RS seats
    J.E. Reel 1350 drive shafts
    ATX Slab wheels
    40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Quote Originally Posted by ridg3runner View Post
    What kind of issues? What should those of us running CAI expect to see go wrong?
    Fully stretched out timing chain on Evolander.
    High oil consumption on Rubicat.
    Extremely high consumption on mine. Like a quart every 100 miles, new engine high.
    Last edited by ttfhell; 05-21-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ttfhell View Post
    ......Extremely high consumption on mine. Like a quart every 100 miles, new engine high.
    Ugh Bro, that sucks!
    2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
    EVO Long Arm w/Envy Links
    EVO Front Double Throw Down
    EVO Lever Rear w/Double Throw Down
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's f/r
    PSC hydraulic ram assist
    Mastercraft Baja RS seats
    J.E. Reel 1350 drive shafts
    ATX Slab wheels
    40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Quote Originally Posted by GCM 2 View Post
    Ugh Bro, that sucks!
    Dealer installed Mopar intake. Chrysler wouldn't warranty at 18,000 miles. Put my DTD purchase way back.

Fully stretched out timing chain on Evolander.
    High oil consumption on Rubicat.
    Extremely high consumption on mine. Like a quart every 100 miles, new engine high.
    You forgot Chris. He ended up needing to get a new motor as well.

EDIT: Actually, he was still running a factory air box. I think his General Lee imitation may have had something to do with his problem

Dealer installed Mopar intake. Chrysler wouldn't warranty at 18,000 miles. Put my DTD purchase way back.
    Totally sucks. If my consumption problem stays where it's at, I can deal with it but, if it gets any worse, I may be in the market for a new motor too.

The Original Smartass piginajeep's Avatar

EDIT: Actually, he was still running a factory air box. I think his General Lee imitation may have had something to do with his problem
    Yup, it burned 4 qts in about 300 miles. The main bearings were oblong, internals were covered in metal shavings.
    2012 JK8
    1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)
    1953 M38A1

I actually had typed him on the list but wasn't sure on the airbox and removed him before I posted. Want to keep it real lol

I have a hard time believing that the rings and cylinder sleeves where destroyed SO badly with dirt that STILL went through an air filter that you literally honed the short block to a point where it burns more oil than a 2 stroke. Is it possible that our 3.6L engines just stink when under load? Stretched timing chains and oblong main shaft sounds more like wear you get from heavy loads. Some of the rigs running 37, 38, & 40" wheels with extreme gearing run at high RPM's and have loads that simulate a perpetual trailer attached to the hitch of our rigs. Think its possible that Chrysler just didnt design the Pentastars to function over extended perioids under heavy load and medium RPM's?

Regardless, Im not messing with my airbox now. Need to figure out some fancy smanshy way of mounting the a reservoir in a unique spot that all the guys with unlimited budget rigs havent figured out already.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast