PSC Ram assist 2014 JKU

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
trying to decide what system is best for a jeep that is not a dedicated trail rig. I keep on reading PSC's "disclaimers" on their product descriptions. Figured it's probably best to add one of these in while the jeep is at ORE on a few weeks. Any guidance?

GCM 2

With the level build you are planning, you cannot do without ram assist....well at least not for long before you burn your stock power steering pump. You will probably need to think about an aftermarket cooler for the ram assist also.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Seems like many have had a ton of problems with their PSC systems and there seem to be a million configurations. There is another thread on a Howe system but it doesn't appear that anyone knows anything about them. Seems to be an area where there is a missing product?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Seems like many have had a ton of problems with their PSC systems and there seem to be a million configurations. There is another thread on a Howe system but it doesn't appear that anyone knows anything about them. Seems to be an area where there is a missing product?

What types of problems and who?

I've had my PSC system for 2yrs, 2 totally different axles, and 3 different wheel/tire configurations and have had no issues. I don't recall anyone else having issues except maybe it being a bit too responsive but if you speak to PSC about it they will send you a different valve for the pump

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I've had my PSC system for 2yrs, 2 totally different axles, and 3 different wheel/tire configurations and have had no issues. I don't recall anyone else having issues. If you want to know about Howes, just say so instead of tossing out unsupported allegations towards PSC.

Geez. Touchy. No one is looking disparage PSC. I fact, I'm looking to buy a system. I read a thread from this very forum alleging shredded belts and other issues. Maybe that's old news and maybe it's more isolated than my impressions. Just trying to connect the dots about a system I didn't consider adding to my build until now. The whole reason I'm asking is I don't know WTF system to go with. No nefarious intentions here. I'll just call ORE when I have 10 min.

For reference:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?11585-2012-Up-Jeep-JK-PSC-Steering-Pump-Bracket-Update

Last edited:

ttfhell

I'm on my third pump in two months from PSC. Haven't wheeled with the new one yet. Take that for what it's worth. Great warranty lol. Rather not use the warranty though.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm on my third pump in two months from PSC. Haven't wheeled with the new one yet. Take that for what it's worth. Great warranty lol. Rather not use the warranty though.

You don't have the reservoir though right? That's why I didn't mention you since yours isn't the complete kit. Lol

Geez. Touchy. No one is looking disparage PSC. I fact, I'm looking to buy a system. I read a thread from this very forum alleging shredded belts and other issues. Maybe that's old news and maybe it's more isolated than my impressions. Just trying to connect the dots about a system I didn't consider adding to my build until now. The whole reason I'm asking is I don't know WTF system to go with. No nefarious intentions here. I'll just call ORE when I have 10 min.

A little touchy, yeah just barely got my coffee this morning, sorry if I came off that way. Only things I've heard of so far is they can be a bit too responsive, but PSC will send you a different valve for the pump to slow it down a bit, but the belt shredding could happen with any of them as the pulley is pressed onto the pump shaft and my not be perfectly aligned from the factory. Mine was off just a little when I got it but I simply realigned it with the other pulleys and hasn't been an issue since. PSC may be on the pricey side but there are ways to keep the cost down such as sending them your current box and pump to be modified rather than buying theirs but I have heard (not sure how true) that their boxes have a stronger sector shaft than stock which is always a plus.

ttfhell

You don't have the reservoir though right? That's why I didn't mention you since yours isn't the complete kit. Lol

Nope but I have the cooler that holds another 10-12 oz. or something like that. To use the reservoir you have to get rid of the stock air box...that's not happening anytime soon lol.

Nope but I have the cooler that holds another 10-12 oz. or something like that. To use the reservoir you have to get rid of the stock air box...that's not happening anytime soon lol.

You can't mount it off the engine-side of the battery box like we can on the '07s?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can't mount it off the engine-side of the battery box like we can on the '07s?

Unfortunately, no. There's just no room in an 2012-up. If there were, I would have done it. Sucks too because I really wanted to go back to a factory air box but just can't figure out how best to do it. After hearing about the problems Russ has been having, I'm reluctant to try the cooler route. Since running a PSC reservoir, I have not had any problems with it.

Unfortunately, no. There's just no room in an 2012-up. If there were, I would have done it. Sucks too because I really wanted to go back to a factory air box but just can't figure out how best to do it. After hearing about the problems Russ has been having, I'm reluctant to try the cooler route. Since running a PSC reservoir, I have not had any problems with it.

All the different brands would have that same issue then, correct?

DirtyJeeP

C'mon. Put the CAI back on. It's not like it can hurt anything. JK. LoL. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
C'mon. Put the CAI back on. It's not like it can hurt anything. JK. LoL. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Maybe a stupid question, but this is the first that I heard a CAI can actually cause damage (except for hydro compression).

GCM 2

.......There's just no room in an 2012-up......

....and once again, my 2009 "classic iron" has a benefit over these high-brow, fancy, smancy 3.6L pentastar Jeeps ;)

I am on my third power steering pump over the course of 4 1/2 years on my build. The first one lasted halfway back home (200 miles??) from Off Road Evolution, on the day I picked up my jeep after its was complete. PSC sent one out the next day and I swapped it out at home. This second one lasted three years.....at least up until we did the Florence Junction run in May 2012, that Moby, Powerline Patrol and EVO1 took part in. This power steering pump (#2) burned up in the 100 plus degree temps that weekend (so did EVO1's), but would only 'fade out' when it got really hot. In fact that run was in early May and I parked the jeep until September, then did the 2012 JK Experience and finally had to change out pump #2 in the parking lot of the hotel in Silver Lake Michgan. Once again PSC overnighted a new pump (#3) to me. Now this third power steering pump is not a remanufactered one like the other two, this third pump is PSC's own version, it looks more like a billet milled/machined pump rather than a cast model like the others. September will be two years on this pump (#3) and so far no issues.

I do run the reservoir, it sits in front of my LS7 SBC (pay no attention to the 3.8L stickers on intake)

image-2719998859.jpg

.....and here is the Derale 'heat sink' style single pass power steering fluid cooler (aluminum finned tube below transmission cooler)

image-1614108678.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Moochie can tell you all about burning oil in a 3.8L. Running a CAI on a 3.6L can jack things up and cause burning too. That's what happened to us. If you can, stick with the factory air box.

Top Bottom