bilstein vs fox shocks?

Otzy

Hey guys,

wondering what your opinions are on shocks. it seems that bilsteins are the most commonly used shocks around here, and they come at a great price. However i was wondering how they compare to fox shocks that are around the same price like the 2.0 evolution (92 bucks/shock) or the smooth body IFP (120/shock). Im asking because from my other hobbies (i mountain bike a lot) fox is pretty much top of the line, is there a difference in how they feel or how they perform? whats your $.02?

thanks
Otzy

Hack12

I run the Bilstein 5100's and have no complaints. Like you, I have also heard that Fox makes some of the best shocks on the market, just can't vouch for that personally. The one thing that I have read quite a bit about on here from some of the more experienced members is that the Bilsteins tend to give a little bit stiffer of a ride. I enjoy them but I could see why that may scare some people away from buying them.

I truly don't think you'd be too disappointed either way. :yup:

Last edited:

JKbrick

I run the Fox smooth body ifp shock, they are nice and a smooth ride for my taste, never tried my bilstiens, just sent them to Brankz today for his jeep

xkid

Fox 2.0 here. It's nice on smooth pavement. Little ruff on bumps. Could be R.E. springs.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Beyrgut

I have the Fox 2.0 with remote reservoir and like them for the most part, the remote reservoir is overkill for FL. I mtb as well but looking to go to a CCDB Air instead of the Fox RP23, still undecided on replacing the forks.

Otzy

Ah okay thanks for the input guys,

so what you'd say is that fox is softer on the road whereas bilsteins are stiffer? so bilsteins would probably be slightly better for crawling and whatnot but not as good for on road handling?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Ah okay thanks for the input guys,

so what you'd say is that fox is softer on the road whereas bilsteins are stiffer? so bilsteins would probably be slightly better for crawling and whatnot but not as good for on road handling?

Hard to say. I personally run the Fox IFP 2.0 and I can say that they certainly help soak up the big bumps well. I have a buddy here that has a JKU with the Bilsteins, and in my opinion it rides stiff. I said 'hard to say' because we are running different suspension setups, so the springs have a lot to do with the feel as well (I'm running JKS, He's running TF). In my opinion, you cant go wrong with Fox. I would consider Fox second only to King.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
its hard for me to comment since i have never run the fox shocks but i really like my bilstein 5100. IMO they are not stiff like others say, if anything they are soft and help smooth out the ride that i get from my stiff teraflex coils.

as Eddie (wayalife) always says ride is 100% subjective and every lift will be different in everyones own eyes.

Nhfd01

So I am also shopping for shocks, anyone running the adjustable rancho 9000xl shocks or have heard any feedback?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
IMO, most name brand shocks are gonna be comparable, but others may disagree. I'm planning on ordering a set of Rancho RS7000MT within the next couple of weeks because my RC shocks suck and the Ranchos also have a rebate to take advantage of right now.

noroad

IMO, most name brand shocks are gonna be comparable, but others may disagree. I'm planning on ordering a set of Rancho RS7000MT within the next couple of weeks because my RC shocks suck and the Ranchos also have a rebate to take advantage of right now.

:thinking::thinking::thinking: Comparable but yours suck?? I have to disagree shocks are different and you most often get what you pay for! ride is subjective and only each person can pick the right one for them! Drive someones rig and see if you like it best thing i can tell ya!

Rideski

IMHO some of the the threads I have read on the Bilsteins being stiff it could be because those folks had the air pressure too high on their tires. I have the Bilstein's and LOVE the ride. I'm running 35's and the sweet spot for the air pressure seems to be 28lbs. If I run 30 or over it's fairly rough but that's not a fault of the shock necessarily. My 2 cents.

I have not tried the Fox shoxs but would like too as I am also a mountain biker (as is th OP) and Fox rules the roost in MTB land.

Otzy

Ah thanks for all the inputs

seems like i can't go wrong either way

but I'm gonna try and find similar rides with both companies to compare for myself.

It seems like most people have only had one or the other and are happy, does anyone whose used both fox and bilsteins have a preference?

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I do know that our RS7000Mt monoutbe is not as highly charged as other monotubes mentioned here.
That in turn means that they won't be as firm or "rough" some would say. I run our monotube on a DD that drives FAR and on 38.5" tires.
I have ran our adjustable 9000's in the past and love the adjustability of them.

MTSeries_Third_ORA_AW0067_proof_zps6fa40663.jpg

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I think there is a guy on other forums who has run both.. and went with Rancho's, just sayin. :)

:beer:

Ah thanks for all the inputs

seems like i can't go wrong either way

but I'm gonna try and find similar rides with both companies to compare for myself.

It seems like most people have only had one or the other and are happy, does anyone whose used both fox and bilsteins have a preference?

seanb123

IMHO some of the the threads I have read on the Bilsteins being stiff it could be because those folks had the air pressure too high on their tires. I have the Bilstein's and LOVE the ride. I'm running 35's and the sweet spot for the air pressure seems to be 28lbs. If I run 30 or over it's fairly rough but that's not a fault of the shock necessarily. My 2 cents.

I have not tried the Fox shoxs but would like too as I am also a mountain biker (as is th OP) and Fox rules the roost in MTB land.

Finding the sweet spot for psi is nice unfortunately that changes tire to tire. But with around 25psi my ride with bilsteins is nice but without trying any other shocks that's very subjective

Halas

I do know that our RS7000Mt monoutbe is not as highly charged as other monotubes mentioned here.
That in turn means that they won't be as firm or "rough" some would say. I run our monotube on a DD that drives FAR and on 38.5" tires.
I have ran our adjustable 9000's in the past and love the adjustability of them.

MTSeries_Third_ORA_AW0067_proof_zps6fa40663.jpg

I just got the 7000's and love them.

Have bilstien on my wife's and like them as well but I could not pass up the current rancho pricing with rebates.

Besides the fact the I like the body on the bottom on the rear shocks.

Some of the bilstien shock boots look like big saggy diapers.

Top Bottom