Replacing the steering gear box?

Halas

Does anyone know where to find a steering gear box install write up?

I have been looking everywhere but have had no luck in finding one.

Thanks!

Rottenbelly

First strap the steering wheel so it wont turn and mess up the clockspring.

Then unbolt the steering linkage at the back of box.

Remove coolant overflow bottle and get it out the way.
Then unhook the 2 hoses on top. Be ready to clean up a mess.
Unhook the draglink.
Then your ready to unbolt the box from the frame. Theres 4 bolts and you may have to jack it up and take a little pressure of the spring to get in there.

Swap pitman arm to new box and reinstall and bleed the system.
My photo buckets acting up so thats the only pics I can get loaded.
Kinda a quick overview anyways.

Halas

Thank you, I started removing the coolant overflow bottle and yes it was a mess.

Question on the steering wheel, my wife broke off the bottom of the steering box and the jeep was towed home so I have no idea if it was turned (I am sure it was) and how many times so how do I set it?

txjeeplover

Thank you, I started removing the coolant overflow bottle and yes it was a mess.

Question on the steering wheel, my wife broke off the bottom of the steering box and the jeep was towed home so I have no idea if it was turned (I am sure it was) and how many times so how do I set it?

The standard procedure is for an installer to conduct the re-centering process for the steering gear before installation. So you should do that and make sure that the front wheels and the steering wheel are straight before installation. Since you suspect that the steering wheel isn't truly straight, you should remove your clockspring and re-center it too before bleeding the gear and certainly before driving the Jeep. During an installation, I once made the mistake of allowing the steering wheel to rotate 180 degrees while disconnected from the gear. The steering wheel was technically straight, but the clockspring was not centered, so the ESP MIL illuminated. After removing the steering wheel and re-centering the clockspring, the ESP MIL went out and normal function returned. TIP:

Re-Centering Procedure:
The process involves placing a vise grip or other locking tool on the input shaft of the gear and turning it all the way to one side, then turning it in the opposite direction while counting the number of revolutions. Divide the number of revolutions by 2, and turn the gear that number of revolutions in the opposite direction. This process is the same for the clockspring, but you will the tip that extends into the steering wheel, not any outside tool.

Halas

Ok, so I need something that will spin the center of the clock once I remove it or can I use the steering wheel itself to count the rotations without uninstalling it?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Do you have an AEV procal? If so it has a procedure using the clock spring to center your steering wheel. Very easy to do.

Halas

Do you have an AEV procal? If so it has a procedure using the clock spring to center your steering wheel. Very easy to do.

It uses the clock spring to center the steering wheel "if" the clock spring is lined up with the gear box.

So that does not work.

Went to my collision shop and asked them on the counting rotations is the way to go.

Very lightly spin the steering wheel one direction until it stops.
Then count the rotations in the other direction until it stops.
Divide by 2 and then go back by that number and you found the center.
You have to do it light and when you tie down the wheel leave a little play because the gear box will be at center if you bought a rebuild or new one so you can align off the gear box.

I think I am spot on but will confirm in the morning when I finish. Everything lined up perfect with the steering links when I installed the steering links.

And for reference on the 2009 the wheel turned 3 times so it was 1.5 rotations back to center.

Top Bottom