Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Jeep Tires for Winter and Snow

Been Around the Block jtpedersen's Avatar

Current Thinking: Best Snow Tire (best grip) for Stock '15 JKUL-R?

Howdy Folks,

Searching Wayalife, I found there've been a few discussions about snow tires over the years. Discounting Rubicat's new shoes and one or two other threads, most seem a bit dated.

Last year, I found the Winter experience with the stock M/Ts on my '15 Rubicon to be lacking. Anything between Dry and 4" snow, sucks. My wife's Jetta with All-Season Michelins is a far superior ugly-weather commuter vehicle as regards traction. A highway closure with multiple fatalities, not far from home today, reminded me how bad those big tread blocks are.

Researching a good tire for Winter use: What is the current thinking? In SE Michigan, Winter driving here ranges from enough to glaze the roads (fairly frequent snow dustings), to 3-4" snow falls resulting in hardpack for awhile.

I've had numerous sets of BFG T/As...great tire. The Cooper STT Pros are of interest, but seem hard to source locally. I'm just starting research, but haven't found a literal 'snow' tire in the Rubi's stock size.

Thoughts?

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by jtpedersen View Post
    Howdy Folks,

Searching Wayalife, I found there've been a few discussions about snow tires over the years. Discounting Rubicat's new shoes and one or two other threads, most seem a bit dated.

Last year, I found the Winter experience with the stock M/Ts on my '15 Rubicon to be lacking. Anything between Dry and 4" snow, sucks. My wife's Jetta with All-Season Michelins is a far superior ugly-weather commuter vehicle as regards traction. A highway closure with multiple fatalities, not far from home today, reminded me how bad those big tread blocks are.

Researching a good tire for Winter use: What is the current thinking? In SE Michigan, Winter driving here ranges from enough to glaze the roads (fairly frequent snow dustings), to 3-4" snow falls resulting in hardpack for awhile.

I've had numerous sets of BFG T/As...great tire. The Cooper STT Pros are of interest, but seem hard to source locally. I'm just starting research, but haven't found a literal 'snow' tire in the Rubi's stock size.

Thoughts?
    If you're looking for a dual purpose tire, without a doubt Goodyear Duratracs.
    Arguably one of the best snow tires, even when compared with actual branded snow tires.
    They work good off road as well.
    Last edited by JKDream; 12-08-2016 at 09:11 PM.

If you're looking for tires that do well in snow/ice, I'd have to agree with the Duratracs recommendation. The tires we have on Rubicat are mud terrains and of all the mud terrains we've run, they have performed the best - but again, that's for "mud terrain" tires.

I run KO2s and you'll get lots of guys on here that love them. I live in Denver and my wife commutes 45 min to work early in the morning on them all through the winter.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
    http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    If you're looking for tires that do well in snow/ice, I'd have to agree with the Duratracs recommendation. The tires we have on Rubicat are mud terrains and of all the mud terrains we've run, they have performed the best - but again, that's for "mud terrain" tires.
    We have quite a few people up here (Canada) who have been buying these up like crazy.
    General consensus seems really good. I imagine the siping that Cooper put into the lugs helps.
    I find that typically MTR's don't fair too well in the light snow/slush, but in deeper pockets tend to dig and hookup quite well.
    How have yours been in the slush/ice?
    Last edited by JKDream; 12-08-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKDream View Post
    We have quite a few people up here (Canada) who have been buying these up like crazy.
    General consensus seems really good. I imagine the siping that Cooper put into the lugs helps.
    I find that typically MTR's don't fair too well in the light snow/slush, but in deeper pockets tend to dig and hookup quite well.
    How have yours been in the slush/ice?
    Agreed with the MT/R's not doing too well in light snow/slush. But then, of all the mud terrains I've run, MT/R's are my least favorite. Couldn't balance them worth anything, had weak sidewalls, were unpredictable on the rocks and tracked funny on the highway. As far as the Cooper STT Pros go, I have found them to do exceptionally well in just about every snow condition and icy condition I've come across so far. Way better than Nittos, Toyos, BFG or even the old style STT. But again, this is just comparing mud terrains. Something like a Duratrac will still do better.

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Agreed with the MT/R's not doing too well in light snow/slush. But then, of all the mud terrains I've run, MT/R's are my least favorite. Couldn't balance them worth anything, had weak sidewalls, were unpredictable on the rocks and tracked funny on the highway. As far as the Cooper STT Pros go, I have found them to do exceptionally well in just about every snow condition and icy condition I've come across so far. Way better than Nittos, Toyos, BFG or even the old style STT. But again, this is just comparing mud terrains. Something like a Duratrac will still do better.
    Sorry I meant to say MTs in general not just Goodyears, I just happen to be running them. Was looking at a set of Coopers next as my MTRs are exactly as described above. Good to hear they are capable in snow, reinforces my decision of grabbing them next

Quote Originally Posted by JKDream View Post
    Sorry I meant to say MTs in general not just Goodyears, I just happen to be running them. Was looking at a set of Coopers next as my MTRs are exactly as described above. Good to hear they are capable in snow, reinforces my decision of grabbing them next
    LOL!! Got it.

I've been running the duratracs on 2 vehicles now for a while, now granted I live in a place that snow doesn't stand a chance... However anytime I have gone to play in the white stuff up north it didn't matter if it was ice or (x) inches of white fluff, the duratracs have preformed very well. If I did live in a place where snow happened more... All of my vehicles would have them. That being said there are some issues with the tire, such as I've had 2 replaced because the sidewall is not super thick and a well placed sharp rock, stick or curb will leave a nice gash. Other than that I love them they aren't supper noisy and they preform well dry, In the rain or in the snow.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Duratracs or KO2 are the "go-to" tires here. laws state that we need the snowflake rating and these 2 are THE recomended tires when it comes to having a good winter tire + a tire that kills it in the trail.

serously, EVERYONE here runs one of the 2 or both.

i personally went with duratracs for the more agressive look. I heard they were a little better than the KO2s when it comes to ice (word of mouth, not a reliable source)
    KO2s have a "more durable" sidewall.

Duratracs havent left me stuck ANYWHERE in the trails. I was surpsied to see similar or badder set ups get stuck with different tires where I had no problem going... might be a difference in the line I chose also...

weighing both the duratracs and KO2s theyre so similar in rating that you'll be satisfied with either of them. If price is a factor for you more than looks, the KO2s are usually a little cheaper.

Having the duratracs, im going to get some KO2s within the next year, not to compare, just to have 2 sets of tires to rotate between summer/winter.
    Last edited by christov11; 12-09-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast