Do I really need to upgrade to pro rock?

Jk958

Hey there every one!
I'm debating how much do I need a set of pro rock axles front and rear for the wheeling I do. I'm currently using this time of year to start upgrading my jk for the offroad season. More or less like slow cooking lol. A 2 door 6.4 hemi sport wrangler with the stock D30 front D44 rear. Most of my wheeling is sand dunes desert bashing , and I'm thinking a pr rock44 front Pro rock 60 rear. For those out there who run pro rocks ! Is it overkill ? What is the power loss? Mpg ? Ohh and one more question. Do pro rocks use bigger brakes or the factory brakes bolt on right on them ?
Help me decide !

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
with the hemi i would say you need a pro rock f/r. as to what ones you should get i cant help you there.

David1tontj

Hey there every one!
I'm debating how much do I need a set of pro rock axles front and rear for the wheeling I do. I'm currently using this time of year to start upgrading my jk for the offroad season. More or less like slow cooking lol. A 2 door 6.4 hemi sport wrangler with the stock D30 front D44 rear. Most of my wheeling is sand dunes desert bashing , and I'm thinking a pr rock44 front Pro rock 60 rear. For those out there who run pro rocks ! Is it overkill ? What is the power loss? Mpg ? Ohh and one more question. Do pro rocks use bigger brakes or the factory brakes bolt on right on them ?
Help me decide !

Because of th wheeling you like to do -"desert bashing" yiur front end is not going to last long. I can't say about the rear. Mostly the rears seem to be solid, but I am no expert on that. What size tires are you running?

As far as power loss- anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference is the weight of the axle itself (probably a couple hundred pounds heavier) so there should be NO noticeable power loss. I am also betting you would hardly notice the mpg. For the brakes- I am not positive, but I think depending on what setup you get from them, they probably have options for both reusing you fActory brakes, or if you buy a complete axle, they may be bigger- again not sure

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Jk958

Because of th wheeling you like to do -"desert bashing" yiur front end is not going to last long. I can't say about the rear. Mostly the rears seem to be solid, but I am no expert on that. What size tires are you running?

As far as power loss- anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference is the weight of the axle itself (probably a couple hundred pounds heavier) so there should be NO noticeable power loss. I am also betting you would hardly notice the mpg. For the brakes- I am not positive, but I think depending on what setup you get from them, they probably have options for both reusing you fActory brakes, or if you buy a complete axle, they may be bigger- again not sure

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Tire size is 35. So financially it's not a bad investment !

David1tontj

Tire size is 35. So financially it's not a bad investment !

I would replace the front for sure. You will not regret it. The rear wouldn't be a bad idea either, I just personally don't know if it's completely necessary. Obviously it would be a good idea, and you cannot go wrong with a pro-rock.

Jk958

I would replace the front for sure. You will not regret it. The rear wouldn't be a bad idea either, I just personally don't know if it's completely necessary. Obviously it would be a good idea, and you cannot go wrong with a pro-rock.

Do u have any idea if the PR60 is supplied with a 4.11 ratio ? Wouldn't be needing more than that, hemi's got the TQ !!

Jk958

Can I get one with a 4.11 instead of say a 4.88 with the PR60 ? Any idea ? Got tons of torque and don't really need a high revving screamer for the wheeling I do

David1tontj

Do u have any idea if the PR60 is supplied with a 4.11 ratio ? Wouldn't be needing more than that, hemi's got the TQ !!

They can put almost any ratio in it. They build it for you. They set it up exactly for your rig! You tell them how much lift, gear ratio, locker, etc, and voila! When my brother got his, he said now it drives on the road way better because it is made for a truck with his amount of lift.

Jk958

They can put almost any ratio in it. They build it for you. They set it up exactly for your rig! You tell them how much lift, gear ratio, locker, etc, and voila! When my brother got his, he said now it drives on the road way better because it is made for a truck with his amount of lift.

Dynatrac ! Shut up and take my money !
Wow that's great !! Well you see there is a PR44 in the jk shop we have but the guy was like we can swap the 4.11 for u if u want and that's the thing I don't want at all because Ring and pinion swap is a very sensitive job and Id rather wait a bit longer for Dynatrac to custom build one with 4.11 precisely rather than doing it wrong at the shop. There is no gear expert here in Dubai, that's why I'd rather wait !

Boji

Look around, there are some guys on here that are running 5.3's on beefed up D44's front and rear if thats an option for you

I hope it's OK if I chime in. I know this is a bit self serving, so I apologize in advance. Having spent much time in dunes and hard desert, I agree with the input from the others in this thread.

With the 2-door, 35's and the 6.4L Hemi, I would consider the ProRock 44 up front, and a ProRock 60 in the rear, as the place to start. If you see bigger tires down the road, you may want even more. We've got you covered either way. Call us and we can walk you through as many alternatives and quotes as you want. That's what we're here for.

I am sensitive to your concerns about competent gear work. We have found very few people give it the attention that we do. You get what you pay for. That does not mean we are the only ones capable, but I am supremely confident nobody does it better.

When I've been hot rodding in dunes, and desert, I eventually stuff both front or rear axles HARD to the stops. Air time is another sand dune thrill ride for me. It's only a matter of time before it happens to you. Result = bent housings and a maybe a long walk or tow. Both ProRocks will insulate you greatly from this fate. Nothing is indestructible, but if our thousands of other customers can't bend 'em, you won't either. The ProRock 60 in the back, or even our Pro60 Full-Floater will keep you reliable so you can let those big torque horses run and smoke 'em anytime. Why else did you get a 6.4L anyway?

Top Bottom