5.13 Gear ?'s

bman198

Okay so I'm a college student, so that means I'm flat ass broke! I'm working this summer and I want to be able to run 35's by the end of summer. Problem is that in order to do so you have to (or at least it is recommended) that you re-gear. I currently have 33's with the stock gears. If and when I do upgrade I won't be able to afford both together. Will it hinder me at all to have 5.13's with 33's? I feel like it would be overkill. Thanks!

2013CGJKU

Holy cow! 5.13s on 33s would be ridiculous. Definitely do them in the other order if you can't afford them both at the same time.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Get tires first then gears. I really dont think you will even need 5.13's with 35's. I think most people would tell you that 4.88's are perfect with 35's. Expecially if you do alot of highway driving

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

matt1171

5.13s are overkill with 35s. Plus I assume you have a sport or Sahara which means you have D30 front end and 5.13s give you a pretty small pinion gear that will be more prone to breaking. For 35s go with 4.88 with the 3.8L or 4.56 if you have the 3.6.

I have 4.88s and 35s and love it!!

bman198

Out of curiosity...
Assuming I have the right tools and such, how difficult would it be to do the work myself rather than taking it somewhere?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
With the 3.8 I would run 5.13's with 35's, especially if I planned on ever driving over mountain passes.

Otzy

Ah, sorry to tag along but reading this raised 2 more questions for me,

Like the OP said, is it something that he could do himself? or is that risky?

Also, for those of you that went up to 5.13's with 35's what kind of gas mileage are ya getting?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Which engine and which gears do you have now? If you have the 3.6L and you have 3.73s you may be fine for now. Ideal no, but ideal enough to save 1000-1500 on regear... Yes

I have been running my 37s with my stock 4.10s for a month now and under 70 mph it is perfectly fine. Above 70 it likes to drop to 4th on the slightest hill. You'd probably have similar on 35s and 3.73s. If you have 3.21s or the 3.8L totally different.

suicideking

Which engine and which gears do you have now? If you have the 3.6L and you have 3.73s you may be fine for now. Ideal no, but ideal enough to save 1000-1500 on regear... Yes

I have been running my 37s with my stock 4.10s for a month now and under 70 mph it is perfectly fine. Above 70 it likes to drop to 4th on the slightest hill. You'd probably have similar on 35s and 3.73s. If you have 3.21s or the 3.8L totally different.

OP signature says he has a 2011. So with the 3.8, 5.13 sounds right.

suicideking

Seems like the tow package came with 3.73...but feel free to correct me

There are two tow packages. Pretty sure only one of them includes the gear upgrade. I think there's 'tow' and 'max tow'. Only max tow includes the lower gears.

Best thing to do would be to take your VIN # and look up your sticker on the Jeep website. I always keep my sticker in the glove box + if you lookup your Jeep before they take it off the dealer website (new only) then you can download your sticker as a PDF.

Also agree that you shouldn't try to do the gears yourself. It's one of those things: If you have to ask...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
There are two tow packages. Pretty sure only one of them includes the gear upgrade. I think there's 'tow' and 'max tow'. Only max tow includes the lower gears.

Best thing to do would be to take your VIN # and look up your sticker on the Jeep website. I always keep my sticker in the glove box + if you lookup your Jeep before they take it off the dealer website (new only) then you can download your sticker as a PDF.

Also agree that you shouldn't try to do the gears yourself. It's one of those things: If you have to ask...

Seems like the tow package came with 3.73...but feel free to correct me

you can get the higher gears w/o getting the tow package. my 2011 came with the 3.73 but i know on the 2012+ models that come with 3.21's you can upgrade to 3.73's for about $350.

Chevy Dave

I ordered the tow package and still have 3.21s. Shoulda got 3.73s but like an idiot I never even thought of it until after I ordered it

OllllllllO Instagram @LucyTheJeep

HrdLine16

I have 5:13s and run 35s. I also have the older 3.8 engine. I went 5:13s because its auto. If I had an manual I would have gone with 4:88. I do a lot of driving on the highway and hit the trails on the weekends. I went with Yukon gears and Timken installation kit. At the same time I recommend purchasing the AEV procal turner. If you have hills in and around your area and run 35s without regearing, your transmission will be shifting in and out of overdrive a lot, causing a lot of heat build up. I would recommend getting 5:13s and having it installed by a reputable shop only because of the warranty. My gas mileage did go down a little.

suicideking

Anyone running 5.13 with 35's on the 3.6?

I'm asking because my next mods will be re-gear and 37's, but thinking about doing the gears first and then get the 37's a few months later so I can spread out the funds. :idontknow:

Sithwindu

Anyone running 5.13 with 35's on the 3.6?

I'm asking because my next mods will be re-gear and 37's, but thinking about doing the gears first and then get the 37's a few months later so I can spread out the funds. :idontknow:

That's what I'll be doing as well!

Top Bottom