Cutting Coil Springs

Eugene the Jeep

I removed the spare tire and mount from my rig and the rear is sitting about an inch higher now. Can I cut the rear coils to level out rear.

Josh27

I would not recommend cutting a coil spring. You are better off finding a spacer for the front to level it out.

Eugene the Jeep

That was my first thought. But I'd like to keep the ride height the way if was before I removed the tire.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
First, why someone would run without a spare is entirely beyond me. Not trying to be a jerk, but I wouldn't go without a spare around town, much less on a trail. If you blow a sidewall or lose a bead you are hosed.

In any event, I would never chop a spring. Get some pucks and raise the front.

Last edited:

David1tontj

I wouldn't do it- BUT- I knew a kid in high school who would lower cars all the time by hacking the springs with bolt cutters..... I never thought it was a good idea, but I know he did it to several cars. They probably bottomed out over every bump after that! Again- not recommended, and like Sharkey said- why no spare????

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Josh27

I wouldn't do it- BUT- I knew a kid in high school who would lower cars all the time by hacking the springs with bolt cutters..... I never thought it was a good idea, but I know he did it to several cars. They probably bottomed out over every bump after that! Again- not recommended, and like Sharkey said- why no spare????

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Yeah I have heard a lot of people chopping springs to lower cars, cheap and easy, but still not a good idea. Another option would be to put sandbags in the trunk like the old school hot rod guys did.

David1tontj

Yeah I have heard a lot of people chopping springs to lower cars, cheap and easy, but still not a good idea. Another option would be to put sandbags in the trunk like the old school hot rod guys did.

You don't have to convince me, I was just mentioning that I had heard of it being done. I still don't recommend it!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
If you cut them they would have to be heated and leveled out. As mentioned either put spare back or install pucks in front. One inch....to me is not that much.

GuillaumeC91

Haha belive it or not, guys still do this even today. As someone who was in high school only a few years ago I have seen my share of lowered Hondas that had cut springs.

On top of being a very bad idea, you have to remember that the coil essentially loses its seat which makes for horrible handling, a wobbly ride, and very awkward sounds when going over bumps :eek:

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

StrizzyChris

The first time I saw this product I laughed and thought I would only see its application in the hood on a JK with 30" wheels. Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine recommending them to someone BUT.....

low-ride-a LINK :crazyeyes:

JK_Epidimick

I knew guys who took a torch to the springs until it sagged. :)

Yup if it has to be done then this. You keep coil length but stiffens it up a little. Way better than cutting. Just make sure you have something to stop the sag from going to the ground lol.

Top Bottom