A Week in Moab / 1st real use of my DTD suspension

xflstl

I just got home from an amazing week in Moab, we had a total of 8 Jeeps and all but one of us had a great time.

I am the type person who is quick to jump on someone or some company when they do something wrong. In this case I would like to extent a huge thumbs up to Evo for the amazing job they did creating the Double thrown Down suspension. I have had it for over 1 year, and have been fighting to get it right that entire time. It was originally installed by Burnsville offroad out of Burnsville MN. They had springs installed wrong, and never did set it up correctly from the get go. Even for the last year setup incorrectly this suspension out proformed all JK's I wheeled with. I got a local shop who by talking to EVO did get it setup correctly just before going to Moab, and let me tell you m surprise when I found out just how truly mind blowing amazing this setup was to me. I found that driving behind my group down the trails, while they were going as quickly as there Jeeps could and not beat them to death, I was following bored to tears with the speed. On Hells revenge 3 or 400 yards past tip over challenge I passed my group and told them I would meet them at the exit. I took the rest of the trail as fast as I could, only stopping once as a tow strap came loose. At one point near the exit I was doing 70+mps over a series of whoop's. Seeing them coming up at that speed my passenger yelled for me to slow down, I didn't. 7 or 8 large whoop's in a row at that speed were reduced to what felt as if we had simply driven over a cattle guard. We stopped at the exit both laughing and giggling so hard at how we were in shock of what we had just done.... We timed it, 14 minutes later my group finally came into view.

While I was grinning the whole week at how well my Jeep preformed, I did have a number of setbacks. Found out with my Hemi I cannot run AC on the trail without a high likelihood of overheating. Also not long after I glided over large whoop's at 70mph with no negative results, I did find that this same terrain at about 35mph wasn't as sweet, came down hard between whoop's and bent the tubes on my rear RJ-60. Had a brand new winch fail, also had power steering that over heated several times. Rerouting the lines and moving the cooler seemed to get rid of the power steering issues. Had a ARB solenoid fail (gunk from my air tank) was the culprit. Finally on our last day there I killed my rear ring & Pinion on the way to do rusty nail, just after getting up Improbable hill.

Also my group had sever small thing to get fixed during the week. 3 different people all went to a small shop near Milts, I think it was called Moab Jeep repair or something similar to that. One guy got a front track bar replaced cheap and timely with no issues. The other two people one trying to get a front locker replaced the other just to get a stub shaft and ujoint replaced were both told 3 days after there repairs had been started to get the fu*k off the property by the owner after questioning what was taking so long.

All in all it was a great week. I am looking forward to my next (4th) trip there, hoping to either have a RJ-70 or prorock 80 in the rear by then, and to have my other minor issue's cleared up.

Again thanks to Mel and the EVO team, what a freaking amazing suspension system....:icon_crazy:

trailless

Caught the Bug
Sounds like fun, well except for all the problems your group had! Because of you I'm going to dream about the EVO DTD and flying through the whoops tonight!

I wonder if others on here dropped by that shop and what their experience was. Seems like a quick way to ruin a reputation, especially in the jeep community.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

xflstl

Sounds like fun, well except for all the problems your group had! Because of you I'm going to dream about the EVO DTD and flying through the whoops tonight!

I wonder if others on here dropped by that shop and what their experience was. Seems like a quick way to ruin a reputation, especially in the jeep community.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I know when the people from my group went over to Moab outpost to there stuff fixed correctly, that they were told "yup we get 15-20 customers a month that come here from the other shop with similar stories."

Bill S

Moab 4x4 Outpost fixed in a few hours what Red Canyon 4 Wheel Drive didn't do in three days. My locker still doesn't lock but Moab Outpost got my jeep fixed enough so I could safely drive it 1000 miles home.
Yes, his rig is as he says!

Top Bottom