1ton axle help....

Armydog

Ok, I need to know what these are and if they are worth modifying to run under the pumpkin? Am I looking for more trouble than it is worth? My plan was for pro-rock 44/60 combo... This could be better. Plus I found them for no cash out...
Came of a Chevy or GMC pickup truck, did not see them before they were pulled. I think I have a Corp 14 bolt rear and a king pin front but that's all I know.... Opinions? Build or sell?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879574.936950.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879587.224071.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879599.002216.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879607.851274.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879618.489595.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879629.425594.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879638.200872.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879647.865892.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879663.169433.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879680.836235.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879692.846317.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879706.169589.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879706.169589.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879734.542949.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879746.942212.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879756.790731.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879772.302699.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1402879786.475218.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

I might be wrong but that front would be a PIA as it isn't set up for driver side drop, would be a lot of work IF it can be done at all.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
That is a full float rear 14 bolt and a Dana 60 front out of a one ton GM truck. Strong axles for sure. As far as swapping them into a jk, it can be done but a different transfer case will be needed to get the output on the passenger side. Among lots of other things to get them under the jeep. Another thought is to trade the front GM Dana 60 for a Ford Dana 60 to get the diff on the driver side to work with the JK transfer case. Or trade both axles for a set of Ford axles to get matching gears if you weren't going to re gear.

Armydog

I might be wrong but that front would be a PIA as it isn't set up for driver side drop, would be a lot of work IF it can be done at all.

Can the front be ran upside down and gears in reverse? Heard this done before...

Is the rear worth the trouble to build? Disk breaks and stuff...

Armydog

That is a full float rear 14 bolt and a Dana 60 front out of a one ton GM truck. Strong axles for sure. As far as swapping them into a jk, it can be done but a different transfer case will be needed to get the output on the passenger side. Among lots of other things to get them under the jeep. Another thought is to trade the front GM Dana 60 for a Ford Dana 60 to get the diff on the driver side to work with the JK transfer case. Or trade both axles for a set of Ford axles to get matching gears if you weren't going to re gear.

The pumpkin is a TJ, 2005.... Probably the sane issues with drive side..... Is the rear worth building over the stock D44 in my rubicon now???

Thanks to you guys for the replies..

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Sorry, didn't realize it was a TJ, just assumed JK. The TJ would have the same issues as the JK though. The full float 14 bolt is one of the strongest axles out there without going to something like a Dynatrack or on up to a Rockwell 2.5 ton. With little work they will stand up to 40 inch plus tires. Quite a few had Detroit lockers from the factory I'm believe, all of the military cucv trucks had them with 4.56 gears and Detroits. The pinon gear has three bearings on it, one of which is on the snout and is supported by the housing itself so it doesn't deflect away from the ring gear, this is one reason why it's stronger. A lot of the rock bouncer guys are building them as front axles along with making them rear steer axles. They are plenty strong. I don't know of any known problems under normal use but with enough horsepower and/or torque and/or wheel hop etc. they can break just like everything else. However, with the abuse I've seen some put through, I don't believe I would ever break one when properly built. I'm working on one for my Burban.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Can the front be ran upside down and gears in reverse? Heard this done before...

Is the rear worth the trouble to build? Disk breaks and stuff...

I've heard of people running the fronts upside down but don't know much about it. For the price of a used single rear Dana 60 front axle though you could sell it and buy a Ford Dana 60. I don't know what you paid for your axles but most 60s around me go for $800-$1500+ depending on how they are built.

jeepwayoflife

Yeah I wouldn't waste my time with the stock 44 front. They are just slightly stronger than the Dana 30. Same tubes, ball joints, and inner C's. The only difference is 30 spline shafts instead of 27 and a larger ring gear and carrier.

You are better off building a d60 with anything 37"+

Armydog

Yeah I wouldn't waste my time with the stock 44 front. They are just slightly stronger than the Dana 30. Same tubes, ball joints, and inner C's. The only difference is 30 spline shafts instead of 27 and a larger ring gear and carrier.

You are better off building a d60 with anything 37"+

I agree about the stock front D44 - not worth building. I do plan on 37s and want to build it right. Sounds like the full float corporate 14 bolt may be a keeper but the D60 front might need to go in favor of a ford axle. Was planning a clayton long arm suspension so should probably try to do it all at the same time

I'll check the gearing in the D60 rear next and see what ratio is in there...

Also was thinking of running them full width, thoughts?

Armydog

I've heard of people running the fronts upside down but don't know much about it. For the price of a used single rear Dana 60 front axle though you could sell it and buy a Ford Dana 60. I don't know what you paid for your axles but most 60s around me go for $800-$1500+ depending on how they are built.

Axles were free... More of a horse trade...

FrankenJeeper

If you were closer to me I'd pick up the d60 front, I'm needing one with a passenger side diff for my CJ build.

I'd sell the 60 you have and source a ford 60 with the diff on the driver side.

A recent article in Peterson's 4-Wheel was about swapping a ford 60 into a JK. Might be worth checking out to get some info.

Good luck!

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jiffy05

I would say the rear axle is definitely worth building for your jeep. That front axle I would just sell and use the money for a Ford D60.

Patrfamilias

Tell me to shut up if I don't know what I'm talking about, but if you're going to go through the trouble of cutting up and rebuilding an axle, isn't there some with high-pinion?

Armydog

Armydog, what motor, tranny, and transfer case do you plan to run? Or are you keeping those stock?

Gonna keep the I6 until she dies. At almost 100K now, but runs strong. AFTER axles, long arm kit, suspension, beadlocks and 37s or 40s then I will start looking at a power plant swap....

Armydog

Tell me to shut up if I don't know what I'm talking about, but if you're going to go through the trouble of cutting up and rebuilding an axle, isn't there some with high-pinion?

I dream of pro rock 60s front and rear... Would be more than enough under a TJ, but is there EVER ENOUGH?

Armydog

If you were closer to me I'd pick up the d60 front, I'm needing one with a passenger side diff for my CJ build.

I'd sell the 60 you have and source a ford 60 with the diff on the driver side.

A recent article in Peterson's 4-Wheel was about swapping a ford 60 into a JK. Might be worth checking out to get some info.

Good luck!

If you want it, make an offer. I need a JE Reel rear driveshaft and adjustable rear control arms ( uppers).

FrankenJeeper

If you want it, make an offer. I need a JE Reel rear driveshaft and adjustable rear control arms ( uppers).

I appreciate it, but me being in Alabama, and you in Connecticut, shipping or gas to pick up would be a deal breaker for me.

You shouldn't have any trouble unloading it though, in my area CJ guys jump all over them fairly quick.

Top Bottom