Safety - Tube Doors & No Doors

JKFlyer

So I got body armor tube doors w netting. I love them...they look great and I am getting compliments everywhere I go. Almost as good as no doors but gives a little peace of mind.

But My issue is safety. Do you think they would really do anything in an accident? Particularity a side collission ? I am not even sure OEM doors would be much better as these are steel tubes but have no idea. I have a young child (8 years old) in a booster and I sit him in the middle of Back seat with these doors on. Wife and son love them but am I being stupid driving around like this? Trips to beach (1 hour drive)? We have been in jeeps for years. Used to drive w my son in TJ where he was right next to back plastic window which I guess was much worse than this. Anyway, when my parents see this the guilt comes on thick about it being dangerous. So curious what you guys think...tube doors & no doors Jeeps...on driving family members around?

Thx

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1402962336739.jpg
    1402962336739.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 319

2011jk

It depends on what hits you and the speed....8k lbs diesel truck with a big bumper ....likely they will use you as a crimple zone no matter what you do as far as doors.

BBrown626

Our '11 JK came with stickers warning that the doors were for protection from the elements, not a crash.

JKU EXTREME

What doors was it referring to? OEM? Half doors?

Thx

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app[/QUOTE]

The full OEM doors and top.

turbineguy

So I got body armor tube doors w netting. I love them...they look great and I am getting compliments everywhere I go. Almost as good as no doors but gives a little peace of mind.

But My issue is safety. Do you think they would really do anything in an accident? Particularity a side collission ? I am not even sure OEM doors would be much better as these are steel tubes but have no idea. I have a young child (8 years old) in a booster and I sit him in the middle of Back seat with these doors on. Wife and son love them but am I being stupid driving around like this? Trips to beach (1 hour drive)? We have been in jeeps for years. Used to drive w my son in TJ where he was right next to back plastic window which I guess was much worse than this. Anyway, when my parents see this the guilt comes on thick about it being dangerous. So curious what you guys think...tube doors & no doors Jeeps...on driving family members around?

Thx

As far as safety goes

no doors < tube doors < half doors < full doors < roll cage with 4-point harness < keeping kids at home in a rubber walled room

I will drive around town at low speeds with my youngest kids in the back with no doors being very careful. I wouldn't go on the highway or a trip longer than say 30 minutes.

I know some people with 4-doors who will leave the rear doors on.

It's not so much added crash protection/bracing I worry about as much as keep limps contained inside the vehicle.

Armydog

Doors on or off won't make any difference in a crash. The sheet metal factory doors, half doors, tube doors or no doors are not going to stop much at all. As long as your buckle up, the body and roll cage are the best you're gonna get. JMHO.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

pvanweelden

^×2. The only real safety benefit a door offers is, as long as the latch stays closed, it helps to keep your arms and legs inside in a rollover. I would take a trail door over a full door, since in theory the tube is somewhat structural as a factory door is not.
Frame mounted sliders offer some protection from a side impact, depending on how high the other vehicle is.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rccrwlr

Forget the doors. Add a heavy set of sliders. Side impact force will be distributed to the frame. Frame=strong

--rccrwlr

jeeeep

Hooked
as long as they are wearing their seatbelts I can say from experience a lifted Jeep is much safer than a stock Jeep.

I've been t-boned twice and both times it was the rock sliders that deflected the cars into the front wheels and kept them out of my lap. The Jeeps did not flip but that's partly because I was thinking enough to turn with the direction of the impact and kept my foot off the brake to allow the impact to travel through.

1st impact (about 10 years ago) other driver ran the red light at estimated speed of 40+ mph - the normal speed limit is 40 but witnesses on the sidewalk say they heard and saw him speed up after the light had turned red and even though he had time to stop he sped up. He hit me just under the drivers door and got deflected to the front end...I hit window and had some seat belt rash but otherwise all ok.

2nd time just about 3 weeks ago driver exited the freeway and failed to slow down and never attempted to stop when they hit me. They crossed several lanes to beat the light but all the turning traffic had come to a stop - they hit me, luckily not the Honda in front of me. My daughter was with me and all we felt was a hard thud like when wheeling and coming down hard on a rock. front axle/ suspension/ E-sway skid are all toast but the rock sliders and front JCR bumper just had scrape marks where the car went under us and into the front tire coming to a rest under the front bumper.

In either case, had we been stock - doors, no doors, half doors would not have made that kind of impact any less. I'm convinced the lift, rock sliders and 35's took all the impact and kept us from getting seriously injured.

JKFlyer

as long as they are wearing their seatbelts I can say from experience a lifted Jeep is much safer than a stock Jeep.

I've been t-boned twice and both times it was the rock sliders that deflected the cars into the front wheels and kept them out of my lap. The Jeeps did not flip but that's partly because I was thinking enough to turn with the direction of the impact and kept my foot off the brake to allow the impact to travel through.

1st impact (about 10 years ago) other driver ran the red light at estimated speed of 40+ mph - the normal speed limit is 40 but witnesses on the sidewalk say they heard and saw him speed up after the light had turned red and even though he had time to stop he sped up. He hit me just under the drivers door and got deflected to the front end...I hit window and had some seat belt rash but otherwise all ok.

2nd time just about 3 weeks ago driver exited the freeway and failed to slow down and never attempted to stop when they hit me. They crossed several lanes to beat the light but all the turning traffic had come to a stop - they hit me, luckily not the Honda in front of me. My daughter was with me and all we felt was a hard thud like when wheeling and coming down hard on a rock. front axle/ suspension/ E-sway skid are all toast but the rock sliders and front JCR bumper just had scrape marks where the car went under us and into the front tire coming to a rest under the front bumper.

In either case, had we been stock - doors, no doors, half doors would not have made that kind of impact any less. I'm convinced the lift, rock sliders and 35's took all the impact and kept us from getting seriously injured.

Wow. Thank goodness u and family were OK. U r very fortunate. Glad I am lifted w 37s w heavy sliders. Seriously it all makes sense.

Everyone else...great input. Looks like answer is to get a roll cage before anything else :banghead:. Really...great input. Didn't realize how crappy OEM doors are at the end of the day.

gleno99

Do you think the rubi rails are good enough to take an impact?

Rebel JK

With Pvan on this one. Minimum one set of heavy ass 130 wall 2 tube slides like the evo's if your looking to help with side impact.

Patrfamilias

My top and doors stay off all summer. I've never been hit very hard on the road, but I've got a two year old in a car seat and a seven yer old in a booster seat that go everywhere with me. I've spoken with three doctors and two police officers about it, and none had a problem with it. My kids' pediatrician has a jku and cruises his kids around door-less. Just teach them to keep their hands, feet and toys inside, and sit up straight.

I do get some pretty bad looks when it's raining though!:doh::cheesy:

Rccrwlr

Wow. Thank goodness u and family were OK. U r very fortunate. Glad I am lifted w 37s w heavy sliders. Seriously it all makes sense.

Everyone else...great input. Looks like answer is to get a roll cage before anything else :banghead:. Really...great input. Didn't realize how crappy OEM doors are at the end of the day.

You read the post by Jeeeep and you picked up getting a roll bar as your first upgrade? I though he stated it was the lift and the sliders that were his savior? :thinking: maybe I'm wrong as I'm just a stocker still myself

--rccrwlr

pvanweelden

^ he said he already has Lift, 37's and Sliders, so yes Rollcage would be his next step :thumb:

Jeeeep= Glad you and your daughter were OK

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You read the post by Jeeeep and you picked up getting a roll bar as your first upgrade? I though he stated it was the lift and the sliders that were his savior? :thinking: maybe I'm wrong as I'm just a stocker still myself

--rccrwlr

well he has the lift and 37's (no sure about weld on sliders) so jumping to the conclusion of a sport cage is understandable.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Mike, i would say a sport cage< like the rockhard cage, would be a good idea but if your looking to stay cheap then i would suggest just leaving your rear doors on when you have your son in the back.

Top Bottom