RK 1.5" Coils and Rancho RS9000XL shocks

ljvsnyder

Not sure if this is the correct area to post a suspension review, but here it goes. I have a 2013 JKU that had 16/58 coils running 285/75-16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS II tires. This was a decent combination stock, but after adding the D rated tires I found the ride to be much rougher and didn't want to really lift the Jeep really high since I have two small girls that have to climb in. Enter the Rock Krawler 1.5" systems. While a full system would have been great it wasn't in the budget. I reviewed a lot of different coil options, but having come from a Pure Performance lifted Ram 2500, I knew the manufacturer stood behind their product and their coils worked great with my heavy truck. So after a lot of debate on whether I could run just the coils I decided to give it a shot. Chose the 1.5" triple rate coils and paired it with a set of Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks, the $100.00 rebate helped with that decision. I did consider the Rancho 2" sport kit with RS9000XL shocks, but I wanted something that I could build on without having a frankin lift.

I have had the suspension on for several weeks now and have played with several settings. I don't see me using anything above 6 for the time being, this gave me a ride similar to the Ram 2500 with bilstien 5100 shocks. I then moved down to 1 all the way around and while the ride was extremely plush, it had way more body roll than I would like. Thinking that a mid point was the way to go went with setting 3 all they way around. This setting seemed great up front but a little stiffer in the rear. I adjusted the shocks in the rear down to 2 and ran this for about a week. The ride was a definite improvement over stock and the system gave the JKU what in my opinion is the perfect stance and what they should look like from the factory. So yesterday I chose to set the front to 2 and give it a try. This is now my preferred DD setting, while it isn't a Cadillac ride it is about as close as you get with a solid axle vehicle. There has been no additional decrease in fuel mileage with the lift over what I lost by going with the larger tires. I have not had my Jeep off road yet as there aren't many public trails in my area, as soon as I do I will update on the off road ability of this setup. On another note when I took my Jeep in for an alignment I had the tech check the entire suspension to see if I needed to add any parts to avoid damage, and he indicated that all components were within factory tolerances. Now for the best part pics.

Before tires and suspension

After tires

After suspension install.

This pic shows the only issue I have with this setup, the rear knobs are exposed to potential damage without some kind of guard. Any advice on this would be welcomed. I have contacted Rancho about this. I considered spinning the shock around but that doesn't allow for easy access to adjust the shocks. Kilby Enterprises makes a shock skid, but it wouldn't be any easier to adjust without removing the guard.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Looks good. With cut fenders I think 35" tires would look good. I've seen 2 door jeeps fit 37" tires with these coils. I think you can turn the shocks, but it's harder to adjust them. Not sure how often you adjust. Also these coils a nice ride? Never heard to much feedback on these short triple rate ones.
I'm guessing you got the 29 and 30 shocks, what size of bump stop are you running? Wondering if they unseat, being these are actually shorter than stock coils.

ljvsnyder

You are correct on the shock sizes. The ride is amazing. From the hud to bottom of the fender flare I netted about 2.5"s of lift. I figured I woyld remeasure after a month to see if there is any settling. The 1.5" coils are longer than the stock coils. The RK coils filled the shipping box and the stockers had a lot more room even with the packing stuffed in. I have a 1" bump stop up front. I haven't added any bump stop to the rear, but I may do so after some more testing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BlackRubiJKU

Looks good! I'm running the RK 1.5 on my wife's JKU with 285/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. She has my stock Rubicon shocks, and we are both very pleased with the ride. If you haven't reprogrammed for the larger tire; it makes a huge difference.

ljvsnyder

Already reprogrammed with a procal. Did you go with a full kit or just the coils?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom