Am I an idiot?

cddye

My 16yo step-daughter needs her first vehicle. She's a responsible kid, and she's saved up a few thousand dollars. There's a fair number of XJs available around here, and being an awesome red-blooded American girl, she's in love with them. Am I crazy for thinking about putting a teenage girl (who doesn't know how to check the oil- much less change it) in one? I actually like the low mpg (she's paying for her own gas, and that'll limit her adventures) and I know the 4.0 is damn-near bombproof, but I need a reasonably reliable vehicle for her and the dad in me says "6 year old civic for the win". That would be more expensive short-term, but might be a better option if the Jeep would constantly be in the shop. Help?

'14 JKU, Billet. Rubi rails, more to come.

CerOf

That's tough man. With several kiddos myself and the closest to driving 4 years out I'm thinking of the civic route myself. Too many things an older jeep require an ear to know when something is wrong.

Civic? Well maintained with 100k on the clock will do 250k.

Will take her through college and them some.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have one of each....get the jeep. She will make awesome memories in it. Have you ever heard anybody say remember that time we took the civic to...

hunterbilt

The jeep for sure! It is practically a tank and much safer than a little civic. Driving down the road I can immediately spot a jeep from a mile away. It will probably be a good thing if people can see her...

I don't foresee any of the responses to be biased..... LOL

My daily driver is a boring honda civic and I'm digging my 35 MPG. Not to mention the peace of mind that comes with Hondas reliability. Jeeps...not so much.

Flame on!

DA RUNT

XJ, I had a 98 and that thing was as reliable as a vehicle gets. Sold it to a buddy and it's still running strong. :twocents:

Beyrgut

Also keep in mind that while a civic is reliable and gets good mpg, it's also one of the most stolen vehicles. Reliability and good MPG don't mean much if it's missing :eek:.

sfrubicon

When I was 16 my buddy had a civic and we would fly in that thing it was out sports car , get the jeep. Lol

trailless

Caught the Bug
The jeep for sure! It is practically a tank and much safer than a little civic. Driving down the road I can immediately spot a jeep from a mile away. It will probably be a good thing if people can see her...

Oh really? The last Cherokee, XJ, made was 2001. The model tested below is a 1998 but I don't think much changed from 1998 to 2001.

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Jeep CH2.jpg

Jeep CH1.jpg

Credit to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

A 6 year old Honda Civic, 2009. I think it's the same vehicle as the 2008.

Honda CI2.jpg

Honda CI1.jpg

Credit to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Safety has come a very long way, especially in the last few years. OP, I would let my kid choose the vehicle they want BUT within reasonable current safety standards.

Last edited:

hunterbilt

Oh really? The last Cherokee, XJ, made was 2001. The model tested below is a 1998 but I don't think much changed from 1998 to 2001.

1998 Jeep Cherokee

View attachment 88849

View attachment 88850

A 6 year old Honda Civic, 2009. I think it's the same vehicle as 2008 as well.

View attachment 88851

View attachment 88852

Safety has come a very long way, especially in the last few years. OP, I would let my kid choose the vehicle they want BUT within reasonable current safety standards.

I was a passenger in an XJ when it flipped and I walked away. I also lost a very close friend in a car accident that was driving a civic. I guess there is so much testing you can do in a controlled setting. Not saying you are wrong about what was posted on the internet but these are my experiences with the two vehicles.

dwvninety

I was a passenger in an XJ when it flipped and I walked away. I also lost a very close friend in a car accident that was driving a civic. I guess there is so much testing you can do in a controlled setting. Not saying you are wrong about what was posted on the internet but these are my experiences with the two vehicles.

Agree. My friend totaled his Civic when he got into an accident with a Ford Mustang. The Ford driver was able to get out my friend had to wait for the Jaws of Life. Luckily everyone suffered minor injuries. He was lucky the car didn't catch on fire.

trailless

Caught the Bug

I completely understand where you're coming from. If I experienced both of your scenarios I would probably side the same as you. However, as you mentioned that your scenarios, are well, different scenarios. In a controlled environment you can see how both vehicles react to the same scenario. I'm not saying you're wrong nor am I saying that the internet is always right.

I'm just showing the OP research result from what I consider a reliable source.

pvanweelden

If you are ever considering building up the xj, stick to a 97 or 98. 99 up had coil pack issues and you will find a d35 rear axle and a lp30 front axle that jeep was throwing in them. 97-98 had a HP30 and a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

GuillaumeC91

At that age, she's always gonna be driving around with a bunch of friends. Only for that reason I would value the size of the Jeep rather than seeing a Civic dragging on the ground filled with 5 people. Crash ratings are one thing, but when size and weight are at play I wouldn't want to see loved ones in a small tin can 2 inches off the ground.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

JDDK

Jeep. my oldest started driving on his own last week too. we were looking for a civic but my 02 Tundra isnt selling. Feel better that he has a bigger lifted vehicle and cant aford to drive too far with 13mpg. I was in an unavoidable freeway head on in 92 hit by a 4runner. my wife and walked away without a scratch. I was in a toy pu with 40s. the impact split my engine block seriously. In a civic, they would have had a closed casket...big trucks save lives.

09 white jku 3" Teraflex, Metalcloak CAs, trackbar, tie, tera30 front axle, trutracs, 4.88s, 33" Nittos on Pro Comps, Besttop kit, quadrafloormats...

Top Bottom