Star fabs smart door system.

TrailBear

The only thing the wife didn't like with her new JK was the fact the doors just flop in the wind when open, a pain when putting the kids in the back, as soon as she said this it popped in my head a story I just read in the July 2012 copy of JP magazine.http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/154_1207_jk_wrangler_smart_door_upgrade/
So I went on Northridge4x4.ca and placed an order for the four door set, shipping is fast!
IMG_0787.jpg
So I opened it up pulled out the instructions to read up, very straight forward, and all parts were there:clap2:
Step one unplug the door wiring, then unhook the door strap, use a pillow to go between the door and front fender, for the rear in goes between the rear door and B-pillar.
IMG_0809.jpg
Step two cut out the template.
IMG_0788.jpg
Step three bolt the plate to the lower inner hinge, remove the upper bolt first, they made the bottom hole larger so you can bolt the plate on then remove the bottom bolt and put in the bottom bolt with a spacer.(New longer bolts are provided)
IMG_0789.jpg

Last edited:

TrailBear

Step four using some tape place the template on the door, take your time to line it up, mark the holes on the template on the door using a center punch, then remove the template.
IMG_0793.jpg
Step five drill the 1 3/4" hole in the door, I drilled a pilot hole first then used the bi metal hole saw.
IMG_0795.jpg
Step six fit the part to the door, make sure the bolt holes will line up, pull it back out and drill the holes to 5/16
IMG_0794.jpg
Step seven put the spring clips in place
IMG_0796.jpg
Step eight bolt the smart door unit into the door
IMG_0797.jpg

TrailBear

Step nine attach the smart door to the plate bolted to the lower hinge, open and close the door to check that there is nothing binding, and snug up all the nuts and bolts
IMG_0799.jpg
Step ten for the front you have to add a piece to the limit strap, place the extension over the strap, using a screw driver the same size as the needed hole I heated it up and made a hole in the strap then using the provided bolt attach the two, plug the wires back up, put the limit strap back on the hook, and your done!
IMG_0800.jpg
IMG_0804.jpg
The steps are the same for doing the rear door's, except in the instructions the tell you you have to remove the plastic on the inside of the B-piler to get to the wiring and limit strap, I found on ours there is an access panel to do so. Also rather then adding a strap extension they use a key ring.
IMG_0808.jpg
IMG_0810.jpg
Hopefully this is useful to some of you, here is the link to the site. http://www.starfabricating.com/

Top Bottom