RTV removal

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So next month im pulling my rocker skins to get sand blasted and repowder coated since they are rusting behind the powder. Now since im in the NE i put "the right stuff RTV" on the backside of my skins to keep the salt, water, snow, etc out from rusting the body. So what is the best way to remove the RTV? i saw for stickers the Goo Gone works well but still curious for this.

thanks!
Steve

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, your best best is to use a flat razor and scrape it off. If you're needing to do more clean-up beyond that, a scotch brite pad or wheel attachment on a drill will help clean it up better.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well, your best best is to use a flat razor and scrape it off. If you're needing to do more clean-up beyond that, a scotch brite pad or wheel attachment on a drill will help clean it up better.

I think he wants to remove it from the body and not the skins.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

sorry eddie i should have been a little more clear. i want to take the RTV off of the paint not the skin. i dont think a razor will be nice to my paint job lol

So next month im pulling my rocker skins to get sand blasted and repowder coated since they are rusting behind the powder. Now since im in the NE i put "the right stuff RTV" on the backside of my skins to keep the salt, water, snow, etc out from rusting the body. So what is the best way to remove the RTV? i saw for stickers the Goo Gone works well but still curious for this.

thanks!
Steve

Go to Home Depot and get a plastic 1 inch putty knife. It is strong enough to remove the RTV but not damage your paint.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:doh: Well then, what Will said would probably do the trick. If it were me, I would STILL use a clean flat razor. You'd be surprised at how well it works. In fact, I use one all the time when removing decals. I just apply GooGone to the paint when I do it as it act like a nice shaving cream to prevent damage to the paint.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Go to Home Depot and get a plastic 1 inch putty knife. It is strong enough to remove the RTV but not damage your paint.

thanks Will i will have to go and grab one :thumb:

:doh: Well then, what Will said would probably do the trick. If it were me, I would STILL use a clean flat razor. You'd be surprised at how well it works. In fact, I use one all the time when removing decals. I just apply GooGone to the paint when I do it as it act like a nice shaving cream to prevent damage to the paint.

i didnt think of using the goo gone as a shaving cream. good idea! if the puddy knife doesnt work then i will use the knife.

thank you everyone!

Rancho

Caught the Bug
How about something along the lines of eraser decal removal wheel?
It might be able to get through the RTV....

Attachments

• Eraser_.jpg
    Eraser_.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 139

jesse3638

Hooked
How about something along the lines of eraser decal removal wheel?
It might be able to get through the RTV....

I just saw one of these at the fire shop we take our engine to. I didn't know what it was, now I do. A razor will work really well just make sure to use even pressure. If you push too hard on one side or too close to the corners of the blade that where you can gouge the paint. And as Eddie mentioned a goo gone or soapy water help the blade slide on the paint rather that dig in. Make sure the blade is clean and sharp.

JKFlyer

Like Eddie said I have used a flat razor to remove rtv off of paint many times ( especially when I was trying to waterproof my wild boar hardtop) with no issues. Just be careful on angles. Definitely straight razor

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom