Grease for Johnny Joints

TheLloyd

I am looking at several different manufacturers of grease for my Johnny Joints. Currie, does not specify any brand that I can see. I know that Lucas products is pretty good, as is Royal Purple and Mobil 1. Can you share with me what you use and what it is you like about it? I understand some don't last as long, some "leak" out onto the driveway, Some are just pure bad stuff.

Thanks all!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i bought some red grease a while ago and it works good. i forget the brand honestly. i think just about any grease will do but dont take my word on it.

TheLloyd

Thanks CozDude!

I figured more people would have some input on the different types of grease that may perform better / worse. :doh:

I will just go with what I know and the brand I trust.

GCM 2

Just pick a grease....

I use Lucas grease, no preference really, sometimes it is the 'red tacky' other times it is their heavy duty grease. Although I tend to grease all fittings more than its required, it gives me an opportunity to inspect things before I go wheeling and stay on top of normal wear out points and parts. I think as long as you are greasing anything with a fitting ahead of, or on schedule, that is more important than any particular brand.

kmhenry77

I use Mobil 1. My background of 37 years of industrial electric motors and dri very train. There is a reason that Mobil grease is the standard grease for all ball and roller bearings around the world from the bearing manufacturers. Mobil synthetic greases keep motors running in applications that make any off road lubricant needs pale by far in comparison. In my experience royal purple greases have performed poorly where any moisture is present so they are not going in my Johnnys. I can't speak for Lucas lubes.

Sent from my SM-N900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

biggie332

I've been doing some research on this as well and what I came to the conclusion is I will be using Lucas red and tacky #2. Hope this helps.

TheLloyd

My experience tells me not to just grab any ole grease off the shelf. If that were the case, there would not be different types. Like your engine oil for example. You wouldn't just grab any ole oil off the shelf.

So my original question has to have some merit to it for further research.

JKFlyer

So I had surface rust on my JJ that are in sideways on evo tire carrier. Scrubbed down and spray WD 40 every time I was car.
Not exactly what u were asking but is related!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkjurny

So I had surface rust on my JJ that are in sideways on evo tire carrier. Scrubbed down and spray WD 40 every time I was car.
Not exactly what u were asking but is related!

I hear WD-40 isn't the best. If you do use it, get the WD-40 silicone or Lithium grease formula. I read somewhere that the traditional formula isn't good on rubber and polyurethane. Would like to get validation on what I'm recommending here though.

To the OP, I use Lucas heavy duty (dark green in color)

JKFlyer

I hear WD-40 isn't the best. If you do use it, get the WD-40 silicone or Lithium grease formula. I read somewhere that the traditional formula isn't good on rubber and polyurethane. Would like to get validation on what I'm recommending here though.

Didn't think of that. Thx

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm pretty sure this same topic has been discussed with some of the same people here and they still haven't learned. Lol :doh:

TheLloyd

To the OP, I use Lucas heavy duty (dark green in color)[/QUOTE]

How do you like the Lucas HD? Does it have good retention and not drip as it warms up?

jkjurny

How do you like the Lucas HD? Does it have good retention and not drip as it warms up?[/QUOTE]

No dripping at all. Been using it for 14 months now (greased 5 times). Have done the Rubicon Spring water crossing, and looks like the grease held up to that. No dripping at all that I've seen.

TheLloyd

Perfect, this is what I was looking for. Thanks for the input. I gotta believe that these different choices in grease provide different performance.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've used Lucas and started using Green Grease after one of my clients told me about. They use it on their farm equipment because it doesn't melt easily, stays pliable and is very water washout resistant. I've been using it almost a year (august) and it's been the best grease I've used so far.

I used to use Lucas Red n Tacky, but in the summer it seemed the stuff would melt out and leave a mess and in a freeze winter the ride would stiffen. I could also tell when the suspension needed greasing, the ride got a little harsher and noisier. When I took apart all my johnny joints for their yearly maintenance what grease was there was always hardened and not providing any benefit. I did replace almost all the bushings this last round.

Since I've been using the Green Grease, it seems to be holding up better. It's been about 8 months since I serviced the joints and they are new bushings so may not be a fair comparison. But, I haven't greased them since the maintenance and it's not noisy or harsh like it would get about every 4 months when using lucas.

I've been on several wheeling trips and it's seen a variety of different winter weather and so far so good. I plan to pull a couple the bushings apart late summer to see how the grease is holding up.

Top Bottom