Toyo vs. Nitto

To those of you on here who have personally driven on both and wheeled the crap out of both i am seeking your real life experiences!!

38.5" Nitto mud grappler
38.5" Toyo open country M/T

My JKU currently runs the second tire the Toyo but it is getting low in tread has 70,000km on it only like 40% left so looking at unloading it and buy new! the jeep is only a toy now as i bought a car to drive daily so it only get to see pavement when driving to and from the trails. In Ontario Canada though the trails are 2-4 hours away from my home so 250-350km drive each way every other weekend.

I love my toyo tires but they are $$$$$$$ and I love change to me change in life is good :) but i dont want to buy another tire spend all that cash and go damn i should have just got myself yet another set of Toyo im on my 2nd set in 2 years (upsized)

I know you guys down in Cali and stuff love Nitto, but its funny because in Canada everyone hates nitto says they were design for "show trucks" like at sema and dont work well and wear like shit have weak side walls blah blah, Recently my sister started working for one of the largest tire distributors in Canada though and she told me that Nitto is owned by Toyo its a division of their company which is interesting to me because my Toyo last for every on the road and tough as hell offroad!!

I want to stay in the 38-39" tire size range no bigger no smaller Im very happy with my jeep on that size of rubber and my choices seem to be very limited there. the mud grapplers come in that size for a 18" rim and the toyo a 16" rim which i currently run.

So can people please tell me who have actually driven on and wheeled with both of these brands not only one brand dont need bias opinions as to the pros and cons of each tire?

Where i wheel we have a lot of Canadian sheild rock wich is large slabs of granit and such not the sandy rock stuff like moad has ours is more slick and most times your coming out of a mud whole in the maple forests up onto a rock so it is slick as hell. Out of all my buddys some on MTZ some on Pro Comp Boggers, tsl SX, and a few other brands the Toyo seems to out perform most in these situation.

the mud grappler gives me the means ass look i want but will it make me as happy as the toyo? or maybe i should just go right to an Interco tire like an Irok or a Pitbull rocker bias ply like something totally different that not a lot of guys run...

Thanks in advance for your real world experiences with each!

StrizzyChris

Too much for me to read(just being honest) but I'll share my experience.

Had 35" Nitto muds and they were loud as hell but great tires. The large lugs create rolling resistance and a drop in mpg.

Have 37" Nitto TG now and actually have seen a 1 mpg improvement over my 35" muds. They are quieter and are great OffRoad but I'd have to say that my muds were better when wheeling.

Toyo MT have a thicker sidewall and slightly harder rubber compound. For those reasons the tread life will be longer(given same use conditions) and sidewall will be less likely to became damaged even though I've only seen a few Nittos have that damage.

If a highway/personal use vehicle AND off road rig, I'd go with Nitto TG. Softer compound than the toyos for off roading but not as aggressive of a tread to help a little with mpg and noise compared to the Nitto MG.

If strictly want a beast of a tire and can sacrifice noise pollution for off road capabilities... go with the muds.

If almost all highway and looking for longest tread life go with Toyo mts

......muds!

One thing to consider is lateral stability on muddy hills. The "Muds" do a great job of moving forward, but I have seen guys slide down off camber hills that they should've stuck to... (when greasy in the OH clay). Just my :twocents: I love them otherwise.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i would agree with Chris. go with the muds. i have them and love them! great off road and great on road as well. but since your jeep is basically trail only the muds will do wonders for youover the toyos

would you all agree that the sidewalls flex well? and are tough puncture resistant like the toyo? my other option is a Bias ply Pitbull rocker 39.5" but no one seems to run them really

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
yes my mud grapplers sidewall flex's REALLY well lol

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377393598.218042.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377393598.218042.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 386
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378375909.021000.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378375909.021000.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 385

DMF

are the nitto only 3 ply? and toyo 8 ply? if so i have a hard time believing the nitto is a tough tire haha

Toyo's are E Load, 10 ply rating vs Nitto D Load, 8 ply rating. They both have 3ply side walls. I ran an E load Toyo tire on my 6k+ pound truck because I tow a 10k pound trailer. I don't think an E load tire is necessary at all for a Jeep. I'm new to wheeling though but E vs D load is pointless when you air down your tires. These E load tires are design for 80+ PSI.

Last edited:

Vettethret

To those of you on here who have personally driven on both and wheeled the crap out of both i am seeking your real life experiences!!

38.5" Nitto mud grappler
38.5" Toyo open country M/T

My JKU currently runs the second tire the Toyo but it is getting low in tread has 70,000km on it only like 40% left so looking at unloading it and buy new! the jeep is only a toy now as i bought a car to drive daily so it only get to see pavement when driving to and from the trails. In Ontario Canada though the trails are 2-4 hours away from my home so 250-350km drive each way every other weekend.

I love my toyo tires but they are $$$$$$$ and I love change to me change in life is good :) but i dont want to buy another tire spend all that cash and go damn i should have just got myself yet another set of Toyo im on my 2nd set in 2 years (upsized)

I know you guys down in Cali and stuff love Nitto, but its funny because in Canada everyone hates nitto says they were design for "show trucks" like at sema and dont work well and wear like shit have weak side walls blah blah, Recently my sister started working for one of the largest tire distributors in Canada though and she told me that Nitto is owned by Toyo its a division of their company which is interesting to me because my Toyo last for every on the road and tough as hell offroad!!

I want to stay in the 38-39" tire size range no bigger no smaller Im very happy with my jeep on that size of rubber and my choices seem to be very limited there. the mud grapplers come in that size for a 18" rim and the toyo a 16" rim which i currently run.

So can people please tell me who have actually driven on and wheeled with both of these brands not only one brand dont need bias opinions as to the pros and cons of each tire?

Where i wheel we have a lot of Canadian sheild rock wich is large slabs of granit and such not the sandy rock stuff like moad has ours is more slick and most times your coming out of a mud whole in the maple forests up onto a rock so it is slick as hell. Out of all my buddys some on MTZ some on Pro Comp Boggers, tsl SX, and a few other brands the Toyo seems to out perform most in these situation.

the mud grappler gives me the means ass look i want but will it make me as happy as the toyo? or maybe i should just go right to an Interco tire like an Irok or a Pitbull rocker bias ply like something totally different that not a lot of guys run...

Thanks in advance for your real world experiences with each!

I ran the 38x15.5x18 Nitto Muds on my 12 and loved those tires (Below). I will be running 38x15.5x20 with Slabs on my new rig. I took my 12 up to Big Bear quite a bit and thought the Grapplers did great in the snow for being a Mud tire.
2012 Jeep.jpg 2012 JEP2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic! they look great! I ordered the mud grapplers now gotta wait for them :) i hope they are worth all the hype and not a waste of cash we shall see!

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Sorry to revive an old thread but this info is perfect for what i was searching for. Glad all my questons have already been answered on here.

Top Bottom